By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo is letting 3DS cannibalize Switch

zorg1000 said:
Cloudman said:

I see. That's fair enough, but if you're planning to get the switch eventually, why not wait to get Warriors on the Switch then?

what if hes not planning on getting Switch for a couple years? why would he pass up a game he wants that releases this year on a device he currently owns?

That is true, but I'm just thinking about how much DLC KT had on Hyrule Warriors. Perhaps the same may happen to FE Warriors, and waiting some may not be a bad option.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

Around the Network
potato_hamster said:

Have you considered that Nintendo actually doesn't intend on replacing the 3DS with the Switch, and that a 3DS successor is in the works that is not compatible with Switch games?

possible but unlikely.

I see this as being similar to the GBA to DS transition where both recieved solid support in 2005. That year GBA recieved Nintendo published games in the Kirby, Yoshi, WarioWare, Pokemon, Zelda, Donkey Kong, Fire Emblem, Mario Party & Mario Sports franchises while DS recieved entries of Kirby, Yoshi, WarioWare, Pokemon, Advance Wars, Mario & Luigi, Nintendogs, Mario Kart & Animal Crossing.

A big thing to note is that the majority of currently announced Nintendo IP on Switch are being developed in house and are some of their biggest franchises while the majority of currently announced Nintendo IP on 3DS are outsourced smaller franchises.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

This whole thread seems kind of weird.

The 3DS can't cannibalize the Switch, because the two systems are targeting two completely different markets. Yes, both systems can be portable, but while 3DS is designed from the ground up to be a portable, the Switch is a home console too, and this is manifested in its library and price.

The cheapest model of 3DS is $80, while the Switch will be sold at $300, minimum. That in and of itself puts the Switch out of reach of a substantial number of consumers who can afford a 3DS because there are plenty of consumers out there when can't afford to drop $300'on a game console.

3DS gaming experiences are smaller. Literally. There will be nothing on 3DS like Skyrim, or Breath of the Wild, or Mario Odyssey, or Xenoblade 2. 3DS mostly specializes in smaller experiences. Anyone who wants a bigger experience on the go will NEED a Switch.

And really, when you compare the two system's announced titles, I don't really see how anyone can complain. 3DS is getting downports of a Yoshi game, a Fire Emblem spin off, a few localizations of games like Dragon Quest 8, and some genuinely new releases like Fire Emblem Echoes, Ever Oasis, that Pikmin side scroller, and Mario Sports Superstars. Meanwhile, Switch is getting a new Zelda, and new Mario, a new Xenoblade, a new Splatoon, an enhanced port of Mario Kart 8, and even a brand new IP in Arms, all this year. Not to mention a new Fire Emblem in 2018, PLUS the best version of Fire Emblem Warriors. So, basically, entries in all of Nintendo's biggest or coolest IPs, versus some downports and spin offs. 3DS is getting the left overs (albeit I'm sure many of these games will be good), while Switch is set for the main course. Nintendo ain't exactly diverting resources from their top dev teams to make a new Mario Kart or Zelda title for 3DS.

And hell, this is not even counting the titles that will probably be announced between now and E3.

With the 3DS exploding in popularity right now, I'm relieved Nintendo isn't abandoning it. It's clearly got a lot of life left in it, and I'd love to see it move another 5 million units, or more. Nintendo needs a product for the low income consumer, and they need something to keep revenue flowing if the Switch doesn't click. I'm sure Nintendo will eventually move away from the 3DS, but they won't do it for the Switch. They will do it for a smaller, cheaper Switch compatible device that comes closer to the 3DS form factor. Who knows, maybe it'll even be compatible with 3DS titles too. :D

curl-6 said:

*Sigh* All Nintendo had to do was let 3DS die its natural death, but no, they had to keep it on life support and hold back Switch.

FE Warriors not being exclusive to Switch is one less reason for people to buy the system, while major new games like Echoes still coming to 3DS suggests Nintendo is NOT giving Switch the full unified support that they should.

I fear we're looking at another Wii U situation, where Nintendo is trying to support two platforms, and as a result Switch will be plagued by droughts just like Wii U.

Since when Fire Emblem is that big to begin with? Having a port of a Warriors game that will probably run bad will not be a dealbreaker for many people. The main Fire Emblem is coming next year and it's only for Switch, so the remake/spin off/whatever that is Echoes won't matter much. I mean, it's a game that will sell 1~2m at best, how could that hurt Switch sales?

The way I see... they are providing a small amount of small and medium titles for 3DS cause it still can make some money and also earn some trust - after the fail the Wii U was, it's good to see a system getting a decent final year(s).

Bet with Teeqoz for 2 weeks of avatar and sig control that Super Mario Odyssey would ship more than 7m on its first 2 months. The game shipped 9.07m, so I won

zorg1000 said:
potato_hamster said:

Have you considered that Nintendo actually doesn't intend on replacing the 3DS with the Switch, and that a 3DS successor is in the works that is not compatible with Switch games?

possible but unlikely.

I see this as being similar to the GBA to DS transition where both recieved solid support in 2005. That year GBA recieved Nintendo published games in the Kirby, Yoshi, WarioWare, Pokemon, Zelda, Donkey Kong, Fire Emblem, Mario Party & Mario Sports franchises while DS recieved entries of Kirby, Yoshi, WarioWare, Pokemon, Advance Wars, Mario & Luigi, Nintendogs, Mario Kart & Animal Crossing.

A big thing to note is that the majority of currently announced Nintendo IP on Switch are being developed in house and are some of their biggest franchises while the majority of currently announced Nintendo IP on 3DS are outsourced smaller franchises.

Things that were possible but unlikely before the Nintendo swtich launch:

- only 3-4 day one launch games
- paid online service with little to no details about how it functions
- paid online service "free" games are only licenced to users for a month
- no pack-in game
- no Mario game at launch
- using an app for match making and voice chat
- charging for that matchmaking voice chat app
- including a joycon dock that does not have a USB charging passthrough
- $90 price for the dock
- $80 price for a pair of joycons
- $50 price for a single joycon
- $70 price for a pro controller
- $30 price for a joycon dock with USB charging passthrough
- everything that is 1-2 Switch

need I go on?

You keep giving Nintendo way way way too much credit. Everything about the Switch demonstrates that Nintendo is constantly struggling with giving their most loyal fans just enough to suck every last dollar out of their fanbase with as little effort as possible. Selling a new handheld, and putting to rest the idea that the Switch is in fact primarily a home console is a very, very Nintendo thing to do.

Around the Network
potato_hamster said:

- no pack-in game 
- $90 price for the dock

need I go on?

You keep giving Nintendo way way way too much credit. Everything about the Switch demonstrates that Nintendo is constantly struggling with giving their most loyal fans just enough to suck every last dollar out of their fanbase with as little effort as possible. Selling a new handheld, and putting to rest the idea that the Switch is in fact primarily a home console is a very, very Nintendo thing to do.

What's wrong with no pack-in game? Sony and Microsoft don't include a pack-in game at the launch of their consoles either. Why is it a negative for Nintendo? 

And what about no Mario game at launch? There's a Zelda game ready for launch. And Mario is coming later this year as well. Why is it an obligation for Nintendo to release their systems with a Mario game?

potato_hamster said:
zorg1000 said:

possible but unlikely.

- no pack-in game
- $90 price for the dock

need I go on?

well you certainly fluffed up that list by including multiple points that are the same point along with some points that really dont belong......but you didnt address what i said.

the fact that most of the Nintendo IP on Switch are bigger franchises developed by internal teams while most of the 3DS ones are outsourced spinoffs/ports is a pretty good sign.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

You mean just like how GBA Micro took over Nintendo DS right? Oh wait not that never happened. Switch is the new 3rd pillar. If it sells well 3DS will be dropped liked a bad habit.

SegataSanshiro said:
You mean just like how GBA Micro took over Nintendo DS right? Oh wait not that never happened. Switch is the new 3rd pillar. If it sells well 3DS will be dropped liked a bad habit.

A third pillar? The Switch, then the 3DS... What the other one?

The Wii U? If you consider that a pillar, it's no wonder some people think Nintendo will crumble. xD

Hynad said:
SegataSanshiro said:

A third pillar? The Switch, then the 3DS... What the other one?

The Wii U? If you consider that a pillar, it's no wonder some people think Nintendo will crumble. xD

Yes Wii U. Nintendo even said it's not a successor to Wii U but co exist. Just like how Gamecube was one of the pillars even tho it was dead.