By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo stock down 6% following Switch presentation

In other news the sky is blue.

Seriously this happens constantly and many times means nothing.

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:
Does this actually mean anything though? I mean it seems to me that stock prices always go down after announcements/presentations like these, so is it even unusual?

We have a winner!

Buy the rumour, sell the fact. Apple shares go down after a new iPhone is announced, Samsung shares go down after a new Galaxy Phone is announced and Sony shares go down when a new PlayStation is announced. Please don't talk about stocks around here. It's a whole different world that doesn't always have too much in common with the real world. 

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

OdinHades said:
Ka-pi96 said:
Does this actually mean anything though? I mean it seems to me that stock prices always go down after announcements/presentations like these, so is it even unusual?

We have a winner!

Buy the rumour, sell the fact. Apple shares go down after a new iPhone is announced, Samsung shares go down after a new Galaxy Phone is announced and Sony shares go down when a new PlayStation is announced. Please don't talk about stocks around here. It's a whole different world that doesn't always have too much in common with the real world. 

The expectations are high - but didn't Nintendo stocks go up after the Wii reveal.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

forest-spirit said:
Investors hated it because Nintendo didn't scrap the Switch in favour of a 100% investment in mobile.

This, exactly.  Nintendo "investors" throw tantrums at anything that isn't them going full mobile.  They can pound sand.

Buy the rumor, sell the news.
Come on, it started dropping before the event started.

I WON A BET AGAINST AZUREN! WOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

:3

Around the Network

The price actually got me to wonder why is the Wii U still $299.99 after all this time? Nintendo - all of the bad aspects of Apple with few of their strengths.

totalwar23 said:

The price actually got me to wonder why is the Wii U still $299.99 after all this time? Nintendo - all of the bad aspects of Apple with few of their strengths.

That damn, overpriced, overengineered Gamepad. Nintendo needs to stop making so many useless technologies in their controllers. And they can't even do those tech bits right. They don't have a record video option available day 1....Nintendo...please get with the times. 

Ka-pi96 said:

E-relevant, but can I ask what Anime is on your avatar?

Currently Playing: N/A

Anime and Studying is life RN

This article's opinion is pretty much how I feel about the Switch: http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2017/01/13/why-im-worried-the-nintendo-switch-is-just-another-wii-u/#6a1692ef51f0

My 8th gen collection

mutantsushi said:

$299 for the specs on offer AND paid on-line multiplayer... OUCH.
Seriously, this hits them on both casuals AND "2nd console" types.

I mean, imagine every mom buying a console for kid, who doesn't care about performance herself,
now there is zero price difference up-front and ongoing to PS4/Xbone which have bigger brands
Nintendo is expecting the same dedication (paid online) as consoles offering full spectrum gaming.
They've lost it, they ignored the fact they are not Sony/MS, and yet think they can act the same way.
They can't use modern 14nm fab for at least tablet-competitive performance, yet still can't manage a cheap price for it all.
After this, they are going 3rd party, that's it...

It's worse than that. $249 is a common price now for PS4/X1, and those usually come with a game and a real controller. By holidays 2017 it will likely be going up against $199 bundles from Sony and MS, along with PS4 Pro at $299. Ehhhh. That's a problem.

If it was focused as a handheld 3DS successor, that'd be one thing, but $299 for a 3DS successor wouldn't cut it. But that's essentially what this is, a mobile product with mobile performance that can't compete against home consoles, but commands home console pricing (or more). It's madness, and it makes me think they've lost their minds and have stopped listening to the general gaming public. It's like these decisions are made in some 'yes-man' echo chamber without reality checking them.