By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Breath of the Wild Wii U vs Switch loading time difference, Switch = 13 seconds, Wii U= 29 seconds

mZuzek said:
Hynad said:

No. Those are only a few seconds. Like current normal black screens.

In that case this is a complete non-issue, then.

Edit: it works as an indicator for how much the Switch improves on this, though. Personally, I was always annoyed by the loading times on Mario Kart 8, so if this is any indicator they'll be over twice as fast on the Deluxe Edition, and that'd be great.

Forget I said anything. I was sure I remembered it was just a few seconds black screen. 

Turns out it's a proper loading screen that last roughly 10 seconds. Sorry to have mislead you.

Here's a video that should give you a good idea of what to expect. What you are looking for starts at 3:20.

Around the Network
mZuzek said:
Hynad said:

Forget I said anything. I was sure I remembered it was just a few seconds black screen. 

Turns out it's a proper loading screen that last roughly 10 seconds. Sorry to have mislead you.

Yeah, I did recall it being a little big longer than one would like. Still, 10 seconds isn't that bad for something as occasional as this. I'll be fine, I guess (then again I'll have the game digitally, so I imagine that's gonna load slightly faster than from the disc).

Considering it happens when you enter dungeons, and that you don't usually go in and out of a dungeon before you've completed it, I think 10 seconds when you enter it is far from unbearable.

nitus10 said:
Zkuq said:
BREAKING! Optical media slower than game cards.

I guess it's nice to know how much the difference is though, but it's not exactly very useful. It's not that bad in either case here.

For the 6x Bluray reader on the PS4, Ps4pro and XB1 the maximum read speed is about 27MB/sec.  The Bluray players on both consoles are primarily used to load games from the media onto the storage device be it 5400rpm HDD (approx 80MB/sec to 110MB/sec  reads - depends on brand), 7200rpm HDD (approx 23% faster than 5400 rpm), Hybrid HDD (approx 80MB/sec to 500MB/sec - for SSD part) and SSD (approx 500MB/sec).

The read speeds given above depend on the brand with write speed 20% to 30% slower.

Unless you have a class 10 high-performance SD card or cartridge you may have a read performance of approx 250MB/sec but you are going to pay for that performance. A cheap SD card may only have performance figures of 25MB/src read with a reasonable class 10 SD card having an average performance of 50MB/sec reads. 

Without knowing the full engineering specifications of the Switch I can't comment on its internal "bus" which could be SATA 2 (300MB/sec) or SATA3 (600MB/sec - PS4pro) but I very much doubt it could be SATA Express (up to 16Gb/sec) or PCIe (up to 32Gb/sec) which is what my desktop PC has and there are better performing motherboards out there as well.

Now that I have probably confused you (sorry about that) lets put things is a more simple perspective.

When you start a game or even an application you will normally get what can be described as advertising which in the case of say Breath of the Wild will be the Nintendo logo as well as some other information such as graphics engine(s) and there are deliberate delays so that the user can see them. On the PS4 you get exactly the same type of advertising (the XBox will be the same) and depending on the game the advertising part may be anything from a minute to a few seconds.

As an example: I have my Linux operating system for my desktop on an SSD. I click on say Google Chrome and I can barely count to one second before it displays on the screen, yet there are applications that can take up to 15 seconds (most are usually less than five seconds) before being displayed because of so-called advertising. On my PS4 its web browser takes about three to five seconds to start.

Really? Now tell me more about Wii U's Blu-ray drive (OK, it seems to use a format similar to BD) and how it loads data onto Wii U's HDD.

Also, the only confusing part was making a distinction between read performance and performance figures. Are you making the distinction because data is usually not being continuosly read from the media, or is there some other reason for this? I'd also like to know how this compares to reading data from a Wii U disc in normal gaming use, if you insist on making a detailed comparison.

PS: "Now that I have probably confused you" comes across as a bit arrogant (and unnecessarily so since I'm familiar with these things). I'm not sure whether you intended it that way, but whatever.

RolStoppable said:
That's rather useless info. Even if the final retail versions end up being like that, it's still just a value for bootup time/how long it takes to load a save file from the title screen.

True, it being an open world game the Loads should be few and far between.

But if you are not new to Zelda games, which I don't believe you are, you should know that at some point there will be a teleporting method to avoid having to ride ones horse from one end of the map to the other.

This will then require loading again. If you played FF15, you know that these loading screens from teleporting around the world map can take a long time. It's basically like a boot-up load time.

RolStoppable said:
That's rather useless info. Even if the final retail versions end up being like that, it's still just a value for bootup time/how long it takes to load a save file from the title screen.

I'm pretty sure this won't just be the initial load times. It's going to affect all loading across the board.

Around the Network

Well, still beats FFXV's 1,5 minute loading times... Or the 45-60 second loading times every time you quick travel somewhere barely out of sight.

nitus10 said:
Zkuq said:
BREAKING! Optical media slower than game cards.

I guess it's nice to know how much the difference is though, but it's not exactly very useful. It's not that bad in either case here.

For the 6x Bluray reader on the PS4, Ps4pro and XB1 the maximum read speed is about 27MB/sec.  The Bluray players on both consoles are primarily used to load games from the media onto the storage device be it 5400rpm HDD (approx 80MB/sec to 110MB/sec  reads - depends on brand), 7200rpm HDD (approx 23% faster than 5400 rpm), Hybrid HDD (approx 80MB/sec to 500MB/sec - for SSD part) and SSD (approx 500MB/sec).

The read speeds given above depend on the brand with write speed 20% to 30% slower.

Unless you have a class 10 high-performance SD card or cartridge you may have a read performance of approx 250MB/sec but you are going to pay for that performance. A cheap SD card may only have performance figures of 25MB/src read with a reasonable class 10 SD card having an average performance of 50MB/sec reads. 

Without knowing the full engineering specifications of the Switch I can't comment on its internal "bus" which could be SATA 2 (300MB/sec) or SATA3 (600MB/sec - PS4pro) but I very much doubt it could be SATA Express (up to 16Gb/sec) or PCIe (up to 32Gb/sec) which is what my desktop PC has and there are better performing motherboards out there as well.

Now that I have probably confused you (sorry about that) lets put things is a more simple perspective.

When you start a game or even an application you will normally get what can be described as advertising which in the case of say Breath of the Wild will be the Nintendo logo as well as some other information such as graphics engine(s) and there are deliberate delays so that the user can see them. On the PS4 you get exactly the same type of advertising (the XBox will be the same) and depending on the game the advertising part may be anything from a minute to a few seconds.

As an example: I have my Linux operating system for my desktop on an SSD. I click on say Google Chrome and I can barely count to one second before it displays on the screen, yet there are applications that can take up to 15 seconds (most are usually less than five seconds) before being displayed because of so-called advertising. On my PS4 its web browser takes about three to five seconds to start.

Hmmm.  So the PS4 and Xbone both come with 5400 RPM hard drives.  Do you think it is likely that the Switch Game Cards hit right around that 80MB/s read time to get parity or near to it with Xbone and PS4 load times while playing off physical media?  

Mummelmann said:
Well, still beats FFXV's 1,5 minute loading times... Or the 45-60 second loading times every time you quick travel somewhere barely out of sight.

Ha, no kidding. I most the time avoided doing skip travel and just rode the car. Figured why wait a minute or more to load when the car ride takes 3 minutes yet at least I get a few AP out of it. I just click travel and then go make a sandwich or surf the web while i wait.

Or if it's close, just hop on a chocobo and run the minute to wherever versus the 30 second load times.

Way to big of load times on FF15. Heck, when you start getting the faster car. You know 70mph, it will sometimes be driving too fast and do a quick 3 second load. Rediculous.

RolStoppable said:
irstupid said:

But if you are not new to Zelda games, which I don't believe you are, you should know that at some point there will be a teleporting method to avoid having to ride ones horse from one end of the map to the other.

This will then require loading again. If you played FF15, you know that these loading screens from teleporting around the world map can take a long time. It's basically like a boot-up load time.

Quick travel in Xenoblade Chronicles X doesn't take more than a few seconds if you go to another point within one of the six main areas. Warping to close points (to make enemies respawn) happens almost instantly. If you quick travel to a different main area, the loading time is no more than 30 seconds in the worst case (New Los Angeles).

Ah, too true. Didn't think of Chronicles X. Which is a better example to use, seeing as it is a Nintendo game on a Nintendo console.

Switch had similar loading times during the treehouse stream?
~13s to bootup the title and ~29s to load a save file.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qadzCB3CLlI&t=4h23m50s

SvennoJ said:
Only 29 seconds? I need to buy a faster kettle. The real question is indeed, how long does it take after a death. Anything over 10 seconds increases the chance of damage to the controller...

That seems to be around 15s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfK3jmdNVtQ&t=4m15s

irstupid said:
RolStoppable said:

Plus everytime you go into a Shrine you'll have a loading time (saw someone mention 10s)
and going back to the overworld should take around ~30s?

mZuzek said:

Edit: it works as an indicator for how much the Switch improves on this, though. Personally, I was always annoyed by the loading times on Mario Kart 8, so if this is any indicator they'll be over twice as fast on the Deluxe Edition, and that'd be great.

Mario Kart 8 seems to be around 10s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfK3jmdNVtQ&t=12m10s

@Twitter | Switch | Steam

You say tomato, I say tomato 

"¡Viva la Ñ!"