By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Same Old Nintendo - KindaFunnyGames

Alkibiádēs said:
Ali_16x said:

Nothing about the Switch is innovative, all they did was take a handheld and give it a dock to plug into the TV. Not sure how that's innovative. The Wii was real innovation.

And how many consoles do you know that can do that and provide a power boost when it's docked? How many of those have detachable controllers, motion control and HD rumble? Nintendo is the first mainstream console to do all of that. It's a pretty unique console and it definitely stands out compared to XBONE and PS4, for better or worse. 

lmao? What is exactly innovative of it getting more power when it's docked? Detachable controllers? 

All they did was take the Wii remotes and put it on a handheld, again, it's not innovative, it's actually something we've seen.

And just because it's the first to do something, doesn't mean it's innovative.

"There is only one race, the pathetic begging race"

Around the Network
Ali_16x said:
Alkibiádēs said:

And how many consoles do you know that can do that and provide a power boost when it's docked? How many of those have detachable controllers, motion control and HD rumble? Nintendo is the first mainstream console to do all of that. It's a pretty unique console and it definitely stands out compared to XBONE and PS4, for better or worse. 

lmao? What is exactly innovative of it getting more power when it's docked? Detachable controllers? 

All they did was take the Wii remotes and put it on a handheld, again, it's not innovative, it's actually something we've seen.

You need to review your definition of innovation. 

Ali_16x said:
Alkibiádēs said:

Wii U prototype controller. It's not terribly difficult to see where the Switch concept comes from, it's largely basically a redo of the Wii U. 

Though actually being portable and only being semi-portable is possibly the difference between 15 million unit sales and more like 40-50 million. 

Also the blue = left, red = right seems to be some kind of Nintendo thing or an interesting coincidence. 

Hynad said:
Ali_16x said:

Innovation is defined simply as a "new idea, device, or method". However, innovation is often also viewed as the application of better solutions that meet new requirements, unarticulated needs, or existing market needs.

And it's the obviously the latter definiton that is being used here. When you say innovation, you think of something ground breaking, something that will change the market, this will not change the market. The Wii did though.

"There is only one race, the pathetic begging race"

He's not wrong though.

Around the Network

The Wii is never happening again. Not unless you have a completely new kind of breakout interface that radically alters everything and *simultaneously* a completely untapped huge population of people who have no games for them (which obviously is not the case today either as casuals thanks to smart devices and Facebook actually have *more* games made for them than "hardcore" gamers do today). 

People just need to get over it. Wii was 10+ years ago, and it's never going to be 10+ years ago again. Ask Blackberry and Nokia, I'm sure they'd love to hop in a time machine and go back to 2005/06 too.

Switch does not change game play. It merely alters the utility of a game system by letting you play the same games away from the TV as you do on the TV, an initiative the Wii U initially started, the Switch just takes it further by being completely portable instead of semi-portable. It is basically a "Super Wii U" or "Wii U 2" if you want to call it as such, it's the natural extension of concepts birthed by the Wii U. 

How many people really *must* be able to play Mario Kart 8 and Zelda: BotW and Skyrim away from their TV is a much different proposition from the Wii which was bringing gaming to people who couldn't play any type of modern game at all and had no one really making games for them.

These are two very, very different things, if anything the Switch is perhaps the most "hardcore" game platform period because it assumes you need to game *so bad* that you can't go without video games even when you're walking the damn dog (like that intro video showed, lol) or at the airport. You really need to love video games already to love this concept. 

Ali_16x said:
Hynad said:

Innovation is defined simply as a "new idea, device, or method". However, innovation is often also viewed as the application of better solutions that meet new requirements, unarticulated needs, or existing market needs.

And it's the obviously the latter definiton that is being used here. When you say innovation, you think of something ground breaking, something that will change the market, this will not change the market. The Wii did though.

What you describe is disruption. Not innovation.

I'm not even sure "Wii changed the industry". It was red hot for a few years, but it's like saying Guitar Hero changed the industry ... not in the long term really.

As the console market is today and has been for a long time now, the regular Playstation and XBox are what make up most of the industry, it's like 2006-2010 may as well have not even happened.

Whereas the NES, SNES, and N64 are Nintendo's most revolutionary consoles in the long run as you can still see their influence on the overall market today everywhere you look ... you see the d-pad, you see the cross 4-button layout, you see rumble, and you see the analog stick eveywhere.

If you walked into a EB Games or Best Buy today from like 2004 or something you'd barely notice motion gaming at all because it's not really a big thing anymore.

the more i read about switch, the worse it becomes. I was initially pleased at the idea of the switch because I had zero faith in Nintendo to be able to compete with PS4 and XB1 as a HOME console with decent 3rd party support so the hybrid idea with a COMBINED library seemed to be a smart move. except, the library is extremely lacking. Even more than even the Wii U. Switch is launching is with 5 game? 3 of them are on Wii U, then there's 1-2 switch and Bomberman.... I mean this is pretty weak and ultimately boils down to the Wii U zelda game to prop up the system. The new Zelda looks amazing, but if I were to buy a console for it I would just get Wii U which has a backlog and provides a similar Zelda experience (switch runs zelda at 900p 30fps, Wii U is 720p 30fps with same graphical settings and similar performance). This COMBINED library doesn't seem to exist when Switch has a smaller launch line up than any Nintendo console in Decades. the rest of the games announced doesn't suggest any more support than Wii U and if any thing it seems like LESS support because it has less 3rd party games in the first year.

Then I learned about the peripheral pricing and am now in the "Fuck off Nintendo" mindset. $70 for a normal controller! $80 for switch joycon set. $30 for joycon grips (lols). Nintendo has the nerve to charge for online after their previous performances and even charges for the required companion smart phone app that is needed for chat. Nintendo is coming off their worst selling console and somehow thinks they will get away with price gouging!

I think the switch will shrink Nintendo's home console presence to sub Wii U level. I can't see how this thing can possibly appeal to more home console gamers than Wii U did when it is literally repeating all of the Wii U's shortcomings as a home console. I don't know how well it will do with the handheld market but they will certainly boost the switch past Wii U numbers BUT it seems to have made a few handheld concessions in order to make it a console as well (like size). Due to this, I can't really estimate how well switch will do overall. However, it does Seems almost like it would have been better for Nintendo to have just bowed out of the home console market and made switch as a FULL handheld.

I hope my opinion changes again, it was initially positive back in Nov. when I first saw it.

VGChartz gonna VGChartz (Defend Nintendo to the death)

I predict that the Wii U will sell a total of 18 million units in its lifetime. 

The NX will be a 900p machine