By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - How many games do you buy at launch of any console?

I don't buy games at launch, but even when I do get a console, I only buy a couple of games with it anyways

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

Around the Network
MTZehvor said:
I really don't understand why people buy consoles at launch unless there's an exclusive launch title you desperately want. You're getting the console at its most expensive and with the greatest chance of future technical problems, and with the smallest lineup of games it will ever have.

So, for the topic...none. I don't buy consoles at launch. It doesn't make much sense to. Though I do agree that the complaints for the Switch lineup are overblown, at least comparing it to past launch lineups.

In the case of the Switch, there's honestly nothing I want to play that desperately at launch, aside from Zelda which will be on Wii U.  But, I know I'm going to want one at somepoint in the near future, before any major price drop.  So it's worth it for me to buy the system when it's new and people are excited to come over and try it (or in this case try it when I bring it over) and generally get caught up in excitement over the thing.  Especially since Nintendo tends to make solid products that don't break very often, and have good customer service when they do.

On topic, I usually by two games for a system if I'm picking it up at launch.  One pick up and playish title to just check it out or play with friends and family, and one more in depth experience. 

For the DS it was Feel the Magic and Mario 64 DS.  Wii was Rayman Raving Rabbids and Twilight Princess.  3DS was Pilotwings Resort and Street Fighter.  Wii U was Zombi U and NSMB Wii.  For the switch, it looks like it will be 12Switch and Zelda.  

If I had the money and was old enough back then, for the PS2 launch I probably would have gotten Dynasty Warriors 2, Tekken Tag Tournament, Ridge Racer V, TimeSplitters, FantaVision, Kessen, DOA2: Hardcore, Street Fighter EX3, Smuggler's Run, Armored Core 2, NHL 2001 and Ready 2 Rumble Boxing: Round 2. That's 12 games right there. However, I was only 2 back then, so that obviously didn't happen. I got a PS4 at launch and got 2 games for it because that's all that I was able to afford.

Usually 2 retail and 1 or 2 digital. PSVR was an exception where I ended up buying 5 retail and 16 digital games in the launch period. I think it's safe to say that won't happen with Switch :p

Bandorr said:
You offer a large amount of games to give people choice. You give out 20 games so any group of people will buy some.

They have very few launch day games. I have zero interest in Zelda. The first game I'm interested is a port with a moderate amount of new content. Coming at the end of April. Almost two months later.

After that? The Mario game at the end of the year.

Exactly.

I think the problem is and has been with Nintendo is that they concern themselves with core and unfortunately for them the core is getting less and less. Wii-u sold rubbish, why people think there is a strong base of people waiting to pick up a new nintendo console when they didnt pick up the wii-u in big numbers. Unless Nintendo start to push lots more 2nd party stuff they will fail again. Trying to sell a bunch of mini games at high cost is not going to push non nintendo people to the console in any great numbers.

Making an indie game : Dead of Day!

Around the Network

Mostly just one or two. I try not to buy stuff due to hype and only go for the really good games. The Wii was the exception: I really wanted Zelda and Wii Sports (which was included with the console of course) and I also bought Wii Play because that included a second Wii remote.

When I buy a system, it has to either be with 2-3 games I *really* want to play, or fewer than that if I'm confident the flow of games will come. (Think I only bought one game at Playstation 2-4 launch, but was confident 1st & 3rd party would get the ball rolling soon.)

As this is a Switch thread, here is the real answer to the OP - people are complaining about the launch lineup because:

#1 The only truly exciting title is Zelda - may as well sell the system with it bundled for $360 - and people were hoping the slow last two years of the WiiU meant a big Switch launch lineup.

#2 The next game of interest for many of us, Mario Odyssey, doesn't drop for 8ish months. The rest of the year is filled with ports of already available games or 1st party IPs that weren't interesting enough to sell us on the last system.

#3 You may only buy one game at launch, but it's nice to have some sort of variety. Like I said earlier, they may as well cut to the chase, raise the price and make Zelda a pack-in.

#4 I imagine some are thinking of just getting Zelda for WiiU and waiting until perhaps Mario Odyssey to get a Switch - a fuller launch / first year lineup would have avoided that situation.

2-3 but people like to have choices. From 20 offers, i like 2-3.

If nintendo just offers 4, its very likely that i just like 0-1

About three.

I have buy D1 : Ps2 & Ps4

Under 6 month : Ps1, 3DS. Saturn, Dreamcast

Under 1 years : Ps3, Psvita, all early nintendo portable

After 1 years : WiiU, Games cube, Wii

After 2 years : Snes, nes, master system, megadrive (only because i was young and no money at this time)

So at end this depend what i look for them