By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - I hate to say this...If the Switch isn't powerful as Xbox One, I'm not buying. Let me explain

that's good, more switches for people who want the system!

Around the Network

Switch is 4 to 5 times weaker than XB1/PS4, so as far as getting recent 3rd party AAA games it has the same problem Wii U had, only worse since PS4/XB1 are already going to be in their 4th year of development and PS3/360 ports of games are no longer being made.

My 8th gen collection

So im guessing your a 100% PC gamer since all you seem to care about is visuals and 3rd party. If you dont own a gaming rig right now than your entire post makes no sense to me because than it sounds like you dont know what you want.

I knew you would be the OP of this thread

KLXVER said:
Ck1x said:

Well considering that the Switch runs Mario Kart 8 Deluxe in split screen all at 1080p 60fps that's not a remotely accurate statement! Chances are until they get really optimal at working with the Switch, Nvidia hardware and software API, we won't see the systems full potential just yet. 

The ported games really won't tell much about the Switch, it will be the games created from the ground up that will truly shine.

Mario Kart 8 on WiiU was 60fps in split screen as well though.

While it is 720p 60fps in 2 player split screen mode on WiiU, the game is running at 60hz interlaced on 4 player mode for WiiU. Going from 720p to 1080p the Switch would need something like 2.3x the horsepower of the WiiU to achieve what it does on MK8 Deluxe and during the Tree house live stream they said at all times MK8 is 1080p 60fps on the Switch. That should give us effectively a round about idea oh how powerful it is over WiiU... (When docked shall I say!)

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-vs-mario-kart-8

Around the Network

It's not going to have a ton of third party content, I think you might just want to accept that move on.

If you want one it's going to be for Nintendo franchises + some Japanese 3rd party support and even the Japanese support is probably going to leave you a little wanting.

You're certainly not the first Nintendo fan to bail out due to the 3rd party situation (a good chunk of PS4 owners I know grew up with the NES or SNES), and you certainly won't be the last. It is what it is. 

ICStats said:
Switch is 4 to 5 times weaker than XB1/PS4, so as far as getting recent 3rd party AAA games it has the same problem Wii U had, only worse since PS4/XB1 are already going to be in their 4th year of development and PS3/360 ports of games are no longer being made.

Probably not that accurate really, if the theoretical docked power is somewhere close to 400 gflops, then the XbOne is probably closer to 2.5x as powerful as the Switch. That's accounting for newer hardware design over the older XbOne gcn architecture and efficiency. When we see the first Switch games built from the ground up running between 720p and 900p at 30fps, we will have a better idea of what games can look like. 

Right now BoTW is a open world WiiU port that just happens to run better than the WiiU version in both 720p portable and 900p dock modes. 

Ck1x said:
KLXVER said:

Mario Kart 8 on WiiU was 60fps in split screen as well though.

While it is 720p 60fps in 2 player split screen mode on WiiU, the game is running at 60hz interlaced on 4 player mode for WiiU. Going from 720p to 1080p the Switch would need something like 2.3x the horsepower of the WiiU to achieve what it does on MK8 Deluxe and during the Tree house live stream they said at all times MK8 is 1080p 60fps on the Switch. That should give us effectively a round about idea oh how powerful it is over WiiU... (When docked shall I say!)

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-vs-mario-kart-8

Well thats good I guess.

For someone like me who grew up with NES and SNES/Genesis... it's hard to swallow. The Nintendo of MY youth was the Yamauchi Nintendo. Back then, they went head to head with their competition and did not back down. This continued all the way through to the Gamecube which was much more powerful than PS2 and slightly less than Xbox (but not by much). Then, the Iwata era begins and so too does the idea of selling yesterdays consoles with today's gimmick controls.

This isn't the Nintendo people of my generation is ever going to cuddle in bed with. We just can't get use to it.

pray4mojo said:
For someone like me who grew up with NES and SNES/Genesis... it's hard to swallow. The Nintendo of MY youth was the Yamauchi Nintendo. Back then, they went head with their competition and did not back down. This continued all the way through to the Gamecube which was much more powerful than PS2 and slightly less than Xbox (but not by much). Then, the Iwata era begins and so too does the idea of selling yesterdays consoles with today's gimmick controls.

This isn't the Nintendo people of my generation is ever going to cuddle in bed with. We just can't get use to it.

Well I am of your generation and I dont mind lesser power. Its the lack of games and information thats really getting to me.