By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo games: no longer a value in forum dweller eyes

The goalposts for judging a console are:

Visual art, music, story,... 67 33.84%

Visual art, music, story,... 41 20.71%

Cutting-edge graphical power 23 11.62%

Just gameplay 38 19.19%

Just visual art, music & story 6 3.03%

Other 23 11.62%

Total:198
padib said:
VAMatt said:
Value is subjective. This whole thread is pointless.

My point is based on sales. The whole point of this forum...

Sales prove value. Nintendo systems and games have a track record of being coveted. Therefore it's not logical to compare them to games on other systems and say it's the same value.

Its illogical to tell people that the value they assign to a game is wrong.  Value, especially on something that's basically art, like a video game, is completely subjective.  So, a game is worth whatever a prospective buyer says it is, and they can assign that value based on whatever criteria they want.  

The OP attempts to tell readers how they must evaluate the value of a game.  I'm guessing that you were basically just explaining your thoughts on value of Nintendo games.  But, the way it is written, the OP tells people that if they don't assign value in the same way that you do, then they are wrong.  

Around the Network
padib said:
VAMatt said:

Its illogical to tell people that the value they assign to a game is wrong.  Value, especially on something that's basically art, like a video game, is completely subjective.  So, a game is worth whatever a prospective buyer says it is, and they can assign that value based on whatever criteria they want.  

The OP attempts to tell readers how they must evaluate the value of a game.  I'm guessing that you were basically just explaining your thoughts on value of Nintendo games.  But, the way it is written, the OP tells people that if they don't assign value in the same way that you do, then they are wrong.  

That wasn't my point at all. My point was to say that the opposite logic is invalid, which you seem to agree with me about.

The opposite side was arguing that since the PS4 has certain games and is priced relatively the same, that the value was much higher (in general). They didn't say: to me. They stated it as a generality.

So I wanted to make it clear that the market evaluated things differently.

If I was unclear then I made the same mistake as the people I meant to correct and then I suck.

If so, my bad.

Got it.  I guess I misunderstood.

Rogerioandrade said:
For me, what really matters are the games. And people buy Nintendo consoles for their games - and also for some 3rd party support, specially in the handheld cathegory.

People seems to forget, from time to time, that some very succesfull franchises today are in Nintendo consoles: Monster Hunter, Pokemon, Mario games, Yokai Watch, Animal Crossing, Shin Megami Tensei (in Japan, of course), Dragon Quest etc etc etc There´s enough great franchises to guarantee them some decent sales.

People keep grumbling about specs and memory and battery and whatever but we´ve seen all those issues in many different devices recently and even in some consoles. Every console has its issues. I have a PS4 and I waited a long time to buy it because the initial $399 price tag was too much to me. It has "excellent" 500 Gb of memory but it doesn´t mean much because games require installation. I have only 07 games and they already consumed 40% of the memory! Also, the battery life of its controllers just suck hard. They barely last 04 hours even with all the energy saving options on. Setting multiplayer games is also cluncky with the need of creating multiple profiles. Why can´t I just press the damn start button for a second player?

No console is perfect. In the end, what really matters are the games. Nintendo can be successfull if the Switch has a good flow of launches of its exclusive franchises, like the 3ds had, and a few adjustments on the peripherals prices. After all, what people really want are good games, not just high-tech expensive devices. A device like that can´t doanything if it has no great games

But switch doesnt have that yet. We cant say they're coming to switch if those titles are not even announced for switch. Everyone made the same premise when wiiu came out, but the reality speaks different.

Nintendo still makes games that no other console or system does( though the Wii U had less).

I find it much better to go Nintendo and PC. Last gen i had all three consoles and there wasn't that much variety between them but still enough to justify at least two consoles  ( prices were cheaper on consoles then too) and a moderate pc for games and you could get a wide array of games and game genres.

Now PC gets so many games, that you don't seem to miss many third party games by having a pc, and nintendo covers the rest. I'm ok with missing a game or two that i have some interst in, but so far that's about all I'm missing by not picking up ps4 or xbox 1 yet (especially since persona 5 is still getting a ps3 release).