By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - I've changed my stance. Nintendo needs to go 3rd party

fordy said:
Puppyroach said:
This is the first time in this new generation with the PS4 and X1 that I´m actually excited with a new release. The Switch feels unique, with it´s own personality. PS4 and X1 are basically interchangeable when it comes to hardware and most games. With the Switch I get something special and that is what every generation should be about. I´m actually not complaining about PS4/X1 because I love games for those systems, they just don´t invoke a sense of something new and exciting for me.

Also, the Switch´s PORTABILITY is one of its greatest features since we haven´t had a home console with this kind of versatility from the big developers before. This, together with the Joy-Cons make it strangely appealing. It does have some drawbacks but overall The big N has done a commendable job.

Would you be happy if the Switch got the same attention that the WiiU got?

What does that have to do with being excited for a console? If it´s not succesful, I wouldn´t be happy about it, but it wouldn´t take away the excitment I feel for the console.

Around the Network
asqarkabab said:
fordy said:

Good. Your argument is quashed.

Lol 

You quashed my argument dont think so 

You agreed that a company has an unlimited amount of revenue. Cannot be the case in a society of limited weath.

Quashed.

Puppyroach said:
fordy said:

Would you be happy if the Switch got the same attention that the WiiU got?

What does that have to do with being excited for a console? If it´s not succesful, I wouldn´t be happy about it, but it wouldn´t take away the excitment I feel for the console.

I understand, but I guess the point I was trying to make was would the Switch be as exciting if it was just Nintendo's games on it?

Now seems like a strange time to change your mind.

All the things people are complaining about Switch -- expensive accessories, paid online services, pricey hardware -- are evidence of why it's much more beneficial for Nintendo to make hardware.

By releasing a proprietary system, Nintendo can earn profits on hardware, software, and accessories. It can reap the profits of paid online and royalties from other game makers. More important it can determine the specifics of its own ecosystem, which is better for its development teams.

Maybe if you had made this argument in January of 2016 it would be a little more plausible. But now, with Switch selling at a profit (and selling out) and with Nintendo leveraging the smartphone audience to increase sales of Pokémon and Super Mario, it seems like a pretty safe time to be in the hardware business.

Veknoid_Outcast said:

All the things people are complaining about Switch -- expensive accessories, paid online services, pricey hardware -- are evidence of why it's much more beneficial for Nintendo to make hardware.

By releasing a proprietary system, Nintendo can earn profits on hardware, software, and accessories. It can reap the profits of paid online and royalties from other game makers. More important it can determine the specifics of its own ecosystem, which is better for its development teams.

Maybe if you had made this argument in January of 2016 it would be a little more plausible. But now, with Switch selling at a profit (and selling out) and with Nintendo leveraging the smartphone audience to increase sales of Pokémon and Super Mario, it seems like a pretty safe time to be in the hardware business.

7th time....Statistics. Read above.

Around the Network
fordy said:
asqarkabab said:

Lol 

You quashed my argument dont think so 

You agreed that a company has an unlimited amount of revenue. Cannot be the case in a society of limited weath.

Quashed

I dont say that they say this themselves and some gaming forums and websites say that

So not quashed 

REQUIESCAT IN PACE

I Hate REMASTERS

I Hate PLAYSTATION PLUS

tak13 said:
Kerotan said:
I'm sorry to hear that but I have to agree.

It would be better for their fans, the market and Nintendo's profits.

What?

Think before saying something when it comes to business, something that you may not have knowledge... That would be a suicide!

No one gurantees that Nintendo software would sell as much as  is needed to match the profits of Nintendo as a hardware maker!

Would nintendo care to make as many games for other platforms, as they create for their own products?

Only Third party would be a could move as a last resort,  i.e in case that Nintendo burns their huge reserves that they have in the banks by having constant financial flops... Nintendo lost money first time with 3DS in 2011, because of the urgent excessive price drop which skyrocketed the sales but 3D effect royalties cost them, then the hardware became profitable with 3DS XL launching at 199$ in 2012! After that they lost money in 2012 and 2013 owing to wii u tablet controller cost+combined with low sales, not amortizing the expenses for research and distirbution... They haven't lose money any other time in their long history and  these  losses were insignificant! They will sell switch on profit from the beginning, they want their core business to return to financial state of 6th gen when with the 104m ( gc+gba ) piece of hardware sold, they earned more than their closest competitor which had way higher hardware and software sales, that thanks to first party software sales.

Anyway, it's better to sell your software in other hardware than yours? it's better to share the money with the manufacturer of hardware, than to get full money by selling your software on your own hardware? ( excluding stores allotment)

Also, is it better to be deprieved of the money from the accessories you sell for your own console?

hahah

Nintendo was 4th in money making of software developers  in 2016,  in their worst market, the, uk, that with few releases and the durability of the older titles, with aging products ( okay there were pokemon ) , if you add the gains from hardware, you probably get Nintendo above ubisoft and activizion, perhaps ea too...

In an nutshell, becoming only third party would be an economic matter, not a sales one! Nintendo  lost just 200m with wii u, they have 5b cash and so many other assets liquid or not... 

P.s

keep dreaming of a Nintendo third party guys... Now that they expanded successfully to mobile, and we wait for movies and theme parks venture... Forget it! Buy their non traditional games on smartphones...

I stopped reading after the personal insult in the first line.  I run my own company,  I'm self employed and there have been days of my life where my earnings were literally $1000 for a single day.  

So think before you claim I've no business knowledge next time.  You can say what you want but it ain't changing my opinion.  Nintendo are better off as a third party developer.  Better for the fans and better for their profits. 

Kerotan said:
tak13 said:

What?

Think before saying something when it comes to business, something that you may not have knowledge... That would be a suicide!

No one gurantees that Nintendo software would sell as much as  is needed to match the profits of Nintendo as a hardware maker!

Would nintendo care to make as many games for other platforms, as they create for their own products?

Only Third party would be a could move as a last resort,  i.e in case that Nintendo burns their huge reserves that they have in the banks by having constant financial flops... Nintendo lost money first time with 3DS in 2011, because of the urgent excessive price drop which skyrocketed the sales but 3D effect royalties cost them, then the hardware became profitable with 3DS XL launching at 199$ in 2012! After that they lost money in 2012 and 2013 owing to wii u tablet controller cost+combined with low sales, not amortizing the expenses for research and distirbution... They haven't lose money any other time in their long history and  these  losses were insignificant! They will sell switch on profit from the beginning, they want their core business to return to financial state of 6th gen when with the 104m ( gc+gba ) piece of hardware sold, they earned more than their closest competitor which had way higher hardware and software sales, that thanks to first party software sales.

Anyway, it's better to sell your software in other hardware than yours? it's better to share the money with the manufacturer of hardware, than to get full money by selling your software on your own hardware? ( excluding stores allotment)

Also, is it better to be deprieved of the money from the accessories you sell for your own console?

hahah

Nintendo was 4th in money making of software developers  in 2016,  in their worst market, the, uk, that with few releases and the durability of the older titles, with aging products ( okay there were pokemon ) , if you add the gains from hardware, you probably get Nintendo above ubisoft and activizion, perhaps ea too...

In an nutshell, becoming only third party would be an economic matter, not a sales one! Nintendo  lost just 200m with wii u, they have 5b cash and so many other assets liquid or not... 

P.s

keep dreaming of a Nintendo third party guys... Now that they expanded successfully to mobile, and we wait for movies and theme parks venture... Forget it! Buy their non traditional games on smartphones...

I stopped reading after the personal insult in the first line.  I run my own company,  I'm self employed and there have been days of my life where my earnings were literally $1000 for a single day.  

So think before you claim I've no business knowledge next time.  You can say what you want but it ain't changing my opinion.  Nintendo are better off as a third party developer.  Better for the fans and better for their profits. 

Insult? I said you may not have. not that you don't have! I'm a careful person and how is that offensive? I said that you many not have knowlegde about something, simply as that, didn't call you with a bad word! However, still we're not about same things...

Even if they analysis says otherwise?

Anyway, next time I will be discussing with people that accompany their suggestion with arguments and have made a research! ( FORUM RULES )

fordy said:
Veknoid_Outcast said:

7th time....Statistics. Read above.

Can you quote me some empirical evidence that supports your argument? I'd be more than happy to entertain it. Show me with numbers how selling games on PC, PS4, and XOne (and paying royalties) would offset selling hardware, accessories and controllers (typically the items with the largest markup), and games just on Nintendo hardware, plus all the royalties, plus fees for online subscriptions, plus virtual console sales.

And then show me how selling as a third party would help the quality and diversity of Nintendo's software output, when we have clear examples in Sega and Atari of the opposite happening. And then tell me how any of this benefits a company fiercely dedicated to setting its own rules and going its own way.

fordy said:
bdbdbd said:

Not really. What Nintendo would lose as a 3rd party, is money made of hardware and accessory sales. They'd also lose royalties coming from third party game sales on Nintendo hardware, and also profit made from their own software would be smaller because of Nintendo would need to pay royalties for every game thay'd sell on other platforms.

Okay, I need to mention this a 6th time, but I have already addressed this argument using statistics. Yes, that includes hardware costs, and licensing costs (royalties are for copyrights).

I must have missed your statistics then. Could you copy and paste them as a reply? 

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.