By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Would you buy a Switch android clone?

Peh said:
bonzobanana said:
Some wierd responses there. Clearly android has 1000s of games and emulators would be able to run I guess up to dreamcast level at full speed so 10s of 1000s more. It wouldn't be a closed system it would actually run all android games and the VR side android systems, nibiru etc. Also isn't android actually the most popular gaming system in the world by actual time spent playing. I'm sure I read that somewhere.

Lets face it the portable performance of the Switch is right in android territory but docked performance of Switch is at the top end of android performance.

Agree with some of the other points but I think we will see Switch clones soon although not necessarily anything like the spec I came up with. Probably at a cheaper level and lower performance.

I think I'd be tempted if it was well done and I could pretty much run all my android games and decent speed for emulation. It's really how they implement the game controller and how it works with existing android games and emulators. I'd want games to ideally automatically configure to the controller with some older titles having a fast joypad configuration utility. I suspect such clones will be half-baked and not fine tune such details though.

What you just described is the concept of the OUYA. It failed so hard that no one else will try it. Those 1000 games are not meant to be played on a tv. Those are cheap puzzle games which entertain you for 10 minutes max.

Absolutely nothing like Ouya why would you even make that comparison. Ouya was a closed sytem with few games. Many android games are designed around being played on a big screen. An absolutely huge number of android boxes were sold last year which have no other display than tv and you have a wide selection of fps, racing and other games. You need to look again at the android library. Many of the indie games you see on nintendo's eshop are actually on android too. Puzzle games are more aimed at touch screens generally. Arcade action games tend to be be best played with joypads.

Around the Network
bonzobanana said:
TheWPCTraveler said:

Considering that they typically don't care about margins, I say $199 is doable for this sort of device. I say doable, because components should drop in price for the next upgrade cycle.

This should be possible by August.

It's easily doable now by chinese mobile companies. They do 1080p phones now between £60-80 that deliver higher cpu performance to Switch. Good quality too although I guess foxconn manufacturing quality would be rated slightly higher athough saying that there has been problematic devices made by Foxconn.

Quick conversion: Price range you gave is USD 72-98, not bad. I still stand by my statement, but could you give me a phone that already has the Adreno 510 and a 5.5" 1080p screen within the price range? Any brand will do.

I was looking at your twin-stick frame, and said "nope". Look, that controller config alone will set you back $50 in manufacturing and that's being very very very generous with the battery. And, two docks? $20 overall. That's $70 on top, so that's not too bad.

This is also discounting the terrible battery that you had the nerve to put on the phone itself. I'd suggest a better config: 3400 mAh phone; 2600 mAh controller. Both common sizes iirc.

I WON A BET AGAINST AZUREN! WOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

:3

1. Its definitly wrong that there arnt console class games on Android. Companies like Gameloft ported dozens of "ripoff" of successfull franchises to android including clones from Call of Duty, Halo, Starcraft, World of Warcraft, Need for Speed and many more.

2. I think its more likely to see a windows based x86 tablet. 

The new Intel Core CPUs have a low TDP and intels integrated graphics chip like the 630-650 already outperform the Nvidia Shield Console in benchmarks.

Games like Overwatch, Skyrim, Call of Duty, Doom, basically all 7th gen PC games should play fine on those devices. Add 2 controllers that snap on the side and your ready.

We already had similar devices in the past like this: 

Emulators like Dolphin should run fine as well, so all gamecube and wii games available.

With todays tech and none dedicated graphics card such a product should easily be achievale for 300-500$ now. 

My last portable console was a '80s single game one, then I started playing again on the go with my phone, but it's not comfy with its less than 4" screen, and now on my 10" tablet, and as what I miss more in phones and tablets is good controls (the only good one is tilting the screen for steering for my tastes, while virtual pads, sticks and buttons have the big con of no feedback), and not being a big fan of Ninty exclusives, I could consider buying such a thing.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

bonzobanana said:
Mnementh said:

I stop you right there. Games? This is the important thing before you start with any technical stuff.

They are definitely coming on in the android world. The quality level perhaps was wii/gc/ps2/xbox level sometime ago but we are now starting to see 360/ps3/wii u level games.

Can you show us some good Android games at 360/ps3/wii u level?

Around the Network

seriously? The android games would have shovelware, where as the Switch would have Nintendo games. It could be 3x as powerful, have 3x the battery life, and be the same price and I still wouldn't take that deal. Nintendo games are simply the best. Some, lately, haven't been that great, but I'm convinced they rushed them out just to make it look like they had more games for the Wii U so that they could then rush those teams into Switch development so that the Switch never has a drought like the Wii U did most of its life or the 3ds did its first year.

Conina said:
bonzobanana said:

They are definitely coming on in the android world. The quality level perhaps was wii/gc/ps2/xbox level sometime ago but we are now starting to see 360/ps3/wii u level games.

NUser said:
Conina said:

Are you joking?

Goodnightmoon said:

Are you joking?

Why should I? Explain.

Multiple reasons not to:

- I really dislike the Android OS/Google stuff and its eco-system very much.
- Games are mobile/very limited games and 99% garbage to me; this is not because of Android itself tho.
- Nintendo games are the reason why I want a Nintendo console (including the Switch)