By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo is letting 3DS cannibalize Switch

I guess one argument is that you can only play both FE and BOTW on Switch. So if you only have 3DS or Wii U, then you might as well buy Switch so you can play both. And at higher production levels to boot.

It's hard for 1st party dependant consoles (like Nintendo's) to manage transitions by putting compelling games on the new system, but not completely abandoning a large player base on day one of the new system. Esp with a successful product like 3DS there is a certain amount of revenue dependence on the legacy system while the use base of the new system ramps up. Where there is considerable 3rd party engagement with a console, the 1st parties can more easily focus on the new generation because 3rd parties can be relied upon to release cross-gen games, esp including the annual franchises like Fifa, CoD, previously Ass Creed and others. But Nintendo doesn't quite enjoy that same level of 3rd party engagement, particularly with the annual franchises, and so it needs to manage the transition with cross gen games more in-house.

To be sure it's a rod Nintendo made for its own back. But people should not complain now about something that has become embedded in Nintendo's modus operandi over the course of several generations.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Around the Network
Soundwave said:
I don't know if Nintendo is really going to target the Switch at the portable market until 2018 in earnest, which I dunno ... seems like a bit of an odd strategy, but it's up to them I guess.

I was thinking about the possibility of Nintendo playing the long game. First cater its fanbase. Then making a price cut on holidays and cater to the handheld market. And I think Switch could be upgradable in the long term, with an upgraded dock with a new GPU. Not sure about that though.

The only problem I see is that the main portable unit would be underpowered as hell to make a game both portable and "homey".

Seriously. Those kind of "prophetic" threads are getting old.

Can we wait until the actual console is out and we have any sort of actual sales data before claiming any such things?

Volterra_90 said:
Soundwave said:
I don't know if Nintendo is really going to target the Switch at the portable market until 2018 in earnest, which I dunno ... seems like a bit of an odd strategy, but it's up to them I guess.

I was thinking about the possibility of Nintendo playing the long game. First cater its fanbase. Then making a price cut on holidays and cater to the handheld market. And I think Switch could be upgradable in the long term, with an upgraded dock with a new GPU. Not sure about that though.

That's what it kinda seems like to me. 2017 is about trying to get Nintendo hardcore to buy the system, 2018 I think you'll see a model revision or a new model added that's smaller and they will start to target the 3DS market more in 2018. 

Soundwave said:
Volterra_90 said:

That's what it kinda seems like to me. 2017 is about trying to get Nintendo hardcore to buy the system, 2018 I think you'll see a model revision or a new model added that's smaller and they will start to target the 3DS market more in 2018. 

I think so. They can sell all the Switches on profit this year relying on Nintendo's fans. The real game will begin on holidays, because it's obviously the best period for hardware sales. That's at least why I expect. They're also relying on us to beta test their online services and make sure everything works fine. At least, that's what I feel. We'll see if that's the case on December.

The main issue I have about a new powered dock later is (as I said in the edited post before) the difference in power. You could divide again your userbase. So I'm still doubtful about that rumour.

Around the Network

i disagree. i think this year will be used to transistion the millions (AND MILLIOOOOOONS) of people that didn't buy the wii u. Next year will be used to transition the massive 3ds base to the console by dropping the support for it.

You lost the bet Curl but you still having the same behaviour.

FE Warriors not only will look and perform ten times better on the Switch, which makes it the version fans would prefer, but also is only available for New 3DS, is not even for the 3DS as a whole and they just announced a new FE coming exclusively for Switch, this thread is kind of baseless honestly, from what I understand to stop supporting a console suddenly when the new one is out is usually considered a bad thing, except when it comes to Nintendo for some reason lol This is probably the last year 3DS is getting support anyways, and so far FE is the only new thing confirmed by Nintendo.

Goodnightmoon said:

FE Warriors not only will look and perform ten times better on the Switch, which makes it the version fans would prefer, but also is only available for New 3DS, is not even for the 3DS as a whole and they just announced a new FE coming exclusively for Switch, this thread is kind of baseless honestly, from what I understand to stop supporting a console suddenly when the new one is out is usually considered a bad thing, except when it comes to Nintendo for some reason lol This is probably the last year 3DS is getting support anyways, and so far FE is the only thing confirmed by Nintendo.

If Nintendo drops support for the 3DS, they will do so in a progressive manner. And more importantly, they will drop it only if/once the Switch picks up in sales. 

Yes, i'm really upset they are giving my system's more value.

Just realise that the switch isn't going to make it either way. They are just replicating what they did with the Wii U, but letting your gamepad go a bit further. Nintendo deserves the switch to be a failure and its better for the market if it is.

Let the portable market out of this. Question instead why Nintendo didn't learn with their home console and killed the Wii U early just to poop out the same thing again. It's best if Nintendo sticks to portables.

I am overjoyed with the announcement of the 3DS Fire emblem warrior. I will now get to play the game.

Hynad said:
Goodnightmoon said:

FE Warriors not only will look and perform ten times better on the Switch, which makes it the version fans would prefer, but also is only available for New 3DS, is not even for the 3DS as a whole and they just announced a new FE coming exclusively for Switch, this thread is kind of baseless honestly, from what I understand to stop supporting a console suddenly when the new one is out is usually considered a bad thing, except when it comes to Nintendo for some reason lol This is probably the last year 3DS is getting support anyways, and so far FE is the only thing confirmed by Nintendo.

If Nintendo drops support for the 3DS, they will do so in a progressive manner. And more importantly, they will drop it only it the Switch picks up in sales.

That's what I think too, 3DS was too succesful to kill it suddlenly on March when the thing still has some life.