By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - So Emily Rogers and Eurogamer were creating fake news and fake rumors?

Hiku said:
Nautilus said:
Yeah.It just go to shows that we should NEVER take rumours at face value, not matter their track record.

Because a guy named Lucas-Rio mashed together a bunch of rumors, with no links, no distinction of which came from Emily and which came from Eurogamer, and his definition of Pokemon Stars not being a thing is it not being shown at the launch event? We know Pikmin 4 is "near completion" and it wasn't even mentioned at the event.

This topic is very misleading, and I couldn't disagree more that track recods don't matter when it comes to credibility.

I meant more in the sense that they could be wrong.Kate, Emily and Eurogamer got things right, but they also got many things wrong.The most recent example was about Beyong Good and Evil 2 showing in this presentation, the back and forth about Zelda being or not relleased on launch, the price of the switch, etc.

Im not saying to disregard them completely, but there are some people here that take their claims as they were an official nintendo statement.And thats simply wrong.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Around the Network
Hiku said:
Nautilus said:

I meant more in the sense that they could be wrong.Kate, Emily and Eurogamer got things right, but they also got many things wrong.The most recent example was about Beyong Good and Evil 2 showing in this presentation, the back and forth about Zelda being or not relleased on launch, the price of the switch, etc.

Im not saying to disregard them completely, but there are some people here that take their claims as they were an official nintendo statement.And thats simply wrong.

Sorry, that was actually me misreading your comment. There was nothing wrong with with that portion of it. You said not to take it for face value. And that is true. I thought I read you saying that credibility doesn't matter in general when it comes to unverified reports. My mistake.

However, I'd still like links to these claims. Do you have a link to Eurogamer suggesting it would be shown in Jan 13?
Emily at least ended on Zelda being a launch title. Back and forth doesn't neccesarily mean the source is misinformed. Nintendo could change their plans as well. I believe the delay news was based on the estimated time it would take to bugtest Zelda. So it wasnt that she was told that it would get a late release date.
But when she got a releasedate, she said it would be at launch.

The Beyond rumour I think dosent exist, I was a bit caught up with the rest of people saying that.But there were many that she was wrong, like those others like I said and the Rabbids RPG game being on launch lineup(It could still be announced, but thats unlikely).The problem with the reasoning that things could have changed inside Nintendo is that it is the perfect excuse for everything.I mean, that could very well be true, but that could also be an excuse to use when she simply was fed wrong information.And thats dangerous.i mean, thats her job and she teoretically shouldnt get those things wrong and should be critisiyed for it, like any other jobs.

And I mean, part of the fault that many users here left unsatisfied with the presentation was because of them.They expected a 249 console and got a 299.Some expected Mario at launch and it is actually a holiday title.Some expected VC  but it wasnt mentioned at all.That in turn can hurt the company whose product belongs to.Thats why Im not always that fond of these type of rumours.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

I've said a million times that Emily Rogers is full of shit. she takes popular rumors that have already been somewhat substantiated by some communities and then announces them as if she has some secret contact.

She got it right on a few very obvious things early (like Paper Mario Wii U) and then magically people believed she had a real insider information leak.

Bear in mind: anyone with mega classified info will sign a very serious non disclosure agreement and will not be funneling strong consistently solid information to random chicks on Twitter

cycycychris said:
We'll see what happens, they backed off on a lot of there rumors the closer we got to launch. But at the same time, they still have time to be right on some of the games. Though I think the beyond good and evil is not going to be Switch Exclusive. Or even time exclusive.

just being real here- where on Earth do you think someone random like Emily Rogers, or even Eurogamer, would magically be getting this genuine information?

leaks DO happen from time to time, but with the amount of predictions they make its very clearly just throwing shit at the wall and hoping something hits. Its not like a group of insiders working at a third party studio OR Nintendo are going to risk it and constantly funnel info to these people.

You guys need to stop essentially taking tabloid reporters that seriously.

They are worse than CNN.

Around the Network

I've noticed the most legit "leakers" are usually the ones that stick to the shadows, and never actually post the information themselves, take for example when the box art for Titanfall, and lots of details including the grappling hook, that was told to a mod of the Titanfall subreddit weeks before he posted it, and it was legit pre-release details including physical proof, which all turned out to be true.

Yet these attention whores basically just half ass their announcements and keep watch over other rumours then make quick adjustments to their announced rumours if it looks more or less likely that what they said will be sort of true.

Once you fall for the trap of making up scenarios of how they could just be "mistaken" you end up a shill for a liar.

Those weren't the only rumors, and there are many that turned out to be correct and others that can still be revealed at later events. So far, the only stuff that has been definitely wrong has been the timing of titles. I'd advice looking over all the rumors from those three sources. This thread is making me wish I wrote up that post summarizing all the rumors, including last minute changes such as one of the rumored ports turning out to be a sequel (Splatoon 2)

NATO said:
jason1637 said:

Not all. She got many things right like hybrid, Voice acting, etc.

Broken clocks right twice a day.

Emily Rogers correctly reported the following over a month before the Switch was even revealed:

It would be region free

Nvidia chip would be custom

6.2 inch capacitive touchscreen at 720p 

32 gigs of internal storage

Right analog stick below face buttons

Crappy battery life

Unreal 4 support

That's not being right twice a day. That's just being right.

She also correctly stated that Mario Kart 8 would have a revamped battle mode, new characters, and courses 

https://arcadegirl64.wordpress.com/2016/09/02/rumor-what-should-we-expect-from-the-final-nx-product/#more-10516

Laura Kate Dale, meanwhile, was correct about:

Micro SD card under the kickstand 

Advanced force feedback

Motion control

IR sensor on the bottom of the controller

The existence of a share button.

http://letsplayvideogames.com/2016/08/report-detatchable-nx-controllers-support-motion-control-and-force-feedback/

http://letsplayvideogames.com/2016/12/switch-patents-seemingly-confirm-a-bunch-of-our-reports/

She also corrected herself regarding Splatoon being an enhanced port a few days before the event, and said that she felt Mario was likely being delayed due to Zelda hitting its launch.

This isn't a full work up of all the rumors she got all or partially right, or the rumors that still have plenty of time to be right between now and E3.

They weren't really correct about launch titles, but let's not act like they got nothing right. They got a LOT right. You can argue some of it is obvious and easy to "guess", but this details were way too detailed and consistently correct to have all just been educated guesses. They were not.

And as for Eurogamer, well...they correctly leaked the entire Switch concept back in July. I would say they also have a pretty solid track record here. 

jason1637 said:
StarOcean said:
Told you all that she was full of shit. No one believed me

Not all. She got many things right like hybrid, Voice acting, etc.

She stole those from 4Chan rumors

nuckles87 said:
NATO said:

Broken clocks right twice a day.

Emily Rogers correctly reported the following over a month before the Switch was even revealed:

http://letsplayvideogames.com/2016/08/report-detatchable-nx-controllers-support-motion-control-and-force-feedback/

http://letsplayvideogames.com/2016/12/switch-patents-seemingly-confirm-a-bunch-of-our-reports/

She also corrected herself regarding Splatoon being an enhanced port a few days before the event, and said that she felt Mario was likely being delayed due to Zelda hitting its launch.

This isn't a full work up of all the rumors she got all or partially right, or the rumors that still have plenty of time to be right between now and E3.

They weren't really correct about launch titles, but let's not act like they got nothing right. They got a LOT right. You can argue some of it is obvious and easy to "guess", but this details were way too detailed and consistently correct to have all just been educated guesses. They were not.

And as for Eurogamer, well...they correctly leaked the entire Switch concept back in July. I would say they also have a pretty solid track record here. 

It would be region free

Nvidia chip would be custom

6.2 inch capacitive touchscreen at 720p 

32 gigs of internal storage

Right analog stick below face buttons

Crappy battery life

Unreal 4 support

She also correctly stated that Mario Kart 8 would have a revamped battle mode, new characters, and courses 

https://arcadegirl64.wordpress.com/2016/09/02/rumor-what-should-we-expect-from-the-final-nx-product/#more-10516

Laura Kate Dale, meanwhile, was correct about:

Micro SD card under the kickstand 

Advanced force feedback

Motion control

IR sensor on the bottom of the controller

The existence of a share button.

I struck through all of the stuff that could be easily guessed.  Things like crappy battery life, which would be obvious or that Nintendo would be using a custom chip as they've done for pretty much every system.  

Laura at least got some things right that were specific enough to be impressive.