By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Man celebrating vote to repeal Obamacare learns he is on Obamacare

Majin-Tenshinhan said:
Safiir said:

At the bolded - Yeah, that remains to be seen. 

Well, honestly, it actually doesn't, because we can't see an alternate reality where Hillary won. Regardless of how good or bad Trump turns out to be, people will argue 'til they're blue in the face about how Hillary would've been better or worse. So... No, it doesn't actually remain to be seen. A choice was made, and we'll see the results of that choice. We will not see whether Hillary was the greater evil or not, though my personal conviction that she was is strong.

I don't really know anyone who is talking about how Hillary would be better. The only real conversation about how someone else would have been better was when Gore was defeated by Bush and hanging chads in florida.

Maybe we'll revisit this again if the Trump administration does bad.

Around the Network
MTZehvor said:
Naum said:
Yeah must be horrible to pay a little more tax so you can help poor people get the medicare they need to survive...
The US healthcare is fucking disgusting.

US healthcare sucks, but it's not simply paying a "little more" tax. Let's say you're a 25 year old, just out of college, and earning the median salary of $45,000 per year. The absolute cheapest plan on the ACA that you can pay for would cost $200.75 per month, or a little over $2,400 per year. That's with a $7,150 deductible as well. Factor taxes, housing, transporation, food, utilities, and other living expenses into that, and you have, according to Time Money, the average out of college student with around $675 ($8,100 per year) left to spend each month before healthcare. Now tack that $200.75 onto that, and you've instantly taken out nearly a third of your spending money that was left over (oh, and this doesn't even begin to consider paying back student loans, if you have any of those). Furthermore, this healthcare doesn't even particularly matter to you, except in the case of emergenies. You won't find many 25 year olds racking up $7,150+ of healthcare expenses in a single year.

To put it simply, this isn't a smart decision for the "young invincibiles" crowd that Democrats were banking on to make the ACA a success. And it's not simply people being selfish and refusing to pay a "little more" in taxes; it's nearly a third of their average disposable income leftover each month that may need to go towards a myriad of other things, such as a new car, or paying off student loans, or whatever. And for those who make less than the median $45,000 a year, good luck figuring out how to juggle all that. A significant number of students will simply take the penalty and pay $700 per year than take the $2400 a year hit for healthcare they will likely never benefit from. 

And that's largely what's happened. The ACA isn't struggling because there's a whole bunch of greedy rich people up there who refuse to shell out an additional $200 for healthcare; those people already have healthcare and are already paying into the system. The ACA is struggling because it banked on convincing a large group of relatively unwealthy low risk people to pay much more for healthcare than they already were, and that's just simply not going to happen when their finances are tight already.

Great summation in the final paragraph. In reality health care will never be good in America because insurance companies aren't there to help folks. They're there to get you to pay as much as you can in hopes that you never need them to actually help you. These companies used to collect thousands from consumers over a period of years and then drop them when they actually start using the services they'd been paying for. Now that they can no longer do this practice it's upsetting to these companies. 

There are some good parts of the ACA but for the most part it's a problematic program. Much like Social Security in the early throws it needs to be tweaked and reworked to benefit the people on a larger scale. Scrapping it and not having a replacement is a terrible idea. Reverting to the previous system is also unwise. 

PC GAMING: BEST GAMES. WORST CONTROLS

A mouse & keyboard are made for sending email and typing internet badassery. Not for playing video games!!!

RolStoppable said:
Peh said:
It works in germany and other countries. Why can't the us get it to work?

All corporations would have to agree to pay higher salaries for their employees. Usually politicians don't get things done when corporations are against such things, or things move only very slowly forward. Stichwort: Schummelsoftware in Autos von deutschen Konzernen.

Yes, but aren't they already, for the most part, paying their employees healh care insurances in US. The difference would be smaller than it look at first. If I've understood it correctly, the problems with Obamacare have been that people with insurances have been paying it twice, while the healtcare coverage is still the same as without Obamacare.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

bunchanumbers said:
Wiibaron said:
There are 7 or 8 different R plans for fixing the ACA. They have been working on the plans for a couple of years. Anyone saying 'they don't have a plan' is lying.

lol they had 6 years to come up with somethiing and never once shown anything concrete. Even now, they are talking repeal and delay. There is no replacement. All that was just more GOP grandstanding.

Yeah, I read about that. Repeal it but delay when the repeal takes place for another few years. That way they get to tell the voters that they've repealed it but coming up with a new plan is on the next administration. It's diabolically genius if you ask me.

PC GAMING: BEST GAMES. WORST CONTROLS

A mouse & keyboard are made for sending email and typing internet badassery. Not for playing video games!!!

FentonCrackshell said:
bunchanumbers said:

lol they had 6 years to come up with somethiing and never once shown anything concrete. Even now, they are talking repeal and delay. There is no replacement. All that was just more GOP grandstanding.

Yeah, I read about that. Repeal it but delay when the repeal takes place for another few years. That way they get to tell the voters that they've repealed it but coming up with a new plan is on the next administration. It's diabolically genius if you ask me.

Yup. This GOP administration is pretty shady. First thing they did was try to get rid of a ethics watchdog committee. They want to run wild and it shows.

Around the Network
spurgeonryan said:
I thought this was going to say, "Man who fought obamacare and finds out that he is on obamacare buys Scalebound".

Hahahha

my whole life i have been told how stupid Americans are... and i have always said that is not the case.

in 2016 America showed the world how badly there Education system is failing XD

2018 Hit List: Shadow of the Colossus, Detroit, Dreams, Spider-Man, God Of War, Days Gone, Medievil, Tomb Raider 3, RDR2 

I can only make one comment: people can be really stupid, and I'm not talking about this guy alone.

FentonCrackshell said:
Wiibaron said:
There are 7 or 8 different R plans for fixing the ACA. They have been working on the plans for a couple of years. Anyone saying 'they don't have a plan' is lying.

Any links or stories top these plans? Not saying they don't exist, but many Republicans have said they need to come up with a plan before they repeal ObamaCare. Apparently only a few of them know about these 7 or 8 different plans.

Hey, this was easy

They also proposed a partial repeal where they removed parts of ACA that they did not like. It was vetoed.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

spurgeonryan said:
merman said:
my whole life i have been told how stupid Americans are... and i have always said that is not the case.

in 2016 America showed the world how badly there Education system is failing XD

This has always been the case.  I mean we decimated an entire race, killled an entire species of buffalo, and ...vietnam.

We are not smart.

Can "we" not be held accountable for the actions of people long dead?