So we have to play the game in which we act like we don't know the intentions of otherts even when they are so obvious? This is one pof those things I find hard to understand about this place, we have users that constantly lie trying to create an atmosphere of pessimism around the thing they fear (this is not the worse case though) and we all know it, but it is accepted, i cannot refute his "opinion" because is just that, an opinion, but I can make him know how obvious the intentions behind those comments are in hope that they don't repeat them so often. I won't report him because I don't think he should be banned for that at all, but some consequence is needed I think, and I don't see other way appart form ignore it, which I trouble with.
Several things -
1. An opinion can be refuted. If what he said was factual, then I'd agree. But, unless you're saying that it is, you can present a counter argument. If he is lying, explain how? What in his wording is deceptive? You can't say it's irrefutable and then try to dismantle it with "if a user is lying". Lying how?
2. There isn't a game, here. Many, many posters on this site don't stoop to a level of attacking a user personally that they don't agree with and get by just fine. You're capable of it, which then leads to...
3. (The Bold) If you have trouble ignoring something, then that is a situation you need to deal with on your own terms.
4. If you know his intentions, then report it. If that is not something you'd prefer to do, then other options are available to you. Attacking him personally, however, isn't one of them.
Discussion moved over from this thread: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=225519
Quick summary: The member Dr. Vita posted one of his usual throwaway comments regarding Nintendo, got called out for it by Goodnightmoon, mod shows up to address Goodnightmoon but not Dr. Vita.
1. There's a language barrier here. It's not lying, what is really meant is feigning and pretending interest. I think Dr. Vita's posting history is so blatant that we can skip the question whether or not he is a PlayStation-only gamer with no actual interest in other gaming systems.
2-4. It is sort of a game. The community gets asked to beat around the bush, although it should be obvious what is going on to everyone who is a VGC regular. The proposed solutions of the mod above do not work. Ignoring a problem doesn't make it go away. Reporting the posts doesn't amount to anything, because this level of trolling is too harmless to face consequences. Addressing the posts in a constructive manner (what Veknoid has done in the linked thread) usually ends with Dr. Vita not providing any response.
The bottom line is that Dr. Vita stops by in Nintendo threads, makes short comments and isn't held accountable in any form because he tends to ignore actual discussion. What makes this worse is that responses to Dr. Vita's posts seem to trigger reports, and if a mod shows up, only one side is getting called out, as if the mod team is oblivious to what is going on. It can be argued that attacks on Dr. Vita are the consequence of an inactive mod team which makes it all the more wrong when the community then gets asked by the mod team to rely on solutions that clearly do not work.
Moderations for Dr. Vita are too extreme (heck, you can see above that Goodnightmoon doesn't even ask for moderations), but the request that Dr. Vita should be held accountable for his posts in Nintendo threads... that is absolutely fair. That's something that the mod team should be doing. If someone cares enough to post in a thread, they should care enough to explain their stance. What's that rule?
"Do not just post 'Item A sucks', explain why you think so."
Dr. Vita constantly posts one-liners with the message "bad Nintendo is bad", even if it's in a mild form. You aren't going to moderate him for such posts, but that doesn't mean that this habitual behavior should be condoned by the mod team.