By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Splatoon 2 has voice chat... "using smart devices"

SegataSanshiro said:
Don't own a smartphone or tablet. Guess I will never use voice chat.

You could always pick up a decent smartphone for $50-100. I'd recommend it so you can have GPS and whatnot with you anywhere you go. 

I don't really use my phone much- I read the news when I'm bored at work, and answer a few calls. Otherwise, I don't really get hooked onto it.

Around the Network

Who cares about your voice chat complaint. Why is local multiplayer limited to multiple devices? Why no split screen?

monocle_layton said:
SegataSanshiro said:

You could always pick up a decent smartphone for $50-100. I'd recommend it so you can have GPS and whatnot with you anywhere you go. 

I don't really use my phone much- I read the news when I'm bored at work, and answer a few calls. Otherwise, I don't really get hooked onto it.

Too much money and no use for it.

Nuvendil said:
Still not sure what they mean by using smart devices. Is it the actual vehicle for chats? Is it how you set up parties? Like, what is it.

In the interest of pointing out some irony, I will say the integrated general chat on my PS4 is a ghost town in games like Titanfall 2, Battlefield 1, etc etc. And very few people I know use it, most opting for Skype. Kinda funny that while people are desperate for integrated voice chat on Switch, integrated voice chat at least on PS4 is pretty under utilized from what I have seen (probably due to how obnoxious it can be).

Which is why some games have the option to mute player. And how does this app even prevent those toxic players from talking to you? That argument is defly not a valid reason for no built-in voice chat

Who knows. Maybe the app will just make sense once we have it.

This ambiguity is terrible for PR, though.

Around the Network

What a nonsense method if its the only way of doing it...

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

SegataSanshiro said:

I feel like if you're fine with not owning a smartphone, you're probably not someone who care's about something like voice chat, anyway.

spemanig said:
SegataSanshiro said:

I feel like if you're fine with not owning a smartphone, you're probably not someone who care's about something like voice chat, anyway.

I like having the option and not force dinto owning something else for a feature that should be built in. My Dreamcast has better voicechat than a 2017 console. Yes you can still hook the DC online.

m_csquare said:
Nuvendil said:
Still not sure what they mean by using smart devices. Is it the actual vehicle for chats? Is it how you set up parties? Like, what is it.

In the interest of pointing out some irony, I will say the integrated general chat on my PS4 is a ghost town in games like Titanfall 2, Battlefield 1, etc etc. And very few people I know use it, most opting for Skype. Kinda funny that while people are desperate for integrated voice chat on Switch, integrated voice chat at least on PS4 is pretty under utilized from what I have seen (probably due to how obnoxious it can be).

Which is why some games have the option to mute player. And how does this app even prevent those toxic players from talking to you? That argument is defly not a valid reason for no built-in voice chat

I never said it was an argument, just that the situation is an ammusing juxtaposition. 

Hmm this isn't that surprising, after what we've previously heard, but the closer we get to the actual release, I feel it's going to have an increasingly larger impact. I won't mind, personally, but I can see why other people would.