By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Who would leave first?

Which of the big three would leave console gaming first?

Nintendo 77 21.57%

Microsoft 252 70.59%

Sony 28 7.84%

Total:357

I think there should be a poll abuout what of the big tree we WANT to leave, and become only software developer :3

"We all make choices, but in the end, our choices make us" - Andrew Ryan, Bioshock.

Around the Network
think-man said:
CaptainExplosion said:

The problem with Microsoft leaving is where would all their IPs go?

PC,  they already basically all are lol. 

They definitely won't leave console market before building solid userbase on PCs. It also probably should be bigger than their current Xbox userbase for them to consider leaving console market because they can't charge for XBL Gold on PC the same way they do on consoles because PC has a lot of alternative services without paid online. MS makes a lot of money from XBL Gold and I think the publishers share profit from selling games on Xbox Store as well. Right now MS doesn't have any game on PC except their own, RE7, COD:IW and a few indies. So, they won't leave console market anytime soon. And if they will leave sometime I still think they will have some kinda AppleTV-like Xbox-branded device which will stream Win10 games from their Azure cloud-servers. The only way I see them leaving is leaving video gaming industry at all. Without shifting to PCs.

PS. I voted for Nintendo myself. Unfortunately if Switch flops they will be in a big trouble because it seems that the only people who are interested in their consoles are their fans which is not good. Also it seems that they can earn a way more money from cheap mobile games and they already heading this way, so why bother with hardware at all. If it happens it's gonna be really sad for me because Nin are my favourites from all three

CaptainExplosion said:
derpysquirtle64 said:

They definitely won't leave console market before building solid userbase on PCs. It also probably should be bigger than their current Xbox userbase for them to consider leaving console market because they can't charge for XBL Gold on PC the same way they do on consoles because PC has a lot of alternative services without paid online. MS makes a lot of money from XBL Gold and I think the publishers share profit from selling games on Xbox Store as well. Right now MS doesn't have any game on PC except their own, RE7, COD:IW and a few indies. So, they won't leave console market anytime soon. And if they will leave sometime I still think they will have some kinda AppleTV-like Xbox-branded device which will stream Win10 games from their Azure cloud-servers. The only way I see them leaving is leaving video gaming industry at all. Without shifting to PCs.

PS. I voted for Nintendo myself. Unfortunately if Switch flops they will be in a big trouble because it seems that the only people who are interested in their consoles are their fans which is not good. Also it seems that they can earn a way more money from cheap mobile games and they already heading this way, so why bother with hardware at all. If it happens it's gonna be really sad for me because Nin are my favourites from all three

They could, but so far they haven't earned much money from mobile games, having to split Pokemon Go profits.

Yes, but they haven't really started yet. Unfortunately, video games industry as a whole is in danger nowadays in my opinion. The majority of revenue comes from mobile and f2p PC games like MOBAs. And they are all cheap to develop as well. We already see that the amount of new AAA IPs is low compared to 10 years ago because it is too risky to spend money for something that might flop. So I have a fear that Nintendo can consider leaving console market if their mobile gaming will succeed

I vote MS.

There will always be a need for dedicated gaming handhelds, you just cant fit that many buttons on a smartphone. So Nintendo will always have a place.

Sony is entrenched in the home console space, and there will also always be a need for a dedicated gaming console. And you cant really beat the amount of first party studios Sony has and their brand power. Its kinda hard to imagine a world without PlayStation.

Microsoft? well, they are constantly trying to do everything and end up not doing anything in particular very well. But now they are beginning to focus their resources and putting them firmly behind windows. As it stands, they are already kinda pulling out of the console race. How many first party IPs do they still really have? They have don very little to expand their library and now even releasing their software on PC. Truth be told, in 2017, if you have a PC, you do not need to have an Xbox. They are the only one of the big three you can say that about.

Excellent thread CaptainExplosion.

Some people may think Nintendo is close to exiting the console market because they usually have two pillars supporting the company and now only have one with the Switch. They have put all their eggs in one basket with Switch and if it fails Nintendo will have nothing to support them.

But this is why Nintendo is working with Universal theme parks. This is why Nintendo is branching out into multimedia. And this is why Nintendo is making mobile games. Nintendo is expanding into more markets and will use those pillars to help support the company.

Nintendo is becoming more diversified.

Hey! They got SONY on my amiibo! Wait a minute. Two great gaming tastes that game great together!

Switch FC: SW-0398-8858-1969

Around the Network
CaptainExplosion said:
Knitemare said:
I think there should be a poll abuout what of the big tree we WANT to leave, and become only software developer :3

None of them do.

Not if they want, but instead, which one of them WE WANT them to leave.

"We all make choices, but in the end, our choices make us" - Andrew Ryan, Bioshock.

CaptainExplosion said:
spemanig said:

I mean that this isn't an original or timely topic. I've seen dozens of threads asking literally the exact same question since I started posting here. So I'm wondering why it's such a popular question to ask.

Relavence towards how unpredictable the gaming industry is now.

There's nothing more predictable in gaming right now than a "who would leave first" thread.

Xbox is dead after Scorpio

Knitemare said:
CaptainExplosion said:

None of them do.

Not if they want, but instead, which one of them WE WANT them to leave.

Thats easy! Sony. TLOU, God of War, Twisted Metal and Horizon would look awesome on Scorpio. And they would be on the faster most reliable network. No brainer!

Dr.Vita said:
Nintendo

What an in-depth and expansive post.