By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Switch: any other salty WiiU owners out there?

How does the WiiU abandonment make you feel about buying the Switch?

I own a WiiU and will def... 253 38.22%

I own a WiiU and I will w... 147 22.21%

I own a WiiU and I won't buy a Switch. 97 14.65%

I don't own a WiiU and w... 26 3.93%

I don't own a WiiU and I... 56 8.46%

I don't own a WiiU and I... 83 12.54%

Total:662
curl-6 said:
bunchanumbers said:
I can't complain. I own dozens of Wii U games. But I still feel ripped off because it really wasn't a full console experience. My time with Wii U kinda reminds me of my time with Saturn. Lots of different interesting games, but it was weak compared to competition.

The Wii U is definitely Nintendo's Saturn. And if they're not careful, Switch could up being their Dreamcast.

Good analogies.

Around the Network
Shadow1980 said:
The Wii U has a solid library of games. It was definitely worth buying. I'm getting a Switch day one, because I know Nintendo will deliver with quality first-party titles, and there will probably be several third-party exclusives worth buying.

One things that upsets me is that the WiiU was a solid system; I hear a lot of complaints about build quality to justify why NS is so much better, but the WiiU was solid. The NS looks like a generic GPS with Tiger Electronics add-ons. We all know it lost third-party support, which really affected sales and (ultimately) first-party support. When was the last time a console maker announced its next system 2 years into a life cycle? I simply can't recall that ever happening. With the NS already checking in well below the competition, I don't know how they plan to avoid another WiiU-like third-party abandonment, etc.

maxleresistant said:
monocle_layton said:

At least you enjoyed the early years of nintendo. PC gaming has a lot to offer too.

As for F-zero, have you seen the new game that looks similar to it? It's called Redout, and I'd recommend it if you want a game that's close to F-zero.

I know how you feel with wanting old games returning. Punch out, f-zero, metroid...I expect metroid to return, but unfortunately I don't think we will see punch out or f-zero. With joycons though, we may see Little Mac make a return. You never know when it comes to nintendo.

I'll probably get redout on PC. But all these futurisc racing games are lacking the precision of the gameplay of a F-Zero. I was disappointed by Fast Racing Neo because of that, barely played it...

Definitely never have the same feeling of f zero, but it's certainly better than many of the realistic driving games that are awfully similar.

F zero probably wouldn't sell too bad if it was marketed well. I guess nintendo just doesn't want to risk it all (Starfox zero probably makes them more paranoid)

Insidb said:

I bought my WiiU after my PS4 and before my X1, figuring that the PS4/WiiU combo would cover nearly all my bases. Suffice to say, when Nintendo decided to slowly euthanize the WiiU, I was quite displeased. As an owner of every Nintendo system (fine...not the VirtualBoy), I have no recollection of them ever abandoning a console so abruptly and completely. It was rather diaconcerting to me that the NX was announced so early into the WiiU cycle, and the Switch reveal was like a punch to the mouth.

Well, they kind of killed the GBA early too. Of course, not for the same reasons they killed the Wii U since the GBA was wildly succesful.

Without Splatoon I might be a bit salty, but I would still understand the situation as wii u failed commercially. The problem was mostly the all but total lack of third party games on wii u.

Now hoping that Switch will have better support, at least it has an infinitely better name and hopefully marketing, those were the biggest weaknesses of wii u, so all good so far

Around the Network
torok said:
Insidb said:

I bought my WiiU after my PS4 and before my X1, figuring that the PS4/WiiU combo would cover nearly all my bases. Suffice to say, when Nintendo decided to slowly euthanize the WiiU, I was quite displeased. As an owner of every Nintendo system (fine...not the VirtualBoy), I have no recollection of them ever abandoning a console so abruptly and completely. It was rather diaconcerting to me that the NX was announced so early into the WiiU cycle, and the Switch reveal was like a punch to the mouth.

Well, they kind of killed the GBA early too. Of course, not for the same reasons they killed the Wii U since the GBA was wildly succesful.

I agree, but the WiiU lifecycle was the shortest I can ever recall.

Insidb said:

I agree, but the WiiU lifecycle was the shortest I can ever recall.

Sales didn't picked up. The gamepad is apparently too expensive, so they couldn't cut the price to be competitive with PS4 and X1. It's similar to Sega Saturn. Sega opted to use 2 CPUs and several dedicated processors. The console was expensive. When Nintendo launched the N64 and started a price war with Sony, Sega couldn't keep up. They even packed 3 games with the European Saturn simply because they couldn't cut the price because the unit cost wouldn't drop. Both were cases of consoles that weren't competitive and couldn't get a price cut. So, no point in trying anything else.

Of course, you risk pissing off consumers (like when Sega dropped the Sega CD and 32X to launch Saturn). But Wii U sold pretty low numbers, it's safe to say that most consumers are Nintento hardcore fans. They will buy the new console because they want to play Nintendo games. It's necessary to do way more than that to piss off loyal buyers. Casuals and gamers that aren't that big enthuasiasts can leave, but they were a clear minority on the Wii U.

You now, Wii U offered two screen gameplay. Very few games used it for anything useful. It offered the possibility to free up the TV so other people can play and also allow you to play on different rooms. The first case is pretty rare, most people outside Japan have a dedicated TV to play. The second case is, well, pretty niche. Why would you play on a tiny screen in a different room? Better to just walk to yout TV room and enjoy a 50' TV. The only real use I would see is playing in the bathroom, but that's pretty much not usual.

I have a Vita and used remote play only a few times. Mostly to see how it worked and such. I used it out of my house too and it was more useful, but the Wii U didn't had this functionality. The Switch has, with the bonus of not needing Internet since the console is with you. Vita is the same case as Wii U, but Sony didn't launched a successor because they will most likely (and I mean 98% of chance) quit handhelds. They will just keeep manufacturing Vitas while it's possible to get a small profit, since it's sold at profit an still sells 10-20K weekly.

Psintendo said:
Without Splatoon I might be a bit salty, but I would still understand the situation as wii u failed commercially. The problem was mostly the all but total lack of third party games on wii u.

Now hoping that Switch will have better support, at least it has an infinitely better name and hopefully marketing, those were the biggest weaknesses of wii u, so all good so far

Third party support for Switch is even worse than Wii U thus far.

snyps said:
KLXVER said:

Well they havent ever done that, so no need to be salty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BvetoA53MU  If I say I'm fine with Nintendo being 100% family friendly.. I feel like Reek from GoT. I'm not fine with it.

bdbdbd said:

Where would you need mature rated content?

Metroid sequels. New fighting game perhaps. I'd like a western a kin to Red Dead Redemption. Did you know that when Rockstar San Diego was called Angel Studios, they were a Nintendo 2nd party? Even Retro Studios was made up of the Iguana team that created Turok..  I'm a believer that mature content is fine in a family setting as long as it's a fantasy setting (i.e. pirates, ninjas, cowboys, dinosaurs).

I tend to agree; there's nothing inherently wrong with E-rated games, but since that's pretty much all Nintendo make, their output lacks variety.

That's why Metroid was such an important series, it spiced up an otherwise homogenous first party lineup. Sadly, if they made a Metroid for Switch, I'm willing to bet they'd make it some cartoony BS.

curl-6 said:
Psintendo said:

snyps said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BvetoA53MU  If I say I'm fine with Nintendo being 100% family friendly.. I feel like Reek from GoT. I'm not fine with it.

Metroid sequels. New fighting game perhaps. I'd like a western a kin to Red Dead Redemption. Did you know that when Rockstar San Diego was called Angel Studios, they were a Nintendo 2nd party? Even Retro Studios was made up of the Iguana team that created Turok..  I'm a believer that mature content is fine in a family setting as long as it's a fantasy setting (i.e. pirates, ninjas, cowboys, dinosaurs).

I tend to agree; there's nothing inherently wrong with E-rated games, but since that's pretty much all Nintendo make, their output lacks variety.

That's why Metroid was such an important series, it spiced up an otherwise homogenous first party lineup. Sadly, if they made a Metroid for Switch, I'm willing to bet they'd make it some cartoony BS.

Cartoony BS? I would be all over an edgy cell shaded Metroid game. Think Metroid manga.

Hey! They got SONY on my amiibo! Wait a minute. Two great gaming tastes that game great together!

Switch FC: SW-0398-8858-1969

SonytendoAmiibo said:
curl-6 said:

Cartoony BS? I would be all over an edgy cell shaded Metroid game. Think Metroid manga.

Everything else Nintendo makes is already cartoony. Making Metroid cartoony too would make their output even more monotonous. Variety is the spice of life.