By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The Nintendo Switch and a New IP Renaissance

sethnintendo said:
Am I the only one that thought Arms looked like shit? Granted I only watched half of the trailer before I had to turn it off. The little girl and older guy punching back and forth was just too much for me.

I suggest you to finish watching the ARMS trailer or, even better, look at the Treehouse ARMS footage where they went in-depth talking fists customization and character special abilities, also it can be played without motion controls so it can become a franchise

TheLegendaryWolf said:
Cobretti2 said:
Nintendo sure has done well with trying to get new IP out, but personally I feel it is lacking something.

Call me crazy or whatever but I really wish they fund a new adult only game and even make their own range of sports games (that don't have mario skin on them) or somehow get 2K onboard 100%.

Withut these i just feel that every gen for Nintendo will get smaller and smaller, as their other IPs are so catered to a Nintendo only game. Some of us Nintendo gamers like other games too. At my age I honestly CBF owning multiple consoles anymore as don't have much spare time. I just want to be able to play on one system as much as I can. Multi consoles were cool when you had time but its a hassle having 2-3 setup making sure all controllers are charged, making sure there is HDMI for each etc.

They funded Bayonetta 2 which is a very "adult only game" though it isn't exactly a new nor an original IP.

Until they eventually buy the Bayonetta IP from SEGA, you know it'll happen...

Around the Network

Thank you for taking the time to write this. It'll be interesting to see what they announce at E3 and through any remaining Nintendo Directs this year.

If Sakurai is working on a new IP right now, I hope that he makes a Kid Icarus for the Switch at some point. Kid Icarus: Uprising was one of my favorite 3DS games.

mZuzek said:
sethnintendo said:
Am I the only one that thought Arms looked like shit? Granted I only watched half of the trailer before I had to turn it off. The little girl and older guy punching back and forth was just too much for me.

So Arms is shit because you didn't like the part of the trailer where it wasn't even showing gameplay.

I watched enough to see the first gameplay shots which was just characters jumping up and down and punches being thrown.  Granted I probably saw just the first few gameplay screens with very basic gameplay being shown.  It just didn't hold any appeal to me.  It looked like a cartoony Wii boxing game to me.  I'd rather see something like Power Stone than whatever that was.  I'll take some people's advice here and watch more such as the Treehouse special on it but I was turned off pretty bad with first trailer I saw.  Personally I'd rather play a Power Stone fighting game than a Wii Boxing cartoon.  Glad to hear motion controls are optional. 

Kind of depressing that it doesn't seem like this is coming true. I mean, to some extent, it definitely will. Wouldn't even be surprised if we get a lot of new IPs with the Switch. But man ... it's been a year and a half and no real signs.

Drakrami said:
I am worried for Nintendo.... the revenue from switch alone isnt going to keep them running. They used to have revenue from 3ds + wiiu + software; or ds + wii + software.

Now they'll only have switch + software and if switch doesnt sell well, so doesnt software then. Switch needs to sell over 50million for nintendo not to make big changes to their company's strategy, imo.

Sure, they are diverting to mobile already. But I am sure this is something most gamers dont want, fans or non fans alike.

Actually hardware doesn't make them that much revenue. Software does. And software wise it is going way better than the WiiU era. Plus, they have mobile and soon their online subscriptions. They will become even more profitable than before.

Ontopic:

They have had a good strategy of releasing some new IP, but to me, the most important thing is supporting the IP once it is released. Splatoon worked out great. The others, not so much imo.

Around the Network
Drakrami said:
I am worried for Nintendo.... the revenue from switch alone isnt going to keep them running. They used to have revenue from 3ds + wiiu + software; or ds + wii + software.

Now they'll only have switch + software and if switch doesnt sell well, so doesnt software then. Switch needs to sell over 50million for nintendo not to make big changes to their company's strategy, imo.

Sure, they are diverting to mobile already. But I am sure this is something most gamers dont want, fans or non fans alike.

It will sell a lot more than 50 million, they'l be alright.

I just realized this is an old thread.