By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Nintendo Switch and the main reasons it will be a flop W.I.P.

gcwy said:
Alkibiádēs said:

The PS4 controller costs $64, so at best Nintendo could shave off $15 from the Switch's price. That would make the console cost $285. A $200 Switch would probably be a lot weaker hardware wise. I'll gladly take more powerful hardware then. 

Do you realise how weak it already is? Nintendo made the mistake of not selling it at a loss. They have much more money than they're willing to spend. Their hubris and greed led to the Wii U's failure, among other things. They're making the same mistake again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RX6XybBZ5YI

1080p and 60fps, looks just fine to me! 

"The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must" - Thoukydides

Around the Network
Dravenet7 said:
arcaneguyver said:
I'm still stupified by this. They're replacing an overpriced console with a different overpriced console, with a lot of the same games. I don't see how this will appeal to those who passed on the WiiU.

This I don't get either. Out of the games announced there are basically 5 games on the Wii U. 3 of which are on basically every platform. In what way is that most games?

Counting all the junk you mean?

Of the games that may actually be console sellers:

* Zelda is a Wii U cross-gen title.
 * Mario Kart is a Wii U remaster.
 * Splatoon 2 will appeal to the same people as Splatoon 1 on Wii U.
 * Xenoblade Chronicles 2 will appeal to the same people as Xenoblade Chronicles on Wii U.
 * Mario Odyssey, maybe more appeal than 3D World... who knows.

I think it does look like more of the same as Wii U.  It will sell to Wii U owners that want a Splatoon sequel, etc. but there isn't much new here that will attract a wider audience than Wii U.

My 8th gen collection

ICStats said:
Dravenet7 said:

This I don't get either. Out of the games announced there are basically 5 games on the Wii U. 3 of which are on basically every platform. In what way is that most games?

* Xenoblade Chronicles 2 will appeal to the same people as Xenoblade Chronicles on Wii U.

I think it does look like more of the same as Wii U.  It will sell to Wii U owners that want a Splatoon sequel, etc. but there isn't much new here that will attract a wider audience than Wii U.

You're grasping with those last 3.  

Splatoon 2 is a sequel to a highly popular Wii U game that can and probably will reach to people who didn't own one.  It didn't just sell the way it did because it was on Wii U.  

Xenoblade 2 is a sequel to the Wii game, not the Wii U one, so what are you even talking about there?  Again, there's no direct connection to the Wii U.

Last one, what?  This one seems like you just added it so it looked like your list would be more complete.  I agree with the first two you put, at least.  Those are games that will hinder the system's ability due to the nature of the game.

edit: I'm not saying these are games that will definitely make the system do well, but they are bad examples of why the Switch will be like the Wii U.

Alkibiádēs said:
gcwy said:

Do you realise how weak it already is? Nintendo made the mistake of not selling it at a loss. They have much more money than they're willing to spend. Their hubris and greed led to the Wii U's failure, among other things. They're making the same mistake again.

I'm talking about the hardware, here. For the record, I think that looks exactly like the Wii U version.

gcwy said:
Alkibiádēs said:

I'm talking about the hardware, here. For the record, I think that looks exactly like the Wii U version.

Wii U is 720p and 30 fps if you play with more than two people. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is 1080p and 60 fps even when playing with four players. That's quite a big difference already. 

And that's incredible for a console that can also be played on the go.

Around the Network

Anyone else concerned the lack of handheld titles announced for the switch may imply a 3ds2* ?

MDMAlliance said:
ICStats said:

You're grasping with those last 3.  

Splatoon 2 is a sequel to a highly popular Wii U game that can and probably will reach to people who didn't own one.  It didn't just sell the way it did because it was on Wii U.  

Xenoblade 2 is a sequel to the Wii game, not the Wii U one, so what are you even talking about there?  Again, there's no direct connection to the Wii U.

Last one, what?  This one seems like you just added it so it looked like your list would be more complete.  I agree with the first two you put, at least.  Those are games that will hinder the system's ability due to the nature of the game.

edit: I'm not saying these are games that will definitely make the system do well, but they are bad examples of why the Switch will be like the Wii U.

Why will Splatoon 2 be much more appealing than Splatoon 1?  People that loved the game will continue to love it.  People that never played it have no reference other than great critical acclaim, but Splatoon already has great critical acclaim.

Should have said Xenoblade Chronicles X on Wii U.

Your edit is a bit self contradictory.  Wii U had 3D World / MK8 / Splatoon / XC2.  Switch doesn't (yet) have a set of games that will grow the appeal over what Wii U had.

My 8th gen collection

betacon said:
Anyone else concerned the lack of handheld titles announced for the switch may imply a 3ds2* ?

Project Octopath Traveler is made by the Bravely Default team and Shin Megami Tensei has also been a franchise that has been mainly on handhelds lately. So no, I'm not worried. Hyrule Warriors was also on the 3DS and we're getting a Fire Emblem Warriors now, so that counts as well I guess. 

Nem said:

http://www.n-europe.com/images/console/Switch/Box_Contents_-_Grey.jpg

Is this the charger you have in mind? Doesn't look USB to me. But if it can connect directly to the pad then it should at least be ok to charge outside.

That is the USB type C I was referring to previously. It is currently used in many phones I believe. The benefit is that it's a nonpropriety charger. 

ICStats said:
Dravenet7 said:

I think the biggest difference is how much earilier these franchises will release on Switch.

Wii U launch-Nov 2012

3D Mario-Nov 2013

Mario Kart-May 2014

Splatoon-May 2015

Xenoblade-Dec 2015

Zelda-March 2017

On the other hand they are all planned for the first 9 months of Switch's life.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.