By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Extra Dock $89.99!!!!! Switch Pro controller $69.99, Joycon set $79.99. Updated 2x!

Pyro as Bill said:
potato_hamster said:

On what grounds do you believe the conversion of this USB-C to HDMI signal is any bit more complicated for Nintendo unless they intentionally obfuscated the video output to make it proprietary and force its userbase to buy their overpriced docks. They're doing a similar thing to what apple does with it's "Apple certified" USB cables that arbitrarily lock out any cable where the company hasn't paid Apple a licensing fee.

It's anti-consumer, nickel and diming bullshit, and if anything makes Nintendo appear worse, not better. Yet, somehow this makes it justified in your eyes?

No, it's pro-consumer. If you think the dock is worth $90, buy. If you think it isn't, sell. Simple.

If at some point you decided to sell your dock, would you rather they cost $20 or $90 new?

Cheap 3rd party knockoffs are unreliable anyway and there's no way they'd have Nintendo's build quality/testing. It would only spoil your experience in the long run.

It's pro-consumer to lock out every dock but your own? Okay buddy. There;'s no reason why they can't do what Sony and Microsoft do and certify third party accessories, which results in cheaper accessories even if they're not made by Sony.  Even Apple does the same thing with cables, adapters and cases. Who said anything about "cheap 3rd party knockoffs" if they had the "Nintendo seal of quality" on them?

For example, that $26 Sony Dock? There's an Sony-certified Amazonbasics version for $15. Hori and PDP also make a variety of Sony-certified and Microsoft-certified accessories. In fact, I have a pdp Sony-certifed PS4 media remote, and it's just as well made, if not better made than the official Sony PS3 media remote I have. So why can't Nintendo offer that compromise and allow more affordable options to be made if they don't want to make them.

Around the Network
potato_hamster said:

It's pro-consumer to lock out every dock but your own? Okay buddy. There;'s no reason why they can't do what Sony and Microsoft do and certify third party accessories, which results in cheaper accessories even if they're not made by Sony.  Even Apple does the same thing with cables, adapters and cases. Who said anything about "cheap 3rd party knockoffs" if they had the "Nintendo seal of quality" on them?

For example, that $26 Sony Dock? There's an Sony-certified Amazonbasics version for $15. Hori and PDP also make a variety of Sony-certified and Microsoft-certified accessories. In fact, I have a pdp Sony-certifed PS4 media remote, and it's just as well made, if not better made than the official Sony PS3 media remote I have. So why can't Nintendo offer that compromise and allow more affordable options to be made if they don't want to make them.

PS4 dock is just plastic and remotes are ten a penny. The Switch dock is too important to leave to 3rd parties. I'm sure in time they'll be licensed and hopefully something more portable will appear.

The dock doesn't sound like it should cost as much as it does (power/HDMI) but pro-alternatives aren't much cheaper and they still get video quality complaints. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Anker-Delivery-Charging-Specification-ChromeBook/dp/B018XF4KRC?tag=skim1x143738-21

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

FunFan said:
David_Hernandeez said:
*cof cof* Does anyone have a link to preorder the console on USA?

Must be very expensive over there :(  Amazon is your best bet. 

Sold out :(, anyone know where I can buy it?

David_Hernandeez said:
FunFan said:

Must be very expensive over there :(  Amazon is your best bet. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nintendo-Switch-Console-with-Zelda-Breath-of-the-Wild-/222406173202?hash=item33c870e212:g:eGMAAOSwCU1YnwIL

Looks like a buy-it-now for $350 with about $12 shipping.  Comes with BotW so not a bad deal really.

Pyro as Bill said:
potato_hamster said:

PS4 dock is just plastic and remotes are ten a penny. The Switch dock is too important to leave to 3rd parties. I'm sure in time they'll be licensed and hopefully something more portable will appear.

The dock doesn't sound like it should cost as much as it does (power/HDMI) but pro-alternatives aren't much cheaper and they still get video quality complaints. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Anker-Delivery-Charging-Specification-ChromeBook/dp/B018XF4KRC?tag=skim1x143738-21

This is one of the most biased, non-sensical responses I've ever seen. What's so special about a dock, exactly? Seriously. From a technical point of view, explain what's so critical about a dock that Nintendo can only trust itself to do it right.

Besides, If it was that critical, why even put a USB-C port on it? Just make a USB-C to proprietary port adapter that allows for chargin on the go, similar to the 40 adapters Apple makes because they keep tearing ports off of their laptops.

Around the Network
The_Yoda said:
David_Hernandeez said:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nintendo-Switch-Console-with-Zelda-Breath-of-the-Wild-/222406173202?hash=item33c870e212:g:eGMAAOSwCU1YnwIL

Looks like a buy-it-now for $350 with about $12 shipping.  Comes with BotW so not a bad deal really.

LOL Sold T_T damn it, it was so perfect!

David_Hernandeez said:
The_Yoda said:

LOL Sold T_T damn it, it was so perfect!

Bummer, that was the best deal I saw on Ebay.

potato_hamster said:

This is one of the most biased, non-sensical responses I've ever seen. What's so special about a dock, exactly? Seriously. From a technical point of view, explain what's so critical about a dock that Nintendo can only trust itself to do it right.

Besides, If it was that critical, why even put a USB-C port on it? Just make a USB-C to proprietary port adapter that allows for chargin on the go, similar to the 40 adapters Apple makes because they keep tearing ports off of their laptops.

Low quality power cable/plug could fry Switch/screw the battery. Low quality video connectors will mess up the display. Remote controls and a plastic stand aren't going to do that. Switch is going to be in and out of that dock all the time. Samsung and Apple both do it and Nintendo is supposed to be competing with smartphones these days so it makes sense.

I'm sure Nintendo has their reasons but even if it's to give themselves room for a price cut later, I don't care.

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

Pyro as Bill said:
potato_hamster said:

Low quality power cable/plug could fry Switch/screw the battery. Low quality video connectors will mess up the display. Remote controls and a plastic stand aren't going to do that. Switch is going to be in and out of that dock all the time. Samsung and Apple both do it and Nintendo is supposed to be competing with smartphones these days so it makes sense.

I'm sure Nintendo has their reasons but even if it's to give themselves room for a price cut later, I don't care.

Plainly, you don't know what you're talking about.

There are standards to prevent such nonsense from happening. In order for an electronic device to be sold, it has to pass international standards to ensure it doesn't do exactly what you think could happen. In the US, that organization is called the Federal Commucations Commission (FCC) that ensures that products meet the standards set out by organizations like IEEE. You can't just make whatever product you like, claim it meets these standards, and release it into the world to fuck over whoever bought it. It doesn't work that way. For example here's an article on the Switch's pro controller passing certification. http://www.ubergizmo.com/2017/01/nintendo-switch-pro-controller-fcc/

Low quality video cables cannot mess up a display. That's impossible. All they do is carry a signal, and with HDMI, since it is a digital signal, you either get a perfect image or you don't get any image so long as the cable is within a certain length. That's why a  6' $5 HDMI cable is just as effective as a 6' $100 HDMI cable so long as they meet the same HDMI specification, and again, if the're FCC certified (and they are), they have to meet the spec specified on the cable.

This is anti-consumer nickel-and-diming horse shit. This would be the same as if Sony required all PS4 use special Sony-branded PS4 HDMI cables that inconveniently cost $100, and locked out all other HDMI cables. Even if it came with one in the box, people would be justifiably outraged and you know it.

potato_hamster said:
Pyro as Bill said:

Plainly, you don't know what you're talking about.

There are standards to prevent such nonsense from happening. In order for an electronic device to be sold, it has to pass international standards to ensure it doesn't do exactly what you think could happen. In the US, that organization is called the Federal Commucations Commission (FCC) that ensures that products meet the standards set out by organizations like IEEE. You can't just make whatever product you like, claim it meets these standards, and release it into the world to fuck over whoever bought it. It doesn't work that way. For example here's an article on the Switch's pro controller passing certification. http://www.ubergizmo.com/2017/01/nintendo-switch-pro-controller-fcc/

Low quality video cables cannot mess up a display. That's impossible. All they do is carry a signal, and with HDMI, since it is a digital signal, you either get a perfect image or you don't get any image so long as the cable is within a certain length. That's why a  6' $5 HDMI cable is just as effective as a 6' $100 HDMI cable so long as they meet the same HDMI specification, and again, if the're FCC certified (and they are), they have to meet the spec specified on the cable.

This is anti-consumer nickel-and-diming horse shit. This would be the same as if Sony required all PS4 use special Sony-branded PS4 HDMI cables that inconveniently cost $100, and locked out all other HDMI cables. Even if it came with one in the box, people would be justifiably outraged and you know it.

Did you not pay attention when the whole cheap usb-c's cords were frying peoples electronics?