By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Splatoon 2 has voice chat... "using smart devices"

m_csquare said:
spemanig said:
Stupid question - can you use voice chat on the PS4/XBO when you're not on your console?

In other words, if all your friends are in a party, but you're not by your PS4/XBO, you can't join, right? That would be a pretty cool marketable advantage for the Switch.

There are already thousands apps for that kind of thing on mobile phone

Are they first party apps?

Around the Network
monocle_layton said:
m_csquare said:

so there's clearly demand for it then, right? nintendo can make a voice chat app for the Switch to get more users to join. I can see a Wechat type of strategy for Nintendo to gain power in voice chat apps

Pls tell that to miitomo

spemanig said:
m_csquare said:

Does it even freakin matter? I swear these questions sometimes..

Don't care for voice chat at all in Splatoon 2. Rarely used it playing games on 360.

The Switch should be able to run an app for voice chat fine... I wonder if this is just a way for Nintendo to install another one of their apps to your phone? Dunno.

spemanig said:
Stupid question - can you use voice chat on the PS4/XBO when you're not on your console?

In other words, if all your friends are in a party, but you're not by your PS4/XBO, you can't join, right? That would be a pretty cool marketable advantage for the Switch.

I imagine if you're away, your phone will be able to notify you that your friends are playing something or whatever...

Around the Network
m_csquare said:
spemanig said:

Lmao, are you joking? Of course it matters. What, are you talking about Skype or something? Can you not see the objective advantage to being able to access these functions directly from your platform friends list everyone on the platform has instead of from a third party friend's list? 1st party apps are more convenient because they're more integrated. I don't have to add every Nintendo friend I make to Skype just so I can talk to them, making sure they all have skype in the first place. It also makes the network bigger and more reliable. Everyone with a Nintendo subscription should have the app, meaning the breadth of who can join a party expands. With a not everyone who has a Nintendo subscription will have Skype, meaning the web of interconnectivity is immediately smaller. On PS4, when I join a party, i have a possible web of everyone I'm friends with, everyone they're friends with, and so forth infinitely who can be added with ease. That can't happen with third party apps. It's clunky and not ideal for social interaction, which is the point.

KLAMarine said:

The Switch should be able to run an app for voice chat fine... I wonder if this is just a way for Nintendo to install another one of their apps to your phone? Dunno.

spemanig said:

I imagine if you're away, your phone will be able to notify you that your friends are playing something or whatever...

I mean, that's a given. What's up for grabs is literally being able to join party chats while away from your Switch. That would be cool.

m_csquare said:
spemanig said:

No need to be such a dick about it.

They're good questions that basically point to the bigger question- what potential does Nintendo have with these apps? Seeing how most people said they use Skype, imagine if even 5% of all skype users used Nintendo's service- that is a lot of people.

spemanig said:
m_csquare said:

Lmao, are you joking? Of course it matters. What, are you talking about Skype or something? Can you not see the objective advantage to being able to access these functions directly from your platform friends list everyone on the platform has instead of from a third party friend's list? 1st party apps are more convenient because they're more integrated. I don't have to add every Nintendo friend I make to Skype just so I can talk to them, making sure they all have skype in the first place. It also makes the network bigger and more reliable. Everyone with a Nintendo subscription should have the app, meaning the breadth of who can join a party expands. With a not everyone who has a Nintendo subscription will have Skype, meaning the web of interconnectivity is immediately smaller. On PS4, when I join a party, i have a possible web of everyone I'm friends with, everyone they're friends with, and so forth infinitely who can be added with ease. That can't happen with third party apps. It's clunky and not ideal for social interaction, which is the point.

Sure if you think it matters

https://www.playstation.com/en-gb/explore/ps4/features/playstation-app/

http://store.steampowered.com/mobile

I for once never see those things matter. When was the last time you see ppl complain abt the  lack of those features from these two apps?

m_csquare said:
spemanig said:

Sure if you think it matters

https://www.playstation.com/en-gb/explore/ps4/features/playstation-app/

http://store.steampowered.com/mobile

I for once never see those things matter. When was the last time you see ppl complain abt the  lack of those features from these two apps?

Wow, had no idea these things existed.