By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo games: no longer a value in forum dweller eyes

The goalposts for judging a console are:

Visual art, music, story,... 67 33.84%

Visual art, music, story,... 41 20.71%

Cutting-edge graphical power 23 11.62%

Just gameplay 38 19.19%

Just visual art, music & story 6 3.03%

Other 23 11.62%

Total:198
padib said:

Lately there have been a series of articles on the Nintendo Switch. The general comments made by some users have been of the order "it is priced like a PS4 and yet the PS4 has all these games already for it". Or "it's not powerful enough".

Let me ask you a question: when you buy a Nintendo console, what do you buy it for?

Many people buy Nintendo consoles for Nintendo's flagship games. Therefore you can't say the PS4 is a better value at the same price because the PS4 doesn't have Nintendo's games.

Others buy Nintendo's consoles for portable games and especially japanese games, because Nintendo portables have been highly popular in Japan since, like, ... forever.

So again you can't say that the PS4 is a better value at the same price.

ONE: You get Nintendo's games

TWO: You get 3rd party japanese games that are portable style and that cater to people who buy Nintendo's portables.

THREE: You get a portable system. The PS4 doesn't offer that.

So why when you bring up these arguments, if someone counterpoints with "it has Nintendo games and Nintendo-like 3rd party games", you discredit the argument?

Nintendo consoles are bought for the games, Nintendo makes great games, and Nintendo doesn't care about the race to graphical power anymore. The graphics are good enough, what matters now is the music, the art, the gameplay and in many cases the story.

Stop arguing for the sake of arguing and understand the heart of the matter. When it comes to Nintendo consoles, you are buying quality of build, special design and the promise of a library of great games.

Stop changing the goalposts.

Me, at least, aint doubting Nintendo's console or games quality. Thats a given. But, they not going into the graphic race, why they price their console as if it was high end...

All this internet rant is not about Nintendos Software or Hardware Quality, its about the pricing. 

Lets see which one is a better strategy...

Sony: Sold millions of PS3 at a loss... because they risk it to gain more developers and so, get money back from software sold on its system... That was key for them to have the next gen won (in the developer department), and they are still making money with some PS3s still being sold to this day...

Nintendo: They prefer to not sell at a loss, thus, losing console sales, and making developers go away. Their money gain will come only from the little amount of consoles and games developed by themlseves and will gradually be losing more and more fans... even the hardcore ones.

So, which one is a better strategy?? I only see a prideful company trying to go against the waves...

Just sell the Switch at $250 and the success rate will skyrocket.

"We all make choices, but in the end, our choices make us" - Andrew Ryan, Bioshock.

Around the Network
Captain_Yuri said:

I certainly buy Nintendo consoles for Nintendo games and that has always been the case. You can't get Nintendo exclusives anywhere else until they get emulated by PC near the end of the cycle.

But the issue with the Switch for me is the barrier to entry is requiring a lot of urks and urghhs than usual.

See with the wiiU, sure there was a barrier of entry of $300 to play Nintendo games but apart from buying the games themselves and the content, there was no other fee required. Now the Switch has an online fee. We dont know how much it's going to cost but it is still going to cost something... So if I don't pay for online, the amount of Nintendo games I would be playing would be less. Each generation, the two biggest games I play are MK and SSB. Both of which heavily rely on online to carry and single player can't carry alone for me. So two of the biggest franchises Nintendo has to offer for me aren't an option anymore unless I pay for online which I have not done Ever on any console. And of course, any game that has an online component like Splatoon becomes less valuable unless I pay for the online.

Next, battery wasn't good on the wiiU gamepad but it wasn't meant to be a console on the go. The Switch which is meant to be a console on the go has a worse minimum battery life than the wiiU's gamepad. Like come on... They couldn't even match it at a minimum?

And the price of the accessories and etc are cray cray.

So the point is, the Switch, even for just Nintendo games is a tougher pill to swallow because it requires me to pay extra for online and pay extra for a portable battery bank on top of the $300 price tag. And if I don't pay for online, the library of games that I am buying the switch for will be less due to the games that do have a fairly strong emphasis on online play which I love to play every generation.

I relate to this quite a lot. For me as well as what was said, I'm also finding it irksome to see them go "it's more pwoerful than the Wii U", and yet we're getting talk of Zelda not being able to hit 60fps, even at 900p. I listened to TB's talk of his view on the system in general. He would love a 60fps Zelda and didn't care if it was at 72op. In fact he talked about how good it was for Nitnendo to care more about the fluidity odf their games than cinematic visuals, and I can agree with that as well. I'd love to play the latest Zelda at 60fps, even if it was at 720p, because tbh, 720p on that small screen isn't as big as seeing 720p on a massive tv.

I just want to play games they are offering at 60fps. The competition is so enthralled with faux 4k, VR and cionematic gameplay, that they forgot to nail the full on 1080p 60fps (for absolutely everything). THe part where they are going to charge for online multiplayer has left me with a negative mark on getting the system. I've not paid for online since the early 360 days and I sure as hell ain't taking that back up now. The battery life is a concern for me, but I'll more than likely be playing it within a room that has a plug for charging, even planes these days offer charge ports, though having to buy a battery bank just for extra life feels like a spot of laziness on their part.

Honestly most of those cons from their end, feel more like pros for them, because those cons are something we'd have to endure or walk around, rather than Nintendo going "ok we fucked those cons up, let's actually sort all those out and turn them into pros for you". Chances are that won't happen as much. It'd be like hoping for the day where Nitnndo actually prices down their games after a few months to years (Like how I still paid very close to full price for LBW, a whole year and a few months later).

Also that pro gamepad and all the other accessories costing $70 and above:

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Chazore said:

battery life is a concern for me, but I'll more than likely be playing it within a room that has a plug for charging, even planes these days offer charge ports, though having to buy a battery bank just for extra life feels like a spot of laziness on their part.

It should be noted all reports I have read and hands on report that the charge port is at the bottom of the console and is not accessible when in kickstand mode. Thus you really can only use the charger when in portable mode with the joycons on the side. That style is obviously less comfortable with long-term use, and most people consider the pro-controller to be far superior to use. So this appears to be a major design oversight and will only enchance the criticism of its battery-life and true battery life in places like on an airplane/train etc where the kickstand use would be most viable.

Games do count for something, that's why people are upset the Switch has hardly any games coming to it.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

padib said:
Ruler said:

Yeah but the PS4 has Sony games so what is your point?

The 3DS launched at 250$ and even that was overpriced to many hence why they doped the price very early.
If this is a handheld and console hybrid why is it priced like a current gen console? Thats the main issue for many people. 

My point is that Nintendo games are the value of a Nintendo system. You can't say Sony's PS4 is the same price and it has Sony games therefore it is a better value. The types of games are so vastly different, their pedigree so different.

It's like as if you bundle all the movies made by one actor, say Leonardo Dicaprio, and all the movies by Steve Carell and say "Hey, they're the same price but Leo has more movies so it's a better value to buy his bundle."

It doesn't work that way.

Counterpoint: Wii U. Nintendo games and nintendo games alone obviously isn't enough to sell a console.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
Good analysis, padib.

But you have to remember that people are scared because Nintendo is stronger now than they were with Wii U and 3DS. They have to take preemptive measures to discount Nintendo, because Nintendo has been gaining a lot of ground in public mindshare lately.

This is completely nonsensical. People aren't scared of Nintendo. They're laughing at them because the Switch is even worse than many of the nay-sayers thought. They're laughing because many of Nintendo's biggest fans on this site aren't even buying one. They're laughing because many of those that are still buying it have changed their tune from "this thing is going to be super powerful and get all of the third party games, and it's going to get all of 3DS's franchises, and it's going to be amazing on the go" to "we don't ned third parties, Nintendo games sell Nintendo consoles! Those 3DS franchises are t-totally coming guys, I swear! Those little controllers are totally worth $50 a piece! 3 hour advertised battery life is totally great! You can take your Switch on the toilet while you poop! PS4 can't do that!"

It's hilarious and sad.

I cannot believe we are still at the point people still push the narrative that Nintendo is somehow so superior in 1st party offering its of value over the competition. Maybe personally to you, and that's fine. And its not like their games are bad, they are great for the most part. But this idea they are superior to someone like Sony at this point is laughable. Hell if you are just looking in the last decade Sony has way more 75+ rated exclusives on Metacritic as Nintendo, and almost as many as Nintendo and Microsoft combined. And they do that while still carrying the top third-party offerings people want. This is the area that Nintendo seems to struggle to grasp. More people buy an annual Call of Duty game in its first day on sale, or in its first weekend of sale, than what most Nintendo games do all-time.

Hell Uncharted 4 in 7 months sold 8.8 million copies, more than any Zelda has ever sold in years on the market. Smash, 3D Mario, and Mario Kart sell really well. Outside of that the market has spoken pretty clearly there are so many newer franchises that gamers care more about than Nintendo franchises in today's world.

No. Switch has the price of a PS4, yet the PS4 comes with a game, way over 10 times the memory, and is still much more powerful. 

I considered getting a Switch at launch, but not anymore if I can get much more from a PS4 bundle at the same price (actually, PS4 is cheaper than Switch in Canada, but kinda irrelevant). I mean, you have a point; I will still get a Switch for Nintendo games. But as a consumer, I feel very disgusted at the value Nintendo is offering me Vs. a PS4.

Bet with bluedawgs: I say Switch will outsell PS4 in 2018, he says PS4 will outsell Switch. He's now permabanned, but the bet will remain in my sig.

NNID: Slarvax - Steam: Slarvax - Friend Code:  SW 7885-0552-5988

RolStoppable said:
potato_hamster said:

This is completely nonsensical. People aren't scared of Nintendo. They're laughing at them because the Switch is even worse than many of the nay-sayers thought. They're laughing because many of Nintendo's biggest fans on this site aren't even buying one. They're laughing because many of those that are still buying it have changed their tune from "this thing is going to be super powerful and get all of the third party games, and it's going to get all of 3DS's franchises, and it's going to be amazing on the go" to "we don't ned third parties, Nintendo games sell Nintendo consoles! Those 3DS franchises are t-totally coming guys, I swear! Those little controllers are totally worth $50 a piece! 3 hour advertised battery life is totally great! You can take your Switch on the toilet while you poop! PS4 can't do that!"

It's hilarious and sad.

I take it, the conclusion at the end of your post is a review of your own post.

Nope, it'a actually a comment on your belief that you might actually become a moderator on this site someday.

Weren't we all on here not too long ago saying it needed the third party games to succeed. Now that we know that it isn't going to happen it's fine if they don't get third parties. It's been a confusing year.