By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is Scorpio truly a mid gen upgrade or 9th gen system? My opinions. An exciting new console war is coming!

I just heard that Scorpio is shaping up so well, that even someone at MS is surprised that it is more powerful than expected. If true, it could actually be more powerful than the given specs. Maybe over 6 teraflops. Maybe other boosts. This to me indicates that this could really be better categorized as a 9th gen machine that is backwards compatible. 

MS has backpedaled more than once. Perhaps Scorpio will go with exclusives after all. Why hold back their games for weaker XB1 compatibility? Or maybe they will start out that way and phase out XB1 slowly. MS wants to win. They must secretly be enraged at PS4's success and want to destroy it. This would be their best chance. If anything, they must at least want to take back America, like in the 360 days.

Let's not forget that MS basically abandoned ship on the original Xbox in under 5 years. PS2 was crushing it, and that was not acceptable. This possible 9th gen Scorpio would give them the 9th gen advantage over PlayStation like with 360 over PS3. So Switch would be the new Wii and Scorpio would be the new 360. This would put PS5 at a disadvantage. 

Only PS4 Pro could stave off these attacks, however, I think that Sony would have to make PS4 Pro more advanced, better priced, and more attractive. What I mean is this: 1. Add an UHD Blu-ray drive. 2. Cut the price to $350 to $370. Scorpio will likely be priced at $500 plus. This would give the pro an advantage. 3. Pack in a game. 

Well, what do you guys think? I look forward to the comments.

Around the Network

I really don't give a shit anymore...

Its a new system. That's all.

KLXVER said:

What? Sales are the heart of Vgchartz. Your comment is too boring imo. This is a time of exciting console wars! 

niceguygameplayer said:
KLXVER said:

What? Sales are the heart of Vgchartz. Your comment is too boring imo. This is a time of exciting console wars! 

Sales has nothing to do with it being a 9th gen system or not...

KLXVER said:
niceguygameplayer said:

Of course it does! A true next gen Xbox would generate sales that could threaten PS4 sales. Did you read my whole post?

Around the Network
niceguygameplayer said:
KLXVER said:

Of course it does! A true next gen Xbox would generate sales that could threaten PS4 sales. Did you read my whole post?

So the WiiU is not a 8th gen system because it sold badly then?

I don't think it really matters what we call it, but i personally wouldn't consider the Scorpio a 9th gen system. As a mid-gen upgrade, it's shaping up to be great console (provided you don't have a better speced PC, which most won't). As a generation jump, i'd consider it rather underwhelming.

KLXVER said:
niceguygameplayer said:

So the WiiU is not a 8th gen system because it sold badly then?

I didn't say or imply that. New does not automatically equivocate strong sales. Even though Wii U was true 8th gen, it was too underpowered to directly compete with the other 8th gen competition. I really think you are misunderstanding my post. It seems you are having a bad day. Cheer up man. This is just a fun console war strategic post. 

Zekkyou said:
I don't think it really matters what we call it, but i personally wouldn't consider the Scorpio a 9th gen system. As a mid-gen upgrade, it's shaping up to be great console (provided you don't have a better speced PC, which most won't). As a generation jump, i'd consider it rather underwhelming.

It may be underwhelming. I'm just going on what I've learned. None of us know how powerful it will be yet.

Digital Foudry said they probably leaved Jaguar CPU inside so its mid gen upgrade.