By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - 9th Gen starts on March 3

???

YES, Switch is a 9th Gen Console 220 40.59%

NO, Switch is a small upg... 322 59.41%

Total:542
Volterra_90 said:
DonFerrari said:

The point is the HW in Switch already isn't capable of playing the 3rd party games of gen 8th so calling it a gen 9th is crazy because it won't be playing any of the games PS5 and X2 get. So you can't say Switch is 9th gen but can only play Nintendo games.

If you won't advance the technology and the power of the system them in the next gen HW you'll be doing the same thing you were doing in the current gen, if so, what would be the point of releasing a new gen? in consoles new gens have been unleashed because the technical ceiling was hit for the games able to be developed for that gen hw and SW sales have started decreasing. If improving the HW wasn't a necessity we could still be on NES.

Okay, I get your point now. But I disagree. Yep, you can say Switch is a 9th gen console and only plays exclusive games. I think there's no point in keep that particular viewpoint, since we have opposites POV regarding that and I don't think that will change XD.

About the second paragraph, I also disagree. Innovation and lacking power are not mutually exclusive. New ways of playing could be done on the Switch. I don't think that the leap of power between 7th/8th gen came with totally new ideas. Or, at least, ideas that couldn't be perfectly done the previous gen, from a gameplay perspective at least. Which is what matters to me. I'd gladly admit I'm mistaken if people can give me examples about it. I think Nintendo has probably the same impression. There's nothing they can't do with the Switch. It also provides portability, which is something I prefer over more power.

But what point is in saying that Switch will be a 9th gen system that is playing alone and will play alone for his whole gen, because it's possible that Switch sucessor releases close to PS5 and that would be 10th gen for Nintendo and 9th gen for the rest starting at the same time or would the rest skip the gen or we will just call Pro and Scorpio 9th gen even without a single exclusive just to justify switch as 9th gen?

Yes new way of playing could be possible on Switch, but so far there isn't a single thing on Switch that wasn't present already. So if Nintendo makes new ways of play it doesn't necessarily mean that it could only be made on Switch. If we gone one this way we could say PS4 is the same gen as PS1 because there isn't that much new way of playing. Or that for Nintendo the generation change was NES to Wii.

And portability is just being throw to win the argument because if not we can only look at portables already existing before.

But if you want something that could "only be done" in 8th gen... No Man's Sky wouldn't be possible on 7th gen, UC4 open world elements wouldn't be possible, Destiny and BF would need to be cut back on the number of enemies on the game.

A_C_E said:
DonFerrari said:

No problem on you butting in. But Nintendo being "creative" and not adhering to technological advancement and if they decide to release a console every 2 years won't make gen count move with them.

What they are releasing is totally possible of being done on gen 8 so they making this system haven't unleashed a new gen.

Nintendo has a vision for the Switch/9th gen and are prioritizing the means of playing games on the Switch. Their decision for only slightly more power in the Switch than the WiiU is an executive decision that in no way holds them back in the cycle of consoles. You are telling me that Nintendo being creative and not adhering to technological advancement doesn't move them into the next gen but you aren't telling me why other than Nintendo isn't as technologically advanced. You are using a circular arguement for your case.

What the Wii did was also possible on even the PS2 and some of the Wii games looked worse than some PS2 games, yet Wii is still considered part of the 7th generation of home consoles; Not because of the power but because it was simply Nintendo's next console. The technological leap from GC to Wii didn't keep the Wii back a generation, why the sudden change? 

If Switch isn't 9th gen then Wii wasn't 7th gen and WiiU wasn't 8th gen since their software could be ran on previous generations hardware.

Edit - Oh and "2 years"? Come on...

What creativity is in not improving the processing power and caling a handheld a console? You don't even aknowledge that what you say Switch brings wasn't already present in most form on PSP or Vita.

And how haven't Microsoft nd Sony didn't bring technological advancement? Well and if you need a new one exclusive tech for this gen would be VR, and if you consider X1 doesn't have it then Scorpio would be 9th gen as well.

Wii is considered 7th gen because it was out at the same time period of X360 and PS3 and at least at first got a try on Multiplat. But some people also call Wii a 6,5 gen and WiiU 7th gen so Switch would be 7,5 to 8th gen so far. And Wii motion system was a technological leap even if not on the graphical side. And even there, a lot of games on PS3 and 360 were subHD even like 530p comparing to Wii 480p games... Now when PS5 comes out it will be 4k versus 720 on Switch on portable and 1080p on deck at most.

Scorpio and PS4Pro is a step in the direction to 2 or 3 years cycle if we use these odds definition people try here to decide 9th gen started because Nintendo saw WiiU was a failure. But if we stop believing that 3DS won't be continued by another HH and that Switch will be the sucessor then Switch is more the 5th or 6th gen HH and not 9th gen console.

Alkibiádēs said:
DonFerrari said:

The point is the HW in Switch already isn't capable of playing the 3rd party games of gen 8th so calling it a gen 9th is crazy because it won't be playing any of the games PS5 and X2 get. So you can't say Switch is 9th gen but can only play Nintendo games.

If you won't advance the technology and the power of the system them in the next gen HW you'll be doing the same thing you were doing in the current gen, if so, what would be the point of releasing a new gen? in consoles new gens have been unleashed because the technical ceiling was hit for the games able to be developed for that gen hw and SW sales have started decreasing. If improving the HW wasn't a necessity we could still be on NES.

Then why have Lego Worlds, Steep, Project Sonic 2017, Yooka-Laylee and Dragon Quest XI all been confirmed for the Nintendo Switch? None of those games are on the PS3/XBOX360/Wii. Your argument makes little sense. The Wii didn't get a lot of third party games the PS3 & XBOX360 got either, but you still consider that part of the seventh generation.

The Nintendo Switch is an advancement in technology over its predecessor, not to mention that there are multiple ways a console can evolve outside of just more powerful hardware. Sony is actually doing the same thing they were doing last-gen when it comes to software, but with more powerful hardware. God of War 4 and Dreams seem to be doing radically different things compared to their predecessors, but that's about it. Breath of the Wild and Super Mario Odyssey will be completely different compared to their previous games, nobody can deny that. Games like Arms and 1-2 Switch weren't possible on the Wii U either. There's more difference between the Wii U/3DS and the Nintendo Switch than between the PS3 and PS4, so I don't really understand your complaint or logic at all. 

You are talking about a very small set of simple games that could be done even in PS3/X360 on almost the same capability as Switch as evidence that Switch is capable of running 8th gen SW... ok... and when PS5 releases will it be capable of running those games? Because if the general leaps are kept them PS5 could be 12 to 15 Tf and that would be almost 20x power difference.

Nope, you don't even play Sony games to even verify if they are outputing the same SW, I will tell you, they aren't. Uncharted 4 is quite different from it's predecessor.

Considering there is Nvidia Shield (which Nintendo basically picked almost as is) and the chinese console that have the detachable controls on a handheld. So what new is Nintendo bringing to the table that wasn't possible before? See, there isn't a single spot where we can say that Switch really upgraded from current gen.

Shadow1980 said:
thismeintiel said:

The only gen Sony has had that was 7 years was last gen.  Personally, I'm surprised MS decided to not launch a console until Sony did, seeing as they were a year earlier.  They seemed so unprepared for this gen.  Anyway, I fully expect Sony to release the PS5 in 2019, making this gen 6 years.  They're probably going to want to take advantage of AMD's new Ryzen CPU and a Vega GPU, which will be much cheaper in 2 years time.  That's also just as long as it took for the Wii U to launch after the Wii and the Switch to launch after the 3DS (people seem to forget that the Switch is its successor, too.)  If Nintendo continues to make HW, I don't see how launching just 2 years ahead of Sony and/or MS does not count them as being in the same gen.  I think people are just trying to complicate something that's not very complicated.

The duration of a generation is determined almost entirely by sales. Systems typically peaked by their second or third full year (the Genesis being the only notable exception; it peaked in its fourth full year in the U.S., but it faced unusual circumstances), and they all had fairly pronounced peaks. After a couple of years of steadily declining sales the manufacturer starts gearing up for a replacement. Generally, sales trajectories followed a path that resulted in the old 5-year average that Nintendo still conforms to. The PS3 & 360 meanwhile didn't peak until 2011, a point in their lives where had their sales trajectory conformed to historic norms they would be getting replaced, and their peaks weren't very pronounced, but once Q2 2012 rolled around sales started to drop quickly, signalling the need for a replacement. The PS4 & XBO are selling at a faster pace than the 360 & PS3, but not quite as fast as combined aligned PS2+Xbox sales. They may possibly have not passed their peak yet, and sales may possibly rebound this year. Sales will almost certainly begin to irreversibly decline in 2018, though, but probably not fast enough to warrant a replacement in 2019. The PS5 & XB4 will automatically begin cannibalizing PS4 & XBO sales, and they may not want to do that if the latter two are still selling fairly well in 2019. I think 2020 will be the earliest and 2021 the latest, though right now I'm leaning toward 2020.

In any case, just as the Switch will spend its prime years "competing" with the PS4 & XBO, so too will the Switch's successor, which will likely be out by Holiday 2022 at the latest, will spend its prime years competing with the PS5 & XB4. And if Nintendo remains in the hardware biz, the Switch's "grandchild" could potentially arrive in 2026, before the likely arrival of the PS6. It'd be funny if people start seriously arguing that we got our first 11th-gen system before the 10th-gen PS6 debuts.

I've always felt that the best overall definition of a console generation is "a group of systems that are released relatively close to each other and serve as nominal competition to each other." Both the Wii U and Switch will have spent their prime years going up against the PS4 & XBO. By time the PS5 arrives the Switch will almost certainly be past its peak; Nintendo's home consoles have always peaked by their second full calendar year, which would put the Switch's peak in 2019 at the latest. The Switch being in the early parts of the terminal decline phase of its life while the PS5 is in its infancy is hardly what I'd call "competing" with each other and tends to work against claims that the Switch belongs to the same generation as the PS5.

Yep, it is just as you said. To me Switch will align with Pro and Scorpio and be a mid gen iteraction, unless someone preffers to either put WiiU as the mid gen upgrade and Switch the late comer or that Switch is more like 3DS sucessor and WiiU being discontinued. But in no way it'll make sense that a 9th gen console isn't capable of running 8th gen level SW.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network

Of course its 9th gen. Xbox One S was the mid gen upgrade for Microsoft, Scorpio is a brand new console, and didn't the original Xbox have a life span of four years? Microsoft got their ass kicked and rushed the 360, same thing nowadays.

Just like That, Sony will join later on.

9th gen begins in March 3rd, after almost five years of Wii U (SNES, N64, and Gamecube all had 5 years as well).

It's Nintendo's 9th gen console but it's not 9th gen in Industry.
Plus does it even matter what gen it is as long as it's successful i'm good.

BraLoD said:
Nope.
Won't even run the AAA 8th gen games while being in competition with 8th gen devices.

There really no reason to even discuss it.

Unless Nintendo accepts it's a handheld, than yes, it's a new gen for handhelds.
Still not a 9th gen console, tho.

A little bit of this.

Peh said:
It's Nintendo's next gen console.

Certainly this.

But, what I think is that we can think about it in three ways.

1 - No generations anymore. Switch, PS4 Pro and Scorpio are just the next interation of the same family of products (since PRO and Scorpio share the same games as its predecessors and Switch share the same power and some games via ports).

OR

2 - The generation of a console is defined by its competitors. Even if Nintendo doesn't want to compete directly with PS4 and XONE, Switch and Wii U both exists during the same time as PS4 and XONE, so they are all 8th generation.

OR

3 - Switch is a handheld from 9th generation.

Particularly, I think a generation needs at least two consoles to be defined. If Microsoft decide to consider Scorpio their next console (just with great retrocompatibility), then Scorpio and Switch are from 9th generation, even if Sony only launches PS5 in 2020.

I don't think generations apply anymore, I think Microsoft is going to ditch them and PS5 will likely be the last for Sony.

But regardless what even puts the Switch into a group with the ps5/xbo2, it's not like they're going to share many games or even be remotely similair hardware wise, they're not even going to release within a couple of years either.

There's no need to throw the Switch into an industry-wide generation for the sake of it. It doesn't fit anywhere and Generations are likely to soon be a thing of the past anyway.

Around the Network

It's the next gen for Nintendo, apart from that industry wide gen numbers are meaningless now

If you google 8th gen consoles there's always a Wii U next to PS4 and Xbone. Even if people weren't entirely convinced at first it became widely accepted eventually..

HollyGamer said:

Apple and samsung are making games 

First I wanted to disagree, but you are right:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/company/73142-apple?platform=0&year=0®ion=0&devpub=1

http://www.gamefaqs.com/company/75869-samsung?platform=0&year=0®ion=0&devpub=1

Although not very many or very famous games.

would that be the first next gen where we go backwards in terms of speck?

How about its in a plane of existence between the 8th and 9th gen. It will surely compete two years of ps5 and nextbox consoles right. So its an in-between not like Scorpio and the pro since they are 8.5th gen but more like both 8th and 9th gen

Just a guy who doesn't want to be bored. Also