By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Reality check: what will happen with Switch

badgenome said:
Alternatively, it will sell exactly like the 3DS.

More probably, it will not sell exactly like either of them.

It will be very likely something in between.

Around the Network

"Reality check: what will happen with Switch"

- It will be bought. :|

Because of it's mobility feature, it will highly likely do as well or as bad as the 3DS.
It's theeeeeeeeeee most powerful handheld to date, so maybe, some Vita games could be ported to the switch aswell?

Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | RTX 3090 FE| Crappy Monitor| HTC Vive Pro :3

We will find out by 2018 if it is successful or not. By then i expect it to have a price drop.

The Switch will succeed so long as it has compelling software. Not just a large quantity of games (although important), but games that are unique to/on Switch. A game or experience which will immediately show the Switch has a unique selling point.

The problem with WiiU was that nothing came out that really made it look like the tablet was actually a good feature. The experience was often just a watered down version of games that could be played at much higher fidelity on the competition.

As long as they can find something that sticks out, Switch will do fine in the short-term to medium-term. At least until Pokemon comes out, then it'll sell like hot cakes.

I think because of Japan it will do better than wii u but I don't think the bulk of Switch sales will come from the current sku. I think this sku is the Nintendo DS to the next sku being the Nintendo DS lite which will generally improve the model, rid it of some of its major issues and generally be more appealing at a lower price.

Around the Network

Nintendooooom! Shame that only Nintendo fans, that seem to be disappearing fast, can buy Switch :P
Maybe we have another gamecube to wii situation, at least then Nintendo fans were able to multiply fast, that could happen again.

That was a very grounded and developed argument. Congrats! XD

m0ney said:

Nintendo fans will buy it and that's it. How many of them are there worldwide? 15 mil? 20? In other words it will sell exactly like Wii U

Apparently its a handheld...... sooooo....... 

Pocky Lover Boy! 

There's no way this thing is selling like the Wii U, it'll beat it in a year or two very likely. You can't forget that this is the new home for Pokemon, Mario, Zelda, Monster Hunter and with both of Nintendo's divisions merged they'll be pumping out 1st party titles at a steady pace. The Switch will have Splatoon 2, Mario Odyssey, Zelda Breath of the Wild, Xenoblade Chronicles 2, Mario Kart 8 Delux, Arms, Fire Emblem Warriors in the span of 7 months. If Skyrim or other third party titles sell well they'll port their games to the Switch too, and you have the indies as icing on the cake. 2018 lineup is going to be amazing, they already hinted at Metroid, Mother 3, Pikmin 4 (if it isn't the 3DS spinoff and God forbid it is) and we have Fire Emblem on the way too.

This is a win/win situation really, no chance in hell it's selling anything like the Wii U. Pre-order counts from retailers so far are nothing but positive and it's selling out everywhere fast. I can see it doing around the same as 3DS without problems, unless they really really mess this up.

SmileyAja said:
There's no way this thing is selling like the Wii U, it'll beat it in a year or two very likely. You can't forget that this is the new home for Pokemon, Mario, Zelda, Monster Hunter and with both of Nintendo's divisions merged they'll be pumping out 1st party titles at a steady pace. The Switch will have Splatoon 2, Mario Odyssey, Zelda Breath of the Wild, Xenoblade Chronicles 2, Mario Kart 8 Delux, Arms, Fire Emblem Warriors in the span of 7 months. If Skyrim or other third party titles sell well they'll port their games to the Switch too, and you have the indies as icing on the cake. 2018 lineup is going to be amazing, they already hinted at Metroid, Mother 3, Pikmin 4 (if it isn't the 3DS spinoff and God forbid it is) and we have Fire Emblem on the way too.

This is a win/win situation really, no chance in hell it's selling anything like the Wii U. Pre-order counts from retailers so far are nothing but positive and it's selling out everywhere fast. I can see it doing around the same as 3DS without problems, unless they really really mess this up.

Yep, basically. The Switch will have a huge ammount of killer apps, no way this sells like the WiiU. I think it has possibilities of surpassing the 3DS, actually. Wii levels is hard, but also achievable if they make things right.