By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - December 2016 NPD Thread! The Last Guardian and Dead Rising 4 sales up!

Pokemon is at 4.5 million in USA along with Japan around 3.5 million at the end of the year so 8 million with just those two countries. When you add in the rest of the world, sales are probably close to 12 million give or take at the end of the year.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network

Lol, and some were suggesting that if not for the PS4pro the XB1 would have outsold the PS4.

These numbers show that the PS4 outsold the XB1s even without the PS4pro. 

Intrinsic said:

Lol, and some were suggesting that if not for the PS4pro the XB1 would have outsold the PS4.

Im not saying it would but its very possible if there was no Pro XB1 would have been #1 mostly because PS4 users were upgrading to Pro but since we dont have a percentage of upgrades this isnt for sure.

zorg1000 said:
Pokemon is at 4.5 million in USA along with Japan around 3.5 million at the end of the year so 8 million with just those two countries. When you add in the rest of the world, sales are probably close to 12 million give or take at the end of the year.

Just updated the thread http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=223694&page=1

Its easily going to be at 12mil sold through, maybe somewhere around 12.5mil? Thatll be over 14mil shipped for the year

Boutros said:
Slarvax said:

*puts white knight hat* to be fair, not only is Pokemon $20 cheaper, but for whatever reason NPD divides the Sun & Moon SKUs.

It's still quite impressive for FFXV. It's above Doom!

Yeah that's true but Pokémon did 4.5m (with digital sales though) in 2016 so even if you remove digital sales (let's say it puts it at 4m) and divide by two so you have both SKUs separated (2m each) it still amounts to a lot even if it costs 33% less. Also FFXV was discounted a couple of weeks after release at most big retailers so it essentially had the same price as Pokémon for a while.

I mean of course Pokémon did incredible but I think it's more that FFXV way overperformed.

For sure. It's pretty funny how both Pokemon and FF are breaking their own records in the same year. Pokemon with it's biggest year ever, and FF with its most important release since VII?

Bet with bluedawgs: I say Switch will outsell PS4 in 2018, he says PS4 will outsell Switch. He's now permabanned, but the bet will remain in my sig.

NNID: Slarvax - Steam: Slarvax - Friend Code:  SW 7885-0552-5988

Around the Network

Also I have to say it because we talked about it so much (well I did at least) but that's why Japanese sales didn't matter that much for FFXV. Of course lost sales are still lost but if it sees gain everywhere else than it's a success. The marketing campaign was overwhelmingly concentrated towards the west (especially compared to previous iterations) and now we see the effects.

jason1637 said:
Intrinsic said:

Im not saying it would but its very possible if there was no Pro XB1 would have been #1 mostly because PS4 users were upgrading to Pro but since we dont have a percentage of upgrades this isnt for sure.

The other thing to consider, however, is how Sony would've approached the holiday season without the Pro. In a parallel world where the Pro doesn't exist, Sony wouldn't have spent money on the R&D, manufacturing, and shipment. Perhaps that money could've been used on advertising. Maybe Sony would have offered another bundle alongside the UC4 bundle. There's too much nuance to just say, "20% of Pro buyers were upgrading from the PS4, so the amount of new PS4 customers is the total minus the 20% of the Pro sales".

Boutros said:
Also I have to say it because we talked about it so much but that's why Japanese sales didn't matter that much for FFXV. Of course lost sales are still lost but if it sees gain everywhere else than it's a success. The marketing campaign was overwhelmingly concentrated towards the west (especially compared to previous iterations) and now we see the effects.

Yes FFXV did extremely well especially in the US. Even with a dec release game did better than even the most optimistic predictions.

It did have a rather harsh decline in japan which if otherwise made the franchise go higher (sales). It reminds me of pokemon SuMo. Japan it (franchise) declined ywt in the west is breaking records lol

Slarvax said:
Boutros said:

Yeah that's true but Pokémon did 4.5m (with digital sales though) in 2016 so even if you remove digital sales (let's say it puts it at 4m) and divide by two so you have both SKUs separated (2m each) it still amounts to a lot even if it costs 33% less. Also FFXV was discounted a couple of weeks after release at most big retailers so it essentially had the same price as Pokémon for a while.

I mean of course Pokémon did incredible but I think it's more that FFXV way overperformed.

For sure. It's pretty funny how both Pokemon and FF are breaking their own records in the same year. Pokemon with it's biggest year ever, and FF with its most important release since VII?

Yeah and FFXV should hold that title until Lightning Collection: Runway Edition comes out next year.

jason1637 said:
Intrinsic said:

Your point even makes this better for PS4. If PS4 users were upgrading to pro then it means a lot of used OG PS4's were entering the market meaning that a lot o people bought used PS4s instead of buying the PS4s.

Further more, without a Pro its very likely sony would have done a lot more than push just one bundle or the entire holiday season. The COD bundle din't come till around the 26th of december. 

And something to consider about used PS4 and XB1. The PS4s is by all accounts regarded to be "inferior" to the ogPS4. It lacks an optical port. Hence why it costs more than the PS4s. And all PS4s support HDR so there is no benefit to be had buying th PS4s over the ogPS4 besides price. For the XB1, the XB1s is in every imaginable way better than the ogXB1.The OG XB1 doesn't even support HDR. Which is why the og XB1 is significantly cheaper than the XB1s.