By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The Nintendo Switch and a New IP Renaissance

monocle_layton said:

Not to be rude or anything, but no one cares for Metroid. 

Not to be rude or anything, but ... WHAT?!?

I know a lot of people that say they love Super Metroid, Metroid Fusion or Metroid Prime.

Around the Network
Darwinianevolution said:

Metroid is one of the classic three Nintendo franchises, alongside Mario and Zelda. Just go to the Metroid Prime Federation Force trailer on Youtube and read the comments (if they are still avalible), and you'll see how many people care about Zelda.

TBH I think what he means is it's not as big as the fanbase would try to make it seem, a classic franchise yes but nowhere near the power houses the other two are.

Wyrdness said:
Darwinianevolution said:

Metroid is one of the classic three Nintendo franchises, alongside Mario and Zelda. Just go to the Metroid Prime Federation Force trailer on Youtube and read the comments (if they are still avalible), and you'll see how many people care about Zelda.

TBH I think what he means is it's not as big as the fanbase would try to make it seem, a classic franchise yes but nowhere near the power houses the other two are.

That's fair enough, but it's still one of the more popular Nintendo franchise out there. If it hasn't sold as well as other lately is because Other M and a clear lack of games released. 2D Metroids are gone since the GBA days. 3D ones since the Wii. It could sell well enough to become a system seller, even if it doesn't sell as much as Mario or Splatoon.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Luke888 said:

If all these projects start like Splatoon did, We wouldn't necessarily need to wait that much for entries in the already established IPs, say for example the Zelda team: I'm 100% shure that they've started working on the Thief game but honestly we're talking about a team that is so big that they can have a medium-small group of devs working on the Thief game while everyone else works on the next Zelda, given the team now has experience with HD development and an engine to use I would expect the next Zelda game to come out in 2/3 years similarly to how Majora's Mask came out one year after Ocarina of Time, instead, since not the whole team is working on the new Zelda, they might need the regular 5 years they always need to make the game...

IsawYoshi said:
I think you brought up some interesting points, but I still think nintendo is doing less than they should on this area. They got to keep the wii u for their own for the most part, and the third party lineup for switch isn't really looking any better thus far. I don't get why nintendo isn't interested in expanding their studios to be able to make more games. Where is 1080 and waverace for example? Splatoon, xenoblade and arms are greatly appreciated, but why not tap into a western rpg, maybe a more realistic type shooter. No one else is giving us them on nintendo consoles, I really doubt nintendo wouldn't be able to make these break even as well. More variety is sorely needed.

I also don't think they're pushing the xenoblade franchise nearly as much as they should. Monolith soft are gods, truly.

afaik Nintendo's staff is constantly growing, it's simply not that easy to find developers that meet Nintendo's standards and to instruct them properly on what to work on...

What is this thief game you're talking about? 

Yeah they're constantly hiring new people to the teams, and probably expanding gradualy in that sense. I was talking more of entirely new studios, preferably some in europe and america this time. Seing as they unlike sony and microsoft have to carry the console almost entirely on their shoulders I think they would benefit from having a broader range of games and genres avalible, and it looks like they need to do that themselves. 

IsawYoshi said:
Luke888 said:

If all these projects start like Splatoon did, We wouldn't necessarily need to wait that much for entries in the already established IPs, say for example the Zelda team: I'm 100% shure that they've started working on the Thief game but honestly we're talking about a team that is so big that they can have a medium-small group of devs working on the Thief game while everyone else works on the next Zelda, given the team now has experience with HD development and an engine to use I would expect the next Zelda game to come out in 2/3 years similarly to how Majora's Mask came out one year after Ocarina of Time, instead, since not the whole team is working on the new Zelda, they might need the regular 5 years they always need to make the game...

afaik Nintendo's staff is constantly growing, it's simply not that easy to find developers that meet Nintendo's standards and to instruct them properly on what to work on...

Yeah they're constantly hiring new people to the teams, and probably expanding gradualy in that sense. I was talking more of entirely new studios, preferably some in europe and america this time. Seing as they unlike sony and microsoft have to carry the console almost entirely on their shoulders I think they would benefit from having a broader range of games and genres avalible, and it looks like they need to do that themselves. 

as spemanig brought up in the OP Nintendo asked Aonuma to work on a new IP and he said that if he had the opportunity to work on a new IP that wasn't Zelda he would have loved to make a game about a thief (likely as a contrast to Zelda which revolves around a hero). 

As for making new studios you have to keep in mind that it takes a lot of money, especially in the west (reports say that Retro is the most expensive studio for Nintendo) and Nintendo likely is playing it safe since they're coming from the Wii U, they can't simply buy CD Projekt Red, Naughty Dog and open 5 new other teams of similar quality so that each one of them can work on an established IP/new game

Around the Network
Luke888 said:
IsawYoshi said:

as spemanig brought up in the OP Nintendo asked Aonuma to work on a new IP and he said that if he had the opportunity to work on a new IP that wasn't Zelda he would have loved to make a game about a thief (likely as a contrast to Zelda which revolves around a hero). 

As for making new studios you have to keep in mind that it takes a lot of money, especially in the west (reports say that Retro is the most expensive studio for Nintendo) and Nintendo likely is playing it safe since they're coming from the Wii U, they can't simply buy CD Projekt Red, Naughty Dog and open 5 new other teams of similar quality so that each one of them can work on an established IP/new game

Buying is expensive yes, which is why I would suggest that they start up the studios from scratch. Very much the same way that retro was made. Although it may be more expensive I still think that an increased install base would be worth it. Not to mention that the games could make the studios worth it themselves.

IsawYoshi said:
Luke888 said:

Buying is expensive yes, which is why I would suggest that they start up the studios from scratch. Very much the same way that retro was made. Although it may be more expensive I still think that an increased install base would be worth it. Not to mention that the games could make the studios worth it themselves.

They should have bought studios during the Wii-DS era, when they had money and a massive userbase. How easy could have been to put those new devs to work on A-AA games for the Wii-DS while getting experience, so when the WiiU-3DS came out, they had enough manpower to try and close the software droughts?

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

IsawYoshi said:
Luke888 said:

A unified library and the absence of redundancy between handheld and console titles should help some but Nintendo really needs more studios to handle a lot of their properties.  One of the biggest hurdles to Nintendo making new IPs is that there are dedicated fanbases to the (roughly) 40-50 different IPs they control and by the time they come up with new entries for all of them it's time to start the process all over again.

Darwinianevolution said:
IsawYoshi said:

They should have bought studios during the Wii-DS era, when they had money and a massive userbase. How easy could have been to put those new devs to work on A-AA games for the Wii-DS while getting experience, so when the WiiU-3DS came out, they had enough manpower to try and close the software droughts?

Very true. I think it was harder to see the need at the time though, with them having lots of 3rd party support at the time. Just sad to see that they don't seem to be doing anything about this. They botched the messaging on the wii u, but what killed it was the lack of games. 

Should be AT LEAST one bigger scale nintendo every month imo. 

Darwinianevolution said:
IsawYoshi said:

Didn't they buy Monolith in that period ?