By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Switch online priced at 2000-3000 yen yearly ($17.50 - $26.50 USD)

Thats so cheap that you kind of ask yourself what is the point of Nintendo charging? I guess that explains why you only get one classic game a month though.

Around the Network

Why the price discrepancy? I'm guessing $20-$30.

I don't see why the online would be worse. From what I've played, Nintendo already has good online from a network perspective. At least compared to playstation. I haven't noticed any connectivity differences between PS and the NN. They both lag just as often. What PS and XB have are far superior features, which never needed a subscription to make.

My Nintendo rewards, on top of just having sales, takes care of discounts and free games. That really only benefits people who only buy digital games, though. (which, again, should be everybody) The app takes care of the social aspects. We just have to see how good the app is. I still don't think using an app is a death nail. There's nothing about the social features that necessitate being on a console. In fact, focusing it all on an app can have benefits.

For example, most people don't use the PS app because they don't have to (and because it sucks on iOS), but there are benefits to using it over a console. Messaging, for example. Right now, all of my PS friends are on a Facebook messenger group. That's how we let each other know we're online. I'm sure some people use Skype and other 3rd party apps. The benefit to using a first party app is that everything is connected to the chat. So I can, for example, message the group chat "is anybody on?," and send a party invite to whoever responds to the message in app so that all I have to do is play when I boot up my console. Also, typing on a phone is obviously going to be more convenient than typing on the Switch, especially because of its size and shape.

The important thing here is that everything becomes streamlined. The thing about the example above is that it only works if everybody is using it. That's why I'm such a big advocate of forcing change. People don't want to try new things, but people want progress. My Nintendo is awesome, but only if you only buy digital games, because you accrue points more quickly, meaning you get more discounts. Because Nintendo isn't forcing people to use it the way it was clearly designed to be used, most people won't reap those benefits.

I'll bite at that price. Even if I don't game online that much, this is basically a few bucks a month. Can think about it like I'm skipping my morning coffee one day a month. Not that I really need to rationalize it, but it puts things in perspective.

I'm curious if they'll offer more expensive packages, or increase the price over time.

NNID: Zephyr25 / PSN: Zephyr--25 / Switch: SW-4450-3680-7334

would basically mean that ps+ and games with gold users are pay $20 a year for online and $30 a year for free games. i will never understand how anyone can complain about the games provided for the cost applied in ps+/GwG...

anyways,.. it makes nintendo's service a bit easier take but i still doubt that i would subscribe to it. i'd never buy splatoon and even $20 isn't worth it to me for mario kart. it is hard for me to rectify the ideas that for a majority of us NS would be considered a secondary console but they still want me to pay for a online service even though traditionally nintendo makes very few online enabled games.

I dunno. If they are really going that cheap they might as well as make it free. They gain tons of goodwill with consumers and they keep every consumer in the same base. A paywall will divide consumers and their online needs as many people as they can get.

Around the Network

I'm happy that it's rather cheap. I personally just want to play games online, nothing more.

There goes my biggest concern, down into the drain.

We'll. I was expecting that sort of price based on the features they announced. $30 isn't a hard pill to swallow for most.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

So you get 12 NES or SNES games a year for $20-30? Some games will even have new online functionality. A SNES game costs $8 on the Wii U virtual console, so this is not a bad deal at all.

"The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must" - Thoukydides

Oh, wow. I was confident that Nintendo would hold off on announcing their online pricing until they worked out the bugs to their online services. I was wrong but if the price is that low, I understand why they're willing to announce it now.  I'm guessing the price is low because they know there's very little consumer confidence in their online services.