By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Your personal view on DLC

DLC like the paid online service on XBox 360 puts people off. I believe they should be both free. DLC you get a couple of levels for $10 or more gee I paid $60 for an incomplete game.

Around the Network
Dodece said:

Questions.

1. Which do you consider yourself on the issue progressive or well lets just say conservative?

2. Have you purchased DLC during the past year, and if so how many items and how much was spent?

3. What is your spending threshold. How much for you is too much?

4. Do you calculate value before purchase upto including in depth research, or is it more a whim of the moment?

5. Which have you purchased more of games, expansions, or miscelaneous?

6. Answer honestly do you feel most available DLC content is garbage?

7. Answer honestly do you have the means to purchase DLC both technical and financial?

8. For you what is the most important aspect of DLC in your consideration that persuades or would persuade you to make a purchase.

1: loaded question to a self selected sample. This question is worse than meaningless.

2: I have purchased DLC in the past year. Off the top of my head, I couldn't tell you everything i've purchased, and i wouldn't tell you how much i spent.

3: Too much is a value proposition that depends on how much i like/care about the content. For rock band songs that i like, or from bands i like, individual songs are priced reasonably. For something i dont like (oasis, for example), the time it would take to download it for free is too expensive. For most covers, the songs are priced a little too high. There is no upper limit in general. The market as a whole will not bear a price that is higher than i can afford for a game i want.

4: I don't generally buy anything on a whim.

5: By quantity, and assuming rock band songs are miscellaneous, I would have to go with miscellaneous.

6: Most DLC is garbage. This shouldn't be a surprise. It is exactly the same as any other entertainment product. Most movies and music are garbage too. It is much less expensive to churn out something mediocre and make a quick profit than to spend money and effort to make something good and hope it resonates with your audience.

That's why big budget movies tend to follow certain formulas. It minimizes the risk of investing $150 million dollars in it. It's also why horror movies are easy to get made. They tend to cost less than $30 million and generally double the investment in them over their lifetime.

7: I have both the technical and financial means to buy any DLC i wish to own.

8: The most important aspect of downloadable content is a reasonable expectation that it will be worth the price. For music, this generally means being familiar with the song/album or being familiar with the band and liking their work enough to risk buying untested material from them.

For games, it tends to mean a demo, or seeing it at someone else's house. (sometimes both. I saw  burnout paradise at a friends house and it looked pretty cool. i downloaded the demo and found the game boring. I enjoy watching it being played, but don't enjoy playing it).

1. Moderate

2. Uhh, Orange Box.

3. Totally dependant upon what I feel I get out of it.

4. I dunno about calculating, but I make sure it's worth the money.

5. Only got the Orange Box, so games.

6. Not really. It may be lower quality, but you pay less. Only a few companies are brazen enough to sell garbage, like EA.

7. Yep

8. I don't have to leave the house.

You do not have the right to never be offended.

I dislike DLC, because 90% is stuff that should have been in the game from the outset but the publisher or developer are just trying to make a quick buck.

Manchester United 2008-09 Season - Trophies & Records

Barclays Premier League 2008-09: 1st // UEFA Champions League 2008-09: Finals (Yet To Play) // FIFA Club World Cup: Winners // UEFA Super Cup: Runners-up // FA Cup: Semi-Finals // League (Carling) Cup: Winners // FA (Charity) Community Shield: Winners
Records: First British Team To Win FIFA Club World Cup, New Record for No. Of Consecutive Clean Sheets In Premier League, New English & British League Records for Minutes Without Conceding, New Record For Going Undeafeated In Champions League (25 games ongoing), First British Team To Beat FC Porto In Portugal, First Club To Defeat Arsenal At The Emirates In European Competition, First Team In English League Football History To Win 3 Titles Back To Back On Two Seperate Ocassions

....But what about the times that the developer doesn't get the chance to put said content in game, or realizes that there are consumer-desired extras that weren't in the game?

IE: Crackdown.

Also, Rock_On - DLC shouldn't be free, or else the Xbox 360 would wind up like the PS3 quicker and have vastly inferior content.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Around the Network

^ You have a point MrStickball. Free is inferior quality. Anyway I sent you a post regarding Easy XBox 360 Achievement points. You recommend any games for quick easy points.

Already responded :)

If you follow my game sugguestions, you'll be whoring in no time :)

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

i'm against DLC for the most part. Sure in theory it's a great idea but it becomes a slippery slope before you (the consumer) starts getting nickeled and dimed with things that should have been in the actual game.

^Thanks MrStickball for the message. Yeah I bet there are a lot more games to add on that list. Some of the other games I heard require heaps amount of time and you have to win heaps of matches online to get small reward.

DLC is shit in 90% of cases, its just a way for them to leach more money out of you for something that should have been available in the game to start with.

-UBISOFT BOYCOTT!-