By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Which MicroSD card to buy for Switch

Switch seems like a console where physical is the way to go, if you buy it I would just wait untill the 32 internal storage is full before buying a micro sd card to compliment it, prices on sd cards always drop fast.

At least Nintendo didn't go the horrible route of the Vita with memory cards lol

Twitter @CyberMalistix

Around the Network

What? Are people not discovering how costly SD cards until now?

256GB seems to be the biggest you can get right now, but they're really, really expensive. I don't think it's feasible that anyone will ever want to cash out for a 2TB SD card at any point in the Switch life cycle, those are probably 1-2 years off and will cost a fortune for a long time.

I'd go with 128 for now, wait for prices to drop. Spending 3-4 times the amount of money on twice the storage seems kinda like a waste.

Nintendo games are known to be relatively small so a 128GB should last you long enough

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

Well thanks for responses. Had a meeting just after I posted, so wasn't around to look.

But yea I figured 128gb was fine. 256 is like 4x the price. 128 at $40 or so is not bad at all.

As for speeds though. I see the obvious 90 or 95 read speed, whatever it is at that U3 version. But I have read on forums that some phones for example cap out at like 30 or some smaller number. Any word on the Switch? If it has a cap of like 30 or something as well, no point in something that is not needed? Suppose would only be saving maybe $5, but just want to know for more technical reasons.

But yea, 128 should be enough for a while. I mean Zelda, being as big as it is, is only 14 gigs I believe. And the catridges that the games come on for the switch are only 16gb. So even at max, that is close to 10 games with 128+32 on storage (games aren't fully 16gb, but neither is the storage fully 128+32) Plus that is full size AAA games. I don't see me owning that many of those for a long time. The indie games should be significantly less.

I bought a 64 gig with like 80 speed because it was on sale. Will it be enough if I go digital only? No, but then I guess I can cycle through sd cards if need be (which may sound annoying, but it would be less cycling than would be for game cartridges and FAR less annoying than cycling through game discs).

The era of convenience with the Switch is going to be wonderful. I'm not sure I'll ever be able to go back to discs after this.

Around the Network
Dulfite said:
I bought a 64 gig with like 80 speed because it was on sale. Will it be enough if I go digital only? No, but then I guess I can cycle through sd cards if need be (which may sound annoying, but it would be less cycling than would be for game cartridges and FAR less annoying than cycling through game discs).

The era of convenience with the Switch is going to be wonderful. I'm not sure I'll ever be able to go back to discs after this.

Yea, I was tempted to buy the special edition of Zelda for the carrying case. Not that I care so much about the carrying case for its looks or anything. It was just when he opened it, I saw slots for like 16 game cartridges. So I was thinking of no digital, and I can carry all my games with me.

Then I heard that the cartridges are only 16gbs a piece, thus games are that size at most. With just a cheap 128gb, I can have the convenience of having almost a dozen full size games on it, or half dozen full size games and a ton more indie small games.  I'd much rather it all be on one "disc" per say than swapping. So pure digital to me. I love pure digital on the 3DS.

I have a 64GB laying around that I'm going to use for patches and download only games (going physical this time) but honestly, you don't need super high speed ones, the lower end will do fine unless you get it from a shady shop or name brand.

BTW, best bang for the buck ATM are the 200GB ones especially when they are on sale, just saying.

I'll get this bad boy:

At 340 € it's a little pricey. But screw it, I have the money, I didn't buy anything for myself in the last 6 months and I want as much space as possible. So I'm going all in! =D

Edit: god damnit, that's not even a micro SD. Fuck me, I'm stupid. So I guess it will be 256 GB then. Pity. =P

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

spurgeonryan said:

Just a question, can we not use an external while at home?

Apparently the Switch is compatible with them but the feature is not active yet, possibly in future the will be a patch to activate it, most likely it's a feature for those who will mainly use it at home.