By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo is letting 3DS cannibalize Switch

Alkibiádēs said:
RolStoppable said:
I expected that some guy would make a kneejerk reaction thread.

Now the revisit of Fire Emblem 2 is a major new game while an actual sequel that is exclusive to Switch doesn't count.

Just saying "we have a Fire Emblem game for Switch next year" doesn't count. Games shouldn't be announced like that. The fact they can't even show a screen means it will get delayed till 2019 anyway.

Would you be happier if they had no talk of it at all? 

The Democratic Nintendo fan....is that a paradox? I'm fond of one of the more conservative companies in the industry, but I vote Liberally and view myself that way 90% of the time?

Around the Network

The fact that they're continuing to support the 3ds makes me think that maybe they do have a successor planned. Something like a Switch mini.

Hilarious; I remember telling some people the exact same thing with the Wii U 3DS situation ( not here ). I was planning to do a thread once, but that was months back.

Anyway, this isn't really the same. Nintendo doesn't seem to be backtracking about the Switch and 3DS coexisting. Yes FE Warriors on both systems may hurt sales, but thinking about it, when looking back at HW where 3DS got all the DLC packed in plus bonus content plus exclusive DLC, this will at least not have the weaker console be the superior version of the game.

Echoes seems to have been in development for a while, and its coming this year right? Fates came out last year. I don't think they wanted to hold back development of remake just for the Switch especially when they have a Switch game in the works down the line

EDIT: Now that I look at the other posts in the thread... are you serious Curl? C'mon

Alkibiádēs said:
RolStoppable said:
I expected that some guy would make a kneejerk reaction thread.

Now the revisit of Fire Emblem 2 is a major new game while an actual sequel that is exclusive to Switch doesn't count.

Just saying "we have a Fire Emblem game for Switch next year" doesn't count. Games shouldn't be announced like that. The fact they can't even show a screen means it will get delayed till 2019 anyway.

I'm guessing Nintendo is going to show more at e3. Maybe they're planning to handle more of their new game announcements similar to Skyward Sword. 

initial announcement > gameplay reveal > full reveal > launch

So, Switch having to share Fire Emblem Warriors with the N3DS and 3DS getting a remake of Fire Emblem Gaiden means we'll get droughts? Switch isn't out yet and we already know of Fire Emblem Warriors for this year and a mainline Fire Emblem for 2018, yet the situation is comparable to the Wii U, which didn't get a single Fire Emblem game (mainline, remake or spin-off) during its entire life? I don't see it.

Around the Network

Was expecting this to be a curl's thread from the title, was not dissapointed.

I will agree that it would have been better if they kept it as a switch exclusive, but I think its obvious that the Switch version will be the superior and definite version, just like it was with Hyrule Warriors, even with the Ne 3DS.

And to play Devils Advocate, thats somewhat normal for the transitioning period.I guess that 2017 will be the 3DS final year, in terms of support.After that we will see full support to the Switch(even though you could say that 80% of Nintendo efforts is already on Switch)

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

I don't think it's bad. It just means you have more options on where to play said game. Either 3ds or Switch.

Having more choice is never a bad thing.

I tend to agree. 3ds needs to die since nintendo decided they wanted a hybrid console. If the switch wasn't a thing, then i'd have no argument.
But i enjoy all the fire emblem games, i'm sure it will be good.

Nautilus said:

And to play Devils Advocate, thats somewhat normal for the transitioning period.I guess that 2017 will be the 3DS final year, in terms of support.After that we will see full support to the Switch(even though you could say that 80% of Nintendo efforts is already on Switch)

But see, this is what concerns me; what if they plan on keeping 3DS alive beyond 2017, or even making a successor to it?

The idea of having all Nintendo games on one platform instead of split between two was arguably the strongest proposition in Switch's favour, but Nintendo isn't acting like this is their plan.