By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Final Fantasy XV total shipments top six million

Firefoxie said:
Boutros said:

Square Enix doesn't have access to those kind of numbers especially only a month after release (except digital sales I would assume). All they know is what retailers tell them about the amount of stock left. Square will use NPD numbers for sell-through in North America when they come out but until then they don't know. It's not like SE has an internal market research team (at least not one as big as NPD or GfK Chart-Track). So yes they will stick to shipped numbers because that's the only info they know for sure. Also shipped numbers are naturally bigger than sell-through numbers however good sell-through numbers might be. So that information is often favored PR-wise. And not only by SE but by most companies out there. So I don't understand why you're raising your pitchfork here?

Hmmm that's strange cause a month after RE6 came out Capcom knew exactly how much they sold both physically and digitally. The same for the Reboot of Tomb Raider. Its also funny you say that cause, there were sales numbers for FFXV in Japan a few weeks after it released. Hell, there were threads on this site about it. I believe at the time it only sold roughly 700k. I'm sorry, but I think they'd know within a month what the sales figures were.

I'm confused about what you're saying... You don't know that Media Create, Famitsu and Dengeki release weekly sell-through numbers in Japan but you call out people on their ignorance about shipped vs sold numbers..

And the Tomb Raider number we got was nearly two months after release. By then NPD and other market research firm came out. That's where Microsoft took their info.

And I don't know what RE6 numbers you're talking about.

Just so you know NPD releases monthly and isn't out yet for December. It's coming out in 2 days.

Around the Network
Turkish said:
squibbfire said:

yeah 10 mil is gonna be a easy target for them...FFXIII got around that and it wasnt anywhere near as good...

FF13 is at 7.5M with Steam sales included.

tbone51 said:

Game looks like it sold well in US and had a good holiday in japan but it doesn't necessarily mean they sold threw the 5mil shipment. An additional 1mil in the month of dec could mean a number of things though it does point out the game is still selling (my point being its not guareteed 5mil)

Well they sold thru the 5M otherwise retailers wouldn't need another batch of discs. Supply and demand.

Well going by the source they state that the game has reached over 6 million including digital and retail shipments, so there's definitely some playing fast and loose with these numbers for marketing sake of how well the game is doing...

Welcome back SE. We missed you.

Black Women Are The Most Beautiful Women On The Planet.

"In video game terms, RPGs are games that involve a form of separate battles taking place with a specialized battle system and the use of a system that increases your power through a form of points.

Sure, what you say is the definition, but the connotation of RPGs is what they are in video games." - dtewi

Solid-Stark said:
So would you guys say it lived up to the 10 year hype?

No...but to be honest that would be impossible. Do I think it delivered and lived up to the legacy of Final Fantasy? Yeah. I would say it hit the quality standard needed to stand shoulder with the rest of the Final Fantasy's. I would say overall this ranks in the middle of the pack for Final Fantasy's but like Episode VII sometimes you need to play it safe in order to rebuild confidence.

Black Women Are The Most Beautiful Women On The Planet.

"In video game terms, RPGs are games that involve a form of separate battles taking place with a specialized battle system and the use of a system that increases your power through a form of points.

Sure, what you say is the definition, but the connotation of RPGs is what they are in video games." - dtewi

Turkish said:
weaveworld said:
Is this a normal way of communicating numbers?

Like the first number was kind of bullshit, (putting sold and shipped together) this is a million more bullshit. Pardon the language.

This is just spinning numbers so we won't notice the company is very very disappointed with the sales and heads will roll.

Yeah its the normal way of communicating numbers. In fact all retail numbers you ever saw in your life are reported as shipped since they can't control every retailer in the world and see how much is sold in every store. Digital is easy, just check PSN total.

It's shocking you were ignorant about that fact seeing how long you're on this site.

We'll see in their financial report whether they're disappointed.

Ha, thanks for assuming that I am clueless, ignoring the fact that I didn't say (lol, read: mean... keep editing while i write this..) anything about shipped vs. sold (the retailers numbers) It's about including downloads (sold) in a shipment number. Ah fuck it. I see my reaction was not elaborate enough for you (or possibly any other) to make the distinction in what i was 'frustrated' about.

And why the hell is no one mentioning the amount of digital sales? Why? If we are talking numbers, and people are adding millions to predictons and all, how come no one distinguishes that very important number and subtracts it from whatever number we're dealing with so we can at least make a slightly more educated guess.

I guess I am just really curious about those sales and the lack of updates has finally gotten the best of me on Vgchartz. I am sorry. After all these years...

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:
Ruler said:

How was 13 better?

The better question is, how wasn`t it?

Did u even play both? Because XV although had a very subtly pushed through story, the game was open world and had actual towns and side quests in a huge world with explorable dungeons..... Xiii had grand pulse..... That's it .... Xiii had a very bad ending boss too... And you can definitely argue that XV has better gameplay.

mM
weaveworld said:
Turkish said:

Yeah its the normal way of communicating numbers. In fact all retail numbers you ever saw in your life are reported as shipped since they can't control every retailer in the world and see how much is sold in every store. Digital is easy, just check PSN total.

It's shocking you were ignorant about that fact seeing how long you're on this site.

We'll see in their financial report whether they're disappointed.

Ha, thanks for assuming that I am clueless, ignoring the fact that I didn't say (lol, read: mean... keep editing while i write this..) anything about shipped vs. sold (the retailers numbers) It's about including downloads (sold) in a shipment number. Ah fuck it. I see my reaction was not elaborate enough for you (or possibly any other) to make the distinction in what i was 'frustrated' about.

And why the hell is no one mentioning the amount of digital sales? Why? If we are talking numbers, and people are adding millions to predictons and all, how come no one distinguishes that very important number and subtracts it from whatever number we're dealing with so we can at least make a slightly more educated guess.

I guess I am just really curious about those sales and the lack of updates has finally gotten the best of me on Vgchartz. I am sorry. After all these years...

It's the industry standard to report like that, seen Sony first do it back in 2013 when they announced TLOU sales numbers. Also the industry is about 20-30% digital right now according to various sources, so we could say that FF15 is about 1-1.5M digital.

Turkish said:
weaveworld said:

It's the industry standard to report like that, seen Sony first do it back in 2013 when they announced TLOU sales numbers. Also the industry is about 20-30% digital right now according to various sources, so we could say that FF15 is about 1-1.5M digital.

Thats even more reason then that the game hasnt sold 5mil. Do you really think its under 1mil in stores rivht now WW?

Japan for example has over 200k on store shelves. Europe probably has more than that and NoA easily has alot. Game isnt sold out. Extra shipment means demand is there but its not like stores dont have 10s and 10s of copies left. I still think the game sold over 4mil. Well get NPD tomorrow so we should get a better understanding. 

tbone51 said:
Turkish said:

Thats even more reason then that the game hasnt sold 5mil. Do you really think its under 1mil in stores rivht now WW?

Japan for example has over 200k on store shelves. Europe probably has more than that and NoA easily has alot. Game isnt sold out. Extra shipment means demand is there but its not like stores dont have 10s and 10s of copies left. I still think the game sold over 4mil. Well get NPD tomorrow so we should get a better understanding. 

wut? Last I heard they shipped 1M to Japanese retailers, and they're 90K away from clearing it.

Turkish said:
tbone51 said:

wut? Last I heard they shipped 1M to Japanese retailers, and they're 90K away from clearing it.

1.07mil actually and thats assuming the shipment didnt go up as that is day 1 (by going up i mean a little like an extra 30k-50k for some stores?) and also MC just came out like under a half hour ago. So i was using the 880k figure. Still about 200k on store shelves. 

Also to point out NoA will have a ton of extra shipments for ffxv from this past holiday month.