By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Extra Dock $89.99!!!!! Switch Pro controller $69.99, Joycon set $79.99. Updated 2x!

irstupid said:
Teeqoz said:

In my original post in this thread, I already acknowledged the fact that accessories are overpriced in general, but this seems even more overpriced than what is the norm in the console industry.

For the cock, yes i woudl think so. But who knows what it all entitles and the R&D of it. But the dock is a definition of a huge optional thing. No one needs more thna one dock.

Now yes, if I were Nintendo I would have priced it insanely low. Maybe even at cost. Why? Because I think the idea of having a dock at every TV in teh house would make one use the system and make its uniqueness stick out even more. I mean imagine playing your handheld and tehn just in any room of your house popping it in and instandly playing. Huge turn on. At $90 a pop, yea I'm going to just stick to one dock. Thus stuck to my one tv, and mobile. Or else have to move console(dock)

But as for controller prices, I don't see it overpriced really. Well beyond accessories in genreal. I feel teh controller cost more than the ds4 and xbox, and thus the slight $5-10 more is reasonable.

Oh my...

Around the Network
KLXVER said:
irstupid said:

For the cock, yes i woudl think so. But who knows what it all entitles and the R&D of it. But the dock is a definition of a huge optional thing. No one needs more thna one cock.

Now yes, if I were Nintendo I would have priced it insanely low. Maybe even at cost. Why? Because I think the idea of having a cock at every TV in the house would make one use the system and make its uniqueness stick out even more. I mean imagine playing your handheld and tehn just in any room of your house popping it in and instandly playing. Huge turn on. At $90 a pop, yea I'm going to just stick to one dock. Thus stuck to my one tv, and mobile. Or else have to move console(dock)

But as for controller prices, I don't see it overpriced really. Well beyond accessories in genreal. I feel teh controller cost more than the ds4 and xbox, and thus the slight $5-10 more is reasonable.

Oh my...

Ha, replace cock in some of the other sentences.

irstupid said:
KLXVER said:

Oh my...

Ha, replace cock in some of the other sentences.

HA! Good stuff.

potato_hamster said:
TomaTito said:

That's no dock but a usb-c hdmi adapter, no power is transmited.

It's almost as if I covered that in my original post, but allow me to expand on that.  I haven't exactly torn apart a dock yet, but I don't think adding the power adapter, and a simple power managment solution to transform the incoming voltage into whatver the USB-C uses , and powering the USB-C connector is an expensive endeavour. Based on my experience working on my own little projects, this actually quite cheap. You're talking less than $5 in off-the shelf components at retail cost, and Nintendo would be paying far less than that.

"Of course, as expected and despite the USB port that is usually universal, "USB Type C allows you to recharge the console when it is in tablet mode, but for everything concerning video, you Are forced to go through the dock for display through the TV ". Mr Koizumi quickly put an end to the expectations of people who wanted to use cables that were less cumbersome and cheaper than the (very) expensive dock."

http://www.melty.fr/switch-audio-video-le-dock-obligatoire-le-jack-utilisable-en-toute-circonstance-et-les-casques-bluetooth-exclu-a590536.html

See, it's not overpriced. Encryption isnt cheap.

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

David_Hernandeez said:
*cof cof* Does anyone have a link to preorder the console on USA?

Must be very expensive over there :(  Amazon is your best bet. 

“Simple minds have always confused great honesty with great rudeness.” - Sherlock Holmes, Elementary (2013).

"Did you guys expected some actual rational fact-based reasoning? ...you should already know I'm all about BS and fraudulence." - FunFan, VGchartz (2016)

Around the Network
Pyro as Bill said:
potato_hamster said:

It's almost as if I covered that in my original post, but allow me to expand on that.  I haven't exactly torn apart a dock yet, but I don't think adding the power adapter, and a simple power managment solution to transform the incoming voltage into whatver the USB-C uses , and powering the USB-C connector is an expensive endeavour. Based on my experience working on my own little projects, this actually quite cheap. You're talking less than $5 in off-the shelf components at retail cost, and Nintendo would be paying far less than that.

"Of course, as expected and despite the USB port that is usually universal, "USB Type C allows you to recharge the console when it is in tablet mode, but for everything concerning video, you Are forced to go through the dock for display through the TV ". Mr Koizumi quickly put an end to the expectations of people who wanted to use cables that were less cumbersome and cheaper than the (very) expensive dock."

http://www.melty.fr/switch-audio-video-le-dock-obligatoire-le-jack-utilisable-en-toute-circonstance-et-les-casques-bluetooth-exclu-a590536.html

See, it's not overpriced. Encryption isnt cheap.

On what grounds do you believe the conversion of this USB-C to HDMI signal is any bit more complicated for Nintendo unless they intentionally obfuscated the video output to make it proprietary and force its userbase to buy their overpriced docks. They're doing a similar thing to what apple does with it's "Apple certified" USB cables that arbitrarily lock out any cable where the company hasn't paid Apple a licensing fee.

It's anti-consumer, nickel and diming bullshit, and if anything makes Nintendo appear worse, not better. Yet, somehow this makes it justified in your eyes?

The prices make perfect sense to me. The rest of the world ha been subsidising American prices for too long. Now you can pay what we been paying for 20 years lol

I mean.. The dock is expensive but.. why would I ever need an extra dock in the first place? I'm more concerned about the $80 joycons (without the grip) and $70 pro controller as I likely WILL need extra controllers as some point. I'll proably just get one pro controller with my console and call it a day. At least the joycons can be used as separate controllers so for an extra $70 I'll essentially have 3 controllers right off the bat.. That pro controller does look pretty sweet at least.

"We hold these truths to be self-evident - all men and women created by the, go-you know.. you know the thing!" - Joe Biden

potato_hamster said:

On what grounds do you believe the conversion of this USB-C to HDMI signal is any bit more complicated for Nintendo unless they intentionally obfuscated the video output to make it proprietary and force its userbase to buy their overpriced docks. They're doing a similar thing to what apple does with it's "Apple certified" USB cables that arbitrarily lock out any cable where the company hasn't paid Apple a licensing fee.

It's anti-consumer, nickel and diming bullshit, and if anything makes Nintendo appear worse, not better. Yet, somehow this makes it justified in your eyes?

No, it's pro-consumer. If you think the dock is worth $90, buy. If you think it isn't, sell. Simple.

If at some point you decided to sell your dock, would you rather they cost $20 or $90 new?

Cheap 3rd party knockoffs are unreliable anyway and there's no way they'd have Nintendo's build quality/testing. It would only spoil your experience in the long run.

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

I just looked up the prices in Canada, shouldn't have. The dock is not listed yet, Pro controller CAD 90 (DS4 is 75), Joy-con set CAD 100 (CAD 65 separate), charging grip CAD 40, AC adapter CAD 40. So basically a second convertable controller costs you CAD 140 or two pro controllers CAD 180.

I bought my DS4 controllers when they were still CAD 50. Accessory prices have gone to hell. It's Best buy too, Walmart sells DS4 for 60, Newegg 55.