By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - 9th Gen starts on March 3

???

YES, Switch is a 9th Gen Console 220 40.59%

NO, Switch is a small upg... 322 59.41%

Total:542
Dark_Lord_2008 said:
Sony decides when a console generation begins. A console generation starts when the next Play Station launches.

And whatever console Nintendo or Microsoft have that plays the same MP is labeled pertaining to that gen.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
HollyGamer said:
Volterra_90 said:

It's a WiiU sucessor, thatmakes the Switch 9th gen by definition. And Apple and Samsung don't make consoles as far as I know, so I don't think it has anything to do with the subject. I don't believe in this modern "number wars". The Switch will provide new ways for entertainment, new games, a brand new concept... So, why are we so obsessed about power and specs that we forget about what matters, and start defining gens just by power? Can't we play awesome games on the Switch because of that? No. Tech can't be the only thing that matters. I refuse to believe that's what gaming is all about. A power race. That should never be the new metric.

and then it's wii U an 8th gen consoles ??????

Apple and samsung are making games 

And Switch will not provide anything new , (a lot of games are from Wii U and will come later on another port from Wii U) hell, even their arms games are from 6th games era LOL

And yes Switch is awesome, i just responded to the discusion , even Switch is awesome that alone cannot define as 9th gen. 

Yep, WiiU is an 8th gen console, Wii a 7th gen console and so on. Simple maths XD. 

Apple and Samsung haven't made consoles, which was my point. We're talking about consoles' gens, so it's still pointless.

And Switch will provide new, exclusive games, and new ways to play. Obviously. That's not up to discussion, not everything will be ports of old games. About that Arms comparison, I don't agree. I don't really know about any games which look like it. Obviously, it has its roots on games like Punch-Out! and the fighting genre. But which game doesn't have its roots in oldee games? That doesn't make them "6th gen" games, obviously.

I don't know if Switch will be awesome though. I really hope it would be though. That's always good as a gamer. I want gaming to be widespread and sucessful.

DonFerrari said:
Ljink96 said:
Anybody who truthfully thinks Switch isn't 9th gen has to turn to the past of what defines a generation. It's not graphics, or games, or power. It's the fact that it's schematically a brand new console different than its predecessor or totally new in existence. Case and point, Sega Genesis, Super Nintendo, Turbografx. Genesis and SNES were much more powerful and more capable than the Turbografx, but it's still considered a 4th generation console. If Scorpio is just an upgrade that plays Xbox One games...do we call that "Not 9th gen" as well?

However as others have pointed out, Generations are about to become so blurred, it doesn't even matter anymore. I'm predicting that Generations won't be around like we knew them and I'd been saying this for some time. It's just how technology is going and agendas change, we won't have "Generations" in the future.

Nope, Scorpio isn't 9th gen.

HollyGamer said:

Then  Nintendo fans will not complain about Nintendoom thread again. Because Vgchartz Nintendo are build for Nintendo die hard fans :) all news will be positive even if Nintendo are in great disaster, all news will be around how wonderfull is Nintendo. :)

And all will be good on earth.

Volterra_90 said:

It's a WiiU sucessor, that makes the Switch 9th gen by definition. And Apple and Samsung don't make consoles as far as I know, so I don't think it has anything to do with the subject. I don't believe in this modern "number wars". The Switch will provide new ways for entertainment, new games, a brand new concept... So, why are we so obsessed about power and specs that we forget about what matters, and start defining gens just by power? Can't we play awesome games on the Switch because of that? No. Tech can't be the only thing that matters. I refuse to believe that's what gaming is all about. A power race. That should never be the new metric.

Nope it doesn't. The only "next gen games" it would play with that definition would be Nintendo, because all others would be on 8th gen and Switch not even being truly able to play them. So unless you think a generation is made by a sole console in tandem with the market then you are about crazy.

And if the tech isn't what define a new gen, why release a next gen console with basically the same HW power?

Yep, the only next gen games it would play are Switch exclusives, so? When the PS4/One sucessors come, regardless of their power, new 9th gen games will be released with those consoles, there's nothing mysterious about it XD. And 9th gen will be PS5/X2/Switch. I agree that Nintendo "jumped" the release date a few years though, and that's kinda new. But that's nothing so groundbreaking to not call the Switch a 9th gen console.

And I don't understand the last question. I mean, I can ask you why not release a next gen console with a similar power? And we can be going forever in circles XD.

Volterra_90 said:
DonFerrari said:

Nope, Scorpio isn't 9th gen.

And all will be good on earth.

Nope it doesn't. The only "next gen games" it would play with that definition would be Nintendo, because all others would be on 8th gen and Switch not even being truly able to play them. So unless you think a generation is made by a sole console in tandem with the market then you are about crazy.

And if the tech isn't what define a new gen, why release a next gen console with basically the same HW power?

Yep, the only next gen games it would play are Switch exclusives, so? When the PS4/One sucessors come, regardless of their power, new 9th gen games will be released with those consoles, there's nothing mysterious about it XD. And 9th gen will be PS5/X2/Switch. I agree that Nintendo "jumped" the release date a few years though, and that's kinda new. But that's nothing so groundbreaking to not call the Switch a 9th gen console.

And I don't understand the last question. I mean, I can ask you why not release a next gen console with a similar power? And we can be going forever in circles XD.

The point is the HW in Switch already isn't capable of playing the 3rd party games of gen 8th so calling it a gen 9th is crazy because it won't be playing any of the games PS5 and X2 get. So you can't say Switch is 9th gen but can only play Nintendo games.

If you won't advance the technology and the power of the system them in the next gen HW you'll be doing the same thing you were doing in the current gen, if so, what would be the point of releasing a new gen? in consoles new gens have been unleashed because the technical ceiling was hit for the games able to be developed for that gen hw and SW sales have started decreasing. If improving the HW wasn't a necessity we could still be on NES.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:
Volterra_90 said:

The point is the HW in Switch already isn't capable of playing the 3rd party games of gen 8th so calling it a gen 9th is crazy because it won't be playing any of the games PS5 and X2 get. So you can't say Switch is 9th gen but can only play Nintendo games.

If you won't advance the technology and the power of the system them in the next gen HW you'll be doing the same thing you were doing in the current gen, if so, what would be the point of releasing a new gen? in consoles new gens have been unleashed because the technical ceiling was hit for the games able to be developed for that gen hw and SW sales have started decreasing. If improving the HW wasn't a necessity we could still be on NES.

Okay, I get your point now. But I disagree. Yep, you can say Switch is a 9th gen console and only plays exclusive games. I think there's no point in keep that particular viewpoint, since we have opposites POV regarding that and I don't think that will change XD.

About the second paragraph, I also disagree. Innovation and lacking power are not mutually exclusive. New ways of playing could be done on the Switch. I don't think that the leap of power between 7th/8th gen came with totally new ideas. Or, at least, ideas that couldn't be perfectly done the previous gen, from a gameplay perspective at least. Which is what matters to me. I'd gladly admit I'm mistaken if people can give me examples about it. I think Nintendo has probably the same impression. There's nothing they can't do with the Switch. It also provides portability, which is something I prefer over more power.

Around the Network

1st hybrid gen eh.

Volterra_90 said:
HollyGamer said:

and then it's wii U an 8th gen consoles ??????

Apple and samsung are making games 

And Switch will not provide anything new , (a lot of games are from Wii U and will come later on another port from Wii U) hell, even their arms games are from 6th games era LOL

And yes Switch is awesome, i just responded to the discusion , even Switch is awesome that alone cannot define as 9th gen. 

Yep, WiiU is an 8th gen console, Wii a 7th gen console and so on. Simple maths XD. 

Apple and Samsung haven't made consoles, which was my point. We're talking about consoles' gens, so it's still pointless.

And Switch will provide new, exclusive games, and new ways to play. Obviously. That's not up to discussion, not everything will be ports of old games. About that Arms comparison, I don't agree. I don't really know about any games which look like it. Obviously, it has its roots on games like Punch-Out! and the fighting genre. But which game doesn't have its roots in oldee games? That doesn't make them "6th gen" games, obviously.

I don't know if Switch will be awesome though. I really hope it would be though. That's always good as a gamer. I want gaming to be widespread and sucessful.

No you did not answer my question, if Switch will provide new experience or not . It's nothing new it's just Wii U on a handled dimension that's all. Dont wory i am also want Swicth to be succesful , but defining a generation is not simple either. And yes if you comment said generation is not defining by spec then Apple and android are part of the generation as well, XD XD XD 

The fact that we're even debating this is a sign that a console generation has become less and less meaningful and useful as a concept.

DonFerrari said:

No problem on you butting in. But Nintendo being "creative" and not adhering to technological advancement and if they decide to release a console every 2 years won't make gen count move with them.

What they are releasing is totally possible of being done on gen 8 so they making this system haven't unleashed a new gen.

Nintendo has a vision for the Switch/9th gen and are prioritizing the means of playing games on the Switch. Their decision for only slightly more power in the Switch than the WiiU is an executive decision that in no way holds them back in the cycle of consoles. You are telling me that Nintendo being creative and not adhering to technological advancement doesn't move them into the next gen but you aren't telling me why other than Nintendo isn't as technologically advanced. You are using a circular arguement for your case.

What the Wii did was also possible on even the PS2 and some of the Wii games looked worse than some PS2 games, yet Wii is still considered part of the 7th generation of home consoles; Not because of the power but because it was simply Nintendo's next console. The technological leap from GC to Wii didn't keep the Wii back a generation, why the sudden change? 

If Switch isn't 9th gen then Wii wasn't 7th gen and WiiU wasn't 8th gen since their software could be ran on previous generations hardware.

Edit - Oh and "2 years"? Come on...

Dunno, but does it really matter? If a console outsells another consoles LTD whether it be now or in 10 years id consider the one with the highest number more successful.