By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is Scorpio truly a mid gen upgrade or 9th gen system? My opinions. An exciting new console war is coming!

Pemalite said:
derpysquirtle64 said:

It doesn't matter. I doubt these hardcore PC gamers will be interested in MS games anyway even if they release them on Steam. 

You would be surprised.
It really depends on the genre, some types of genres do stupidly well on PC, in-fact better than console.

Fable for instance even after a decade after it's release would still go on sale and hit the top of Steams sales charts, that's some long legs. Sadly, outlets like vgchartz don't really keep track of sales over such a long period.

I'm just judging by myself. I was playing only on PC for 15+ years and was never interested in Halo/Gears/Fable for example despite them having some games on PC. As well as a lot of PC gamers I know

Around the Network
JRPGfan said:
Jranation said:
I can see MS slowly phasing out the Original Xbox and Slim versions.

Then it really is a new gen.

I still wouldn't view it as such though, if Sony discontinued the Slim PS4 the end of 2018 and said "from now on Pro is the standard model and the only one available for purchase.", I wouldn't say the Pro is now suddenly the generation after.

If they take an iterative approach, phasing out models and phasing in new models then generations are over regardless. It's no secret Microsoft are keen on ditching the whole "generation" thing.

Mid gen update on paper and pr, next gen system going by the exclusive VR games and accessories.

niceguygameplayer said:

I just heard that Scorpio is shaping up so well, that even someone at MS is surprised that it is more powerful than expected. If true, it could actually be more powerful than the given specs. Maybe over 6 teraflops. Maybe other boosts. This to me indicates that this could really be better categorized as a 9th gen machine that is backwards compatible. 

MS has backpedaled more than once. Perhaps Scorpio will go with exclusives after all. Why hold back their games for weaker XB1 compatibility? Or maybe they will start out that way and phase out XB1 slowly. MS wants to win. They must secretly be enraged at PS4's success and want to destroy it. This would be their best chance. If anything, they must at least want to take back America, like in the 360 days.

Let's not forget that MS basically abandoned ship on the original Xbox in under 5 years. PS2 was crushing it, and that was not acceptable. This possible 9th gen Scorpio would give them the 9th gen advantage over PlayStation like with 360 over PS3. So Switch would be the new Wii and Scorpio would be the new 360. This would put PS5 at a disadvantage. 

Only PS4 Pro could stave off these attacks, however, I think that Sony would have to make PS4 Pro more advanced, better priced, and more attractive. What I mean is this: 1. Add an UHD Blu-ray drive. 2. Cut the price to $350 to $370. Scorpio will likely be priced at $500 plus. This would give the pro an advantage. 3. Pack in a game. 

Well, what do you guys think? I look forward to the comments.

Sorry but what console war? PS4 has sold double that of XB1 globally, the war is over. Even in the exclusive front, PS4 is in another league, just this month alone 6 AAA exclusives for the PS4.

PS4 is so far ahead and dominant it's actually sad they don't have any competition from MS.