By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - I hate to say this...If the Switch isn't powerful as Xbox One, I'm not buying. Let me explain

I don't think I'll be getting the Switch unless theres more details about the hardware being around the Xbox One or PS4 level.

I LOVED the Switch presentation and I HOPE The Switch is powerful enough to gain 3rd Party Support... but if we're seeing an not so powerful console that won't last long then count me out.  What they did with the Wii U is a HUGE turn off. I was buying ALL 3rd party games for the Wii U until it wasn't powerful enough to run them anymore. I didn't want no PS4 because the Wii U had all in one! But I wanted games like Black ops 3, GTA V, Project Cars and everything else. but nope. Then I bought a PS4 to enjoy those 3rd party games and exclusives too.

If the Wii U was more powerful, I probably wouldn't have bought a PS4 until 2015. I can't leave PS4 now, I got friends, data, games I got for it... AND I'M LOVING IT! Since I have a 4k screen, I'm more likely on buying the PS4 Pro over the Switch this year.

I'm not a graphics person, I'm content person... so why do I care about how powerful the Switch is: I'm worried about the Switch being relevant for about a year or 2... and it'll be weak as a smartphone by the year 2020 while the PS5 and XB2 comes out when every games runs 4K gaming.... pretty much Wii U 2.0  

Like yeah I'll enjoy Splatoon 2, Super Mario Odyssey, Breath of the Wild, Arms, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and others.. but the Switch will stilll be Wii U 2.0 if it's not powerful enough.....

I wish all the best for the Switch and if I find out if it's powerful enough ATLEAST around Xbox one level... I'll buy the Switch within a heartbeat!  

Around the Network

Its around WiiU level from the looks of it.

It won't be anywhere close. Its slightly better than the Wii U...

Made a bet with LipeJJ and HylianYoshi that the XB1 will reach 30 million before Wii U reaches 15 million. Loser has to get avatar picked by winner for 6 months (or if I lose, either 6 months avatar control for both Lipe and Hylian, or my patrick avatar comes back forever).

Do you not have a 3DS?

Lol, you watched the presentation right? No where near Xbone.

Around the Network

If Nintendo fans haven't figured it out yet, Nintendo doesn't care about specs. Reggie has said they don't care what the competition is doing. Going in to the Switch, and expecting it to be a portable Xbox One is quite insane.

It's a hybrid. It inherited all the best that handhelds and consoles have to offer, and the worst aspects of handhelds and consoles. There's going to be some pros and cons to Switch.

However, the fact that it's a hybrid at this price point is really destroying how I thought Switch would play out. It's not powerful enough to entice home console owners, the same thing happened to Wii U. And it's too expensive for handheld gamers to simply migrate to Switch. These are the same people who wouldn't buy the 3DS at $250, remember. So then you wonder, how many of those guys are willing to stick it out with Nintendo and pay for their insanely priced peripherals. And my guess is, not many.

The thing with Nintendo's mobile gaming sector was, the hardware was usually cheap, the software was cheap, and it was plentiful. That's not going to be the case with Switch. So the things that were appealing on 3DS, aren't going to transfer to Switch. And unless you bought a Wii U, you're not going to be impressed with the Hardware of the Switch.

The more and more I think about it, Nintendo has cornered themselves into a insanely small corner of the gaming industry. I pre ordered everything just for Zelda but I know not everybody is going to do that. There are going to be people who shell out $299 for Mario and Zelda and a handful of other Nintendo IP, but I don't think that number is going to be huge. I'm sorry, I just don't see things looking up for the success of the Switch. Nintendo is focusing on all the wrong things I'm afraid.

It's just a little over twice as powerful at Wii U. It's not XBO level but XBO isn't a 1 inch thick portable device either.

Didnt you make this same thread like a week ago and everybody told you it is physically impossible for Switch to be as powerful as XBO?

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Mar1217 said:
Nintation360 said:

I'm not a graphics person, I'm content person... so why do I care about how powerful the Switch is: I'm worried about the Switch being relevant for about a year or 2... and it'll be weak as a smartphone by the year 2020 while the PS5 and XB2 comes out when every games runs 4K gaming.... pretty much Wii U 2.0  

What a load of contradictions ! 

he was clear in his post that it's about the major 3rd party titles for him, your deliberately misleading quotation is bad style

Lafiel said:
Mar1217 said:

What a load of contradictions ! 

he was clear in his post that it's about the major 3rd party titles for him, your deliberately misleading quotation is bad style

Well to be fair the OP does also say that he would have bought the PS4 later if the WiiU was more powerful...