By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Can we agree Nintendo should go third party, now?

Tagged games:

So?

Shaddup, you Pony! 676 36.13%

Switch > PC/PS4/XBO 376 20.10%

I can buy them all, anyway 99 5.29%

Nintendon't need more 29 1.55%

Keep only doing handhelds 81 4.33%

Maybe one more gen... 78 4.17%

Sounds good! 277 14.80%

I have always wanted it... 90 4.81%

Don't care about Nintendo 125 6.68%

Sonic > Mario 40 2.14%

Total:1,871
GProgrammer said:
Zelda at 60fps?
Meh who cares about 60fps

Why would you think Zelda would automatically have 60fps on other consoles?

Around the Network
sundin13 said:
Superman4 said:

Really? How so? 

Innovation isn't just about doing something first. It is largely about bringing it to a mass market and tapping into the potential of the idea. Nintendo seems to be the only console maker who is willing to put 100% into an idea. Including a Wii Remote or a Wii U Gamepad or even the 3D screen with the 3DS with every console establishes a userbase more than a peripheral device which allows developers to use the technology without destroying the player base.

This sets up a platform which encourages innovation and encourages different gameplay experiences and different ways of creating games. While 3rd parties don't always tap into this potential (although there are certainly examples of them doing so such as Red Steel 2), the uniqueness of the consoles allows Nintendo to flex its creative muscles in a way which wouldn't be possible on other consoles. 

I think it is very fair to say that in terms of input devices, Nintendo is the only console maker willing to take risks and innovate. 

BOLDED: if we go with that premise wouldn't the other companies be innovating but failing while Nintendo would be "successfully" innovating? Sorry but in my mind innovating is bringing something new to market, not being successful / more successful using someone elses ideas

Nope. I like my switch.

Ask stefl1504 for a sig, even if you don't need one.

I think Microsoft should consider Switch support actually.

I'd be down for some Killer Instinct and Halo on Switch on top of Minecraft.

zorg1000 said:
Superman4 said:

Nintendo is missing out on over 100 million sales by not releasing its games on other consoles.

Microsoft is missing out on over 100 million sales by not releasing their games on PS4, Vita, 3DS, Wii U & Switch.

Sony is missing out on over 100 million sales by not releasing their games on XBO, PC, 3DS, Wii U & Switch.

Why does this argument keep coming up for Nintendo but ignored for Sony/Microsoft when historically Nintendo has been far more profitable as a hardware provider?

What I'm going to say is a blanket statement with zero facts to back it up but from what I see, there's three big groups that want Nintendo to go 3rd party; console fanboys that treat their console of choice like a sports team, money strapped people that can only afford one console per gen and PC enthusiasts who always want to play games at the highest quality possible. 

Console fanboys are going to console fanboy so I don't think they need much explaination.  With money-strapped people, they already made their choice this gen and can't afford to buy another console to play Nintendo games and other exclusives on; they'd bitch about Sony or Microsoft but the two consoles are basically twins so it would be like being envious about the clothes your reflection in the mirror is wearing.  As for the PC gamers, their dream would be if all games were multiplat and not only available for PC but prioritized for PC -- and sold for 10 bucks on a steam sale a couple of weeks after release.

Around the Network
KLXVER said:
GProgrammer said:
Zelda at 60fps?
Meh who cares about 60fps

Being a Graphics Engine programmer of many years, I can say for certain it would. I think we will see it emulated on PCs at 60fps this year, and emulation is far slower than compiled native

GProgrammer said:
KLXVER said:

Being a Graphics Engine programmer of many years, I can say for certain it would. I think we will see it emulated on PCs at 60fps this year, and emulation is far slower than compiled native

Well if they made Zelda for the other consoles, it probably wouldnt be exactly what BOTW is since the PS4 and XB1 have much stronger hardware.

They should turn handheld only and milk their pokemon franchises on ios/android.

If their pricing on hardware wasn't So Apple like, I wouldn't want them to go third party. Everything from the console, down to the grip charger, Nintendo pushes the envelope when it comes to drawing blood from a stone.

I'd rather Nintendo go 3rd party because of this. I grew up with Nintendo making great games without gimmicks and extorting customers on accessories and since they can no longer do this and I'm not willing to pay the price for their hardware.

However, someone raised a very good question here whether Nintendo is capable of making games on other platforms with higher performance. Yes, I know they can, but will they be able to compete with Other AAA studios and their graphic output.

Anyone in the future making these type of threads should be banned and the post should get locked.