By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - 9th Gen starts on March 3

???

YES, Switch is a 9th Gen Console 220 40.59%

NO, Switch is a small upg... 322 59.41%

Total:542

The fact that some people still think that gens are defined with consoles' horsepower kind of saddens me. Yep, Switch is a 9th gen console, I agree. There aren't reasons to think otherwise.

Around the Network
Alkibiádēs said:
HollyGamer said:

Yeah , because Vita is 6th gen and also it never proclaimed as console so it doesn't have any gen. 

Lol, what?

Because handled has their own gen, and targeted different consumer, and have lower spec then home consoles so, It doesn't compete with consoles. Not even indirectly. 

Volterra_90 said:
The fact that some people still think that gens are defined with consoles' horsepower kind of saddens me. Yep, Switch is a 9th gen console, I agree. There aren't reasons to think otherwise.

To bad then if Switch is 9th gen . Apple and Andorid has release their 9th product  a head , if you think gen is not define by spec. 

No, it's not the 9th generation. I would claim generations are already over and that we will see a more fluid market with different consoles launching at very different times along with iterations of existing consoles with improvements of performance.

Green098 said:

Well in factual terms, console generations are not opinions you can pick and choose where they stand. The Switch is a successor to the Wii U and 3DS which were 8th gen Home and Handheld consoles so therefore in a factual context the Switch is 9th gen.

This.

DonFerrari said:
nope, a gen start when sony says so

Though, you make a good argument. Hmm...

Around the Network
HollyGamer said:
Volterra_90 said:

To bad then if Switch is 9th gen . Apple and Andorid has release their 9th product  a head , if you think gen is not define by spec. 

It's a WiiU sucessor, that makes the Switch 9th gen by definition. And Apple and Samsung don't make consoles as far as I know, so I don't think it has anything to do with the subject. I don't believe in this modern "number wars". The Switch will provide new ways for entertainment, new games, a brand new concept... So, why are we so obsessed about power and specs that we forget about what matters, and start defining gens just by power? Can't we play awesome games on the Switch because of that? No. Tech can't be the only thing that matters. I refuse to believe that's what gaming is all about. A power race. That should never be the new metric.

Volterra_90 said:

It's a WiiU sucessor, that makes the Switch 9th gen by definition. And Apple and Samsung don't make consoles as far as I know, so I don't think it has anything to do with the subject. I don't believe in this modern "number wars". The Switch will provide new ways for entertainment, new games, a brand new concept... So, why are we so obsessed about power and specs that we forget about what matters, and start defining gens just by power? Can't we play awesome games on the Switch because of that? No. Tech can't be the only thing that matters. I refuse to believe that's what gaming is all about. A power race. That should never be the new metric.

and then it's wii U an 8th gen consoles ??????

Apple and samsung are making games 

And Switch will not provide anything new , (a lot of games are from Wii U and will come later on another port from Wii U) hell, even their arms games are from 6th games era LOL

And yes Switch is awesome, i just responded to the discusion , even Switch is awesome that alone cannot define as 9th gen. 

Ljink96 said:
Anybody who truthfully thinks Switch isn't 9th gen has to turn to the past of what defines a generation. It's not graphics, or games, or power. It's the fact that it's schematically a brand new console different than its predecessor or totally new in existence. Case and point, Sega Genesis, Super Nintendo, Turbografx. Genesis and SNES were much more powerful and more capable than the Turbografx, but it's still considered a 4th generation console. If Scorpio is just an upgrade that plays Xbox One games...do we call that "Not 9th gen" as well?

However as others have pointed out, Generations are about to become so blurred, it doesn't even matter anymore. I'm predicting that Generations won't be around like we knew them and I'd been saying this for some time. It's just how technology is going and agendas change, we won't have "Generations" in the future.

Nope, Scorpio isn't 9th gen.

HollyGamer said:
DonFerrari said:

That would even help people stop saying that there is only nintendo haters here.

Then  Nintendo fans will not complain about Nintendoom thread again. Because Vgchartz Nintendo are build for Nintendo die hard fans :) all news will be positive even if Nintendo are in great disaster, all news will be around how wonderfull is Nintendo. :)

And all will be good on earth.

Volterra_90 said:
HollyGamer said:

Nope it doesn't. The only "next gen games" it would play with that definition would be Nintendo, because all others would be on 8th gen and Switch not even being truly able to play them. So unless you think a generation is made by a sole console in tandem with the market then you are about crazy.

And if the tech isn't what define a new gen, why release a next gen console with basically the same HW power?

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Shadow1980 said:
With Nintendo being on 5-year cycles and Sony & MS on 7-8-year cycles, things are going to start looking rather goofy if people who call the Switch "9th-gen" are classifying things. Let's say the PS5 and Xbox 4 both come out in 2020-21 and the Switch's successor (assuming it does well enough to keep Nintendo making consoles) comes out in, say, late 2022. Will we already have a 10th-gen system coming out only a year or after Sony & MS's 9th-gen consoles?

The Switch will be spending the best years of its life being nominal competition to the PS4 & XBO. Therefore, it should be considered part of the same generation as them.

The only gen Sony has had that was 7 years was last gen.  Personally, I'm surprised MS decided to not launch a console until Sony did, seeing as they were a year earlier.  They seemed so unprepared for this gen.  Anyway, I fully expect Sony to release the PS5 in 2019, making this gen 6 years.  They're probably going to want to take advantage of AMD's new Ryzen CPU and a Vega GPU, which will be much cheaper in 2 years time.  That's also just as long as it took for the Wii U to launch after the Wii and the Switch to launch after the 3DS (people seem to forget that the Switch is its successor, too.)  If Nintendo continues to make HW, I don't see how launching just 2 years ahead of Sony and/or MS does not count them as being in the same gen.  I think people are just trying to complicate something that's not very complicated.

Sony decides when a console generation begins. A console generation starts when the next Play Station launches.