By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Your personal view on DLC

Dodece said:

I have noticed that there are basically two camps in regards to DLC. The progressive and the intransigent. That is not to say there are not conservatives or liberals in each group who will share common ground in specific instances. However for the most part your either open to DLC on the whole being good for gaming, or you seem to feel it is a negative aspect in current gaming. What I am interested in is where the line of distinction is. Where do people in the first group say this is unacceptable, and where those in the second group concede to a powerful desire to break rank. I would like everyone who wants to answer the following the questions. You can obviously share your own thoughts, but please provide answers to the questions.

Questions.

1. Which do you consider yourself on the issue progressive or well lets just say conservative?

2. Have you purchased DLC during the past year, and if so how many items and how much was spent?

3. What is your spending threshold. How much for you is too much?

4. Do you calculate value before purchase upto including in depth research, or is it more a whim of the moment? 

5. Which have you purchased more of games, expansions, or miscelaneous? 

6. Answer honestly do you feel most available DLC content is garbage? 

7. Answer honestly do you have the means to purchase DLC both technical and financial?

8. For you what is the most important aspect of DLC in your consideration that persuades or would persuade you to make a purchase.

1. ...well I will vote conservative

2. No, haven't bought any in my life

3. The most I'd spend is maybe $10

4. I calculate the value, i decide how much i'll use it. I'll get my money worth on the CoD4 maps, so i'll buy em.

5. Nothing yet but tomorrow i'm buying expansions (CoD4 maps!)

6. Yes, most is crap

7. Yes, i do

8. if its the game i'm currently playing, I'll buy DLC for it. I don't go between games, i play one game non-stop till the next good game comes out. the current nonstop game is CoD4.

Around the Network
Dodece said:

Questions.

1. Which do you consider yourself on the issue progressive or well lets just say conservative?

2. Have you purchased DLC during the past year, and if so how many items and how much was spent?

4. Do you calculate value before purchase upto including in depth research, or is it more a whim of the moment?

7. Answer honestly do you have the means to purchase DLC both technical and financial?

8. For you what is the most important aspect of DLC in your consideration that persuades or would persuade you to make a purchase. 

1. I'm conservative

2. I must have spent 6 € on a PC Engine game on the Wii, that's all.

3. There's no spending threshold on my part. Downloading for me is not limited by money spent. Thus, there's no way to know how much is too much. It depends entirely on other factors than price. Price was never an incentive to buy sth, that would be stupid. You don't go around buying a lot of $1 stuff, and then don't buy $1000 stuff. This question is actually either stupid or badly made.

4. Value is calculated of course. That's how people buy things. Only people with too much money and time on their hand could buy DLC on a whim. That's because DLC don't just jump in your face, you actually have to take the steps to get to it before being confronted to it. So you need an incentive first to do that. Hence why the answer to this question should be obvious, and why the previous one is stupid.

5. I've purchased more games. All (games, expansions, miscellaneous) are bad buys in my view anyway. This content being tied to the console even more strongly than a game optical disc, it's actually more expensive and has less value than a game disc. So it's far worse.

6. No.

7. Yes

8. Scarcity, or even worse (better), rarity of the content. If I can have sth with another mean that DLC, it usually will get my preference. That's because DLC, such as it's done nowadays, has the worst value of all methods.

Dodece said:

conservative

some extra tracks for MS and Warhawk expansion (+ PSN games) about £20 in total

£5 maximum

Generally, I don't like feeling ripped off

Games

A large part

Yes

Value for money, does it add something new to the game that will keep me playing for longer

I have no issue with DLC nor any real price threshold so long as I deem the service suitable and the content worth the value.

I can both afford DLC and have the means to access it - from PSN, Steam, Apple store, etc.

In general (i.e. not just thinking about DLC) I prefer ease of internet access for purchases vs shopping. I even get most of my food from internet (yes I do go out but for more fun activities that shopping, unless we're talking clothes, in which case I still prefer to browse, try on, etc.) so given I've also bought a lot of DLC I guess I'd say I'm progresive.

Still buy physical media for films / music though and expect to continue that for a while.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

I have no problem with DLC. I would rather not have to pay for it but if it is something I really want then yes I will buy it like Halo and CoD maps.

Hi, this is Vince with Shamwow.

Around the Network

By DLC I mean extra content, or PSN games, not full PC games, cause obviously your price threshhold and what you expect are going to be very different. I have downloaded two PC games: World in Coflict and Company of Heroes Opposing Fronts, and my problem was that it was as expensive as the retail packaging, and it took a day to download, which is as long as it would take to arrive from amazon

Progressive. It allows developers to expand on their games after release. Like new map packs, etc. The only problem I have with some games is where the DLC is already avaliable, you just have to buy an activation (ie Crackdown). I don' feel this is adding to the game, just removing from the original experience.

During the past year I have downloaded several PSN titles (Warhawk, Super Stardust HD, Flow, Loco Roco, Pixeljunk: Monsters, Tekken 5: Dark Ressurection), as well as a Resistance map pack and some Playstation classics (Crash Bandicoot, Crash Team Racing, Theme Hospital, and soon to be Crash Bandicoot 2). The first piece of DLC I downloaded was aboutv 2 years ago, and it was the Half Life 2 Silver pack on PC. I also often download new maps, and mods for games on PC. I download lots of demos for all the platforms I am on. When I get Rock Band, I will probably buy 4-5 songs that I like for it over time. 

Depends on the value of the content. I spent around £30 on the HL2 silver pack, and I dropped £20 on Warhawk. If I'm going to be honest I think that the Playstation classics could get away with being maybe one or two pounds more expensive. Map packs should be around £3 for 2-4 maps (depending on quality of the maps, and how many modes can be played on them). 

I don't just download things for the sake of it. When I go to buy something I have usually researched it quite extensively, without knowing about it. For example, I watched some videos on the Resistance map packs just because I was interested, and so this could count as research. I only downloaded the HL2 silver pack because I had so much fun around a friends playing Counter Strike (mucking around with the console on bot games), and the graphics and story of Half Life 2 impressed me so much (I didn't realise that it was going to go on to be my favourite game of all time when I bought it originally). 

I have purchased more games than anything else. I have only ever downloaded one expansion (Resistance map pack) though that will soon change when the CoD4 content comes out (I will be purchasing the content for two platforms, as well). I can't see the point in spending money on miscelaneous, which is why I'm glad that miscelaneous content is free on the PSN). 

To a degree. I wouldn't say that most of the DLC on the PSN is garbage, but there's not a huge selection avaliable at the moment. I hear that XBL has alot of garbage, but alot of gems, available. In saying that though, I only mean the quality of the content avaliable. Some of the content is crap on the PS3 (costumes, new characters for PAiN), but it's always done to a high standard. 

I have the means to purchase DLC both financial and technical occasionally. It's not that I don't have the money to spend on DLC, it's just that I'd rather spend it on new games, rather than expanding current ones. 

Does it bring back happy memories/Did I miss an important classic game (PS classics). Will the maps be fun to play, and will they add alot more playtime to online play (mappacks). Am I bored of this game, or could I play more (expansions). Does the game score well/Am I interested in the game (downloadable games).

Questions.

- Conservative

- No DLC was purcashed over the last year.

- For downloadable content my spending threshold as of right now is Zero. I will not pay for any non-physical content.

- Never purchase on a whim. Always research and make sure I'm getting the best value for my money.

- None of them

- Yes from what I've seen it is. For things that "expand" current games I would much rather wait a couple years if I have to and have that "expanded" game in the form of a sequel or another title.

- Yes. I am, however, on a gaming budget. This means that I have to decide which item means more to me, Item A or Item B. Say I have $20. I can purchase extra content for 3 or 4 games (depending on what games and content) or hold onto the cash and wait for a game I currently do not own to come down in price and become affordable with the same $20. So far in every instance i've saved that money to put toward a new game purchase rather than DLC.

The absolute only way I would consider purchasing DLC at the moment would be that if after I purchased the content a packaged disc containing the same content I purchased was shipped to my home.

Im for it. Anything to stop game cases lying under my tele.

Dodece said:

1. Progressive, though not entirely.

2. Yes. Dunno, probably $100. Halo maps, tons of Rock Band DLC, a few other things.

3. It entirely depends on the game.

4. Depends. Some stuff I plan from the beginning while many of my RB purchases are spur-of-the-moment. $2/song does that.

5. Pretty split.

6. Yes, I think most is garbage. That's why I choose my DLC pretty carefully.

7. Yes.

8. The content has to be good, it has to be competitively priced, and most importantly, it shouldn't include things that feel as if they belong in the retail release. That's my biggest beef with DLC. Anything that comes out within two months of release (barring a few exceptions) should either be free or very cheap. At that point, it feels like the developer/publisher is just milking its fanbase for money. A few notable exceptions are the Mass Effect DLC, Forza 2 car/track packages, and Rock Band songs. A few things that piss me off are $10 map packs, skins, and other useless crap that developers use to syphon money from their userbase. 

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/