By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - The Moderator Thread

Carl2291 said:
Kerotan said:

Miguel with the zinger! 

/Thread 

Ooooh that's gotta hurt. It's like telling a girl you're dating you like her,  but you prefer her classmate instead xD

> Points out tbone51's off topic digs at Lawlight, makes a point about quoting my post

> Goes on to laugh at and echo other members off topic digs at Rol less than 3 hours later

Are you even trying anymore?

Oh, was my post considered to be an off-topic dig? It was related to the coaching that was mentioned by other users, and I thought that my response to Rol was pretty sincere.

Around the Network
VGPolyglot said:

Oh, was my post considered to be an off-topic dig? It was related to the coaching that was mentioned by other users, and I thought that my response to Rol was pretty sincere.

You and Miguel_Zorro are very naughty boys and I'm already writing out moderations for the both of you.

Carl2291 said:
VGPolyglot said:

You and Miguel_Zorro are very naughty boys and I'm already writing out moderations for the both of you.

Please follow through with the most ridiculous Mod Notes you can think of.

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

After reading a few pages in this thread, I have something to say.

Trolling is not about being negative, or about being a fanboy. It's not about showing how other people are wrong. It's not even about taking threads a little off topic. It's about continually trying to ridicule others with insulting posts. That's it. If you think that trolling is about continually trying to get a rise out of somebody I have bad news for you. Virtually *any* post can be viewed in that manner. It's entirely subjective, and that sort of view on what trolling is leads to a witchhunt.

I've never had a problem with Kerotan. Rol is one of my favorite users on the site, because he's not afraid to speak the truth. There's only one or two people on this site that I genuinely think are trolls, but even their trolling is not severe enough to bother reporting to the mods.

TL/DR stop the witchhunt. Ban people for being continually insulting to others. Not for speaking their minds.

Cerebralbore101 said:

Trolling is not about being negative, or about being a fanboy. It's not about showing how other people are wrong. It's not even about taking threads a little off topic. It's about continually trying to ridicule others with insulting posts. That's it. If you think that trolling is about continually trying to get a rise out of somebody I have bad news for you. Virtually *any* post can be viewed in that manner. It's entirely subjective, and that sort of view on what trolling is leads to a witchhunt.

I've never had a problem with Kerotan. Rol is one of my favorite users on the site, because he's not afraid to speak the truth. There's only one or two people on this site that I genuinely think are trolls, but even their trolling is not severe enough to bother reporting to the mods.

TL/DR stop the witchhunt. Ban people for being continually insulting to others. Not for speaking their minds.

Trolling has a subcategory as well, though: baiting. 

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

Around the Network
Azuren said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

Yeah, but can baiting be clearly defined? How do you tell the difference between baiting, and someone just posting their genuine opinion? 

Cerebralbore101 said:
Azuren said:

Yeah, but can baiting be clearly defined? How do you tell the difference between baiting, and someone just posting their genuine opinion? 

Nothing can be clearly defined though. It's all perspective and opinion. We might as well debate the merits of bad and good. Making a choice based on the majority of opinions in this thread isn't misguided, because the only way to define something that isn't clear is through reception and opinion.

Ka-pi96 said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

Does whether it's their genuine opinion stop it from being trolling though? You literally just said trolling was "trying to ridicule others with insulting posts" so if it's someone's genuine opinion that someone else is an idiot they should be able to call them an idiot?

No, they souldn't be free to call them an idiot. If you disagree with someone you should just do your best to be civil. Throwing around insults at specific people is the opposite of civility. Also, whether or not someone is an idiot isn't a matter of opinion. Opinion doesn't mean "Whatever someone thinks is true". Under that definition everything is an Opinion and there are no facts. 

AngryLittleAlchemist said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

Nothing can be clearly defined though. It's all perspective and opinion. We might as well debate the merits of bad and good. Making a choice based on the majority of opinions in this thread isn't misguided, because the only way to define something that isn't clear is through reception and opinion.

Two is the sum of one and one. That is clearly defined. Lots of things can be clearly defined. We call those things Objective. 

Cerebralbore101 said:
AngryLittleAlchemist said:

Two is the sum of one and one. That is clearly defined. Lots of things can be clearly defined. We call those things Objective. 

Right ... so instead of replying to my actual point you're going to be a smart ass. Hey, maybe you should join Kerotan in the ban chamber! x D