By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Who would leave first?

Which of the big three would leave console gaming first?

Nintendo 77 21.57%

Microsoft 252 70.59%

Sony 28 7.84%

Total:357

So long as all three are profitable, I don't see any of them "leaving". I could see MS transitioning to a pure XboxTV type of device that is almost identical to running an "xbox" game on the PC but its connected to your TV and all games are digital. MS has a big issue with lack of 1st party and is becoming more and more of a streamlined media PC on your TV type of box.

Sony, idk. Playstation is a good IP for them and they do have a stable 1st party, though not as deep as Nintendo. I see them always having a Playstation device and it continuing to be gaming focus but with significant other media functionality. They'll continue to leverage Nintendo's ideas as grow a "VC"-like experience focused on their back catalog.

Nintendo will continue to create gaming-centric devices and its 1st party can continue to grow and sustain itself. They could have several WiiUs before they need to move one from gaming. NS will be profitable and doesn't even need to be a 100MM selling console.

So who will "leave" first is not a valid question. None will leave gaming. They will continue to evolve but the three brands will continue to offer gaming machines.

Around the Network

I don't know, but it seems somebody is going to have to sooner or later...

When we reach the point where graphics can't really be improved in any major way... When gamers are no longer willing to shell out 400 bucks for a few tweaks here and there... it's going to be interesting to see what happens then.

When we reach the point where graphics can't really be improved in any major way... When gamers are no longer willing to shell out 400 bucks for a few tweaks here and there... it's going to be interesting to see what happens then.

Yikes, sorry about the triple post.

Around the Network

it might seem odd to say considering Nintendo's poor Wii U generation, but they are possibly in the safest position of all 3 to stay perpetually in the video game market. They could have Wii U losses for like 50 straight years and not go bankrupt (supposedly)

Microsoft has barely if EVER made any money on the Xbox brand. They always lose a lot of $$$ on the hardware end of things and the Xbox brand is almost certainly essentially a marketing investment from their eyes in terms of keeping the Microsoft brand and platforms (Windows) present in younger generations. Anyone thinking otherwise is not seeing the big picture or aware of their video game divisions mediocre returns (versus what they have spent). Microsoft spent a ridiculous amount in the first place trying to hedge their way in with the Xbox as well.

Sony I think is a big question mark because they are still quite divided, overall as a company, in terms of finances. Their TV, phone, movie divisions- none are doing particular well, and some have caused Sony to put on quite a bit debt (which I believe is still an issue).

I would say Sony potentially will be around for quite a while in the video game business BUT because they are extremely bloated in terms of overall company size and divisions, it does put them in an awkward spot of potentially being in danger (even video game wise) if some parts of their company do terribly.

I think the safe bet would be Nintendo and Sony outlasting Microsoft by quite a large amount. Nintendo has the strongest IPs obviously and then Sony has done a great job at making their hardware the most popular and generally trusted by the casual consumer. Both have great gaming brands because of those respective things

I can't emphasize enough how Microsoft is clearly using the Xbox brand as advertising and has put loads of money into it over the last few gens to keep the Microsoft name relevant for younger generations who may or may not otherwise care. When your software from Windows/Office is gigantic in sales next to your video game division I just don't know the viabliity of sticking with it permanently, especially when Microsoft does not generally profit that much from the Xbox

I could see a future where Sony has home console, Nintendo has portable, and Microsoft goes PC focus.

Of the three Microsoft needs video games the least given how profitable other divisions are for them.

Definitely MS.

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."

mountaindewslave said:

it might seem odd to say considering Nintendo's poor Wii U generation, but they are possibly in the safest position of all 3 to stay perpetually in the video game market. They could have Wii U losses for like 50 straight years and not go bankrupt (supposedly)

Microsoft has barely if EVER made any money on the Xbox brand. They always lose a lot of $$$ on the hardware end of things and the Xbox brand is almost certainly essentially a marketing investment from their eyes in terms of keeping the Microsoft brand and platforms (Windows) present in younger generations. Anyone thinking otherwise is not seeing the big picture or aware of their video game divisions mediocre returns (versus what they have spent). Microsoft spent a ridiculous amount in the first place trying to hedge their way in with the Xbox as well.

Sony I think is a big question mark because they are still quite divided, overall as a company, in terms of finances. Their TV, phone, movie divisions- none are doing particular well, and some have caused Sony to put on quite a bit debt (which I believe is still an issue).

I would say Sony potentially will be around for quite a while in the video game business BUT because they are extremely bloated in terms of overall company size and divisions, it does put them in an awkward spot of potentially being in danger (even video game wise) if some parts of their company do terribly.

I think the safe bet would be Nintendo and Sony outlasting Microsoft by quite a large amount. Nintendo has the strongest IPs obviously and then Sony has done a great job at making their hardware the most popular and generally trusted by the casual consumer. Both have great gaming brands because of those respective things

I can't emphasize enough how Microsoft is clearly using the Xbox brand as advertising and has put loads of money into it over the last few gens to keep the Microsoft name relevant for younger generations who may or may not otherwise care. When your software from Windows/Office is gigantic in sales next to your video game division I just don't know the viabliity of sticking with it permanently, especially when Microsoft does not generally profit that much from the Xbox

Your logic would be sound if Nintendo was a privately owned company. But it isn't. It's publicly traded, it has shareholders that have invested in Nintendo and demand a return on that investment. It's not good enough to survive. Nintendo must profit and make as much profit as possible. As a result, Nintendo will go where the money is, and if their board of directors decide that there is more money to be made as a third party, that is what they will do.

Period.

Probably Nintendo, if we are talking about gaming in general, since MS has PC.