By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Is Kimishima really the man to put Nintendo back together?

I had a lot of hope for what Nintendo was doing. It was so solid at building hype in 2016 with the mobile initiative, and the promise land of the Switch, a brand new type of console for the future of gaming.

But the presentation on Friday seemed very disorganized, long winded, and unfocused. It answered almost none of the questions people were asking, and it didn't deliver the software we were expecting. The hardware isn't the issue, it's good, and Nvidia is a great manufacturer. The issue is Nintendo has very little software for the thing. Where's Animal Crossing? Pokemon? Kirby? Metroid? Kid Icarus? Wario? Fire Emblem (not a damn spinoff)? a virtual console? Where're all these games that were promised to us?

Back in 2006, both Wii and DS each offered more than enough games to satisfy on their own. The Switch, which has the dev capacity of both, but after years of prep has only a handful of games to show, and no killer app (Zelda doesn't count since it is on Wii U as well). THEY're launching the console with a drought. The Switch was supposed to NEVER have a drought.

Back when Wii U ran into problems, people were calling for Iwata to be replaced, despite his large number of past accomplishments with Nintendo. I was against the idea, because no one in the industry knew how to fix problems better than Iwata. But what are your thoughts on Kimishima, can he fix this obvious problem? Or do you think he needs to be replaced? What about their software dev team leaders? Is it time for a shakeup? Does Nintendo need to buy up more dev teams?

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Around the Network

He's just as delusion as the rest of the upper management. They need new people to run this company who understand where gaming is going.

Made a bet with LipeJJ and HylianYoshi that the XB1 will reach 30 million before Wii U reaches 15 million. Loser has to get avatar picked by winner for 6 months (or if I lose, either 6 months avatar control for both Lipe and Hylian, or my patrick avatar comes back forever).

He strikes me as a suit, no personality, no charisma, no passion. In years down the road, he might opt for more industry standard hardware and practices (as we've seen with paid online), he certainly doesn't seem like an "innovator" but all that "innovating" hasn't done much for Nintendo recently. The Wii U being discarded quickly and the Switch receiving relatively lukewarm impressions (not overwhelmingly bad, not overwhelmingly good)

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian

No, but not for the reasons stated.

Is that the evil old man who's taken over Nintendo?

Yeah, I like him.

"You don't like our prices? The prices just got $10 higher"
"We're gonna have online and you're going to pay for it"

I hope he accepts all the good 3rd parties and depor-...... bans all the crappy ones. They have to go back.

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

Around the Network

No, he's not. No way Iwata would have let that presentation fly. I don't think anybody at Nintendo is currently fit to run the company. Hopefully Iwata had time to narrow it down to a few candidates to run Nintendo. If not, they just need to Drain the Swamp!!!

RolStoppable said:
The presentation was not a complete overview of Nintendo's Switch games; they didn't even formally announce Mario Kart 8 Deluxe. All Nintendo games that were announced are scheduled for 2017.

Switch isn't launching with a drought. You should check the release schedule before jumping the gun.

That was Nintendos job to inform people on whats coming. The damn thing launches in like 40 days FFS. They could barely give us any launch dates and they gave us nothing about the OS or VC.

Switch will have droughts for many of us that are not very interested in WiiU ports.

Jumpin said:

Back in 2006, both Wii and DS each offered more than enough games to satisfy on their own. The Switch, which has the dev capacity of both, but after years of prep has only a handful of games to show, and no killer app (Zelda doesn't count since it is on Wii U as well). 

You are misremembering things. The Wii launched with twilight princess as its sole high profile game. Metroid Prime 3, Super Mario Galaxy, Super Paper Mario, and Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn are what held the Wii together in 2007. 

The lineup for the Switch looks much better. 

He's been president for less than 2 years. That's a drop in the bucket in terms of development time. Pretty much anything ready now was likely approved before his appointment.

barneystinson69 said:

He's just as delusion as the rest of the upper management. They need new people to run this company who understand where gaming is going.

Yep, Nintendo needs to clean house and get people who understand the gaming world of today. The old people need to go.