By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Eurogamer: Zelda's launch timing in Europe is still unclear.

Ka-pi96 said:
Barkley said:

In the EU they can, According to a study in 2006, 51% of EU Population have suficient english skills to hold a conversation.

Among gamers I'd say that figure is probably higher, as it'll mainly be the elderly population that cannot speak english.

Does that 51% of the EU population include the UK and Ireland?

But regardless, there`s more to Europe than just the EU anyways.

That doesn't matter though as UK & Ireland are still part of Europe, yeah it doesn't include European countries that are not members of the EU in those statistics, but as learning english is pretty much standard in most European schools and as gamers have grown up with the internet and such I think that well over 50% of Gamers in Europe have sufficient English skills.

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:
Barkley said:

That doesn't matter though as UK & Ireland are still part of Europe, yeah it doesn't include European countries that are not members of the EU in those statistics, but as learning english is pretty much standard in most European schools and as gamers have grown up with the internet and such I think that well over 50% of Gamers in Europe have sufficient English skills.

It does though, since they`d push the percentage of English speakers up quite considerably. So if they were included in that 51% then the actual % for non-English countries would be much lower.

Yeah but it doesn't because UK & Ireland are presumably affected by the delay. So the majority of people they are denying the game to would have sufficient language skills to play it english anyway.

I played a game online quite substantially (2000+ hours) and was amazed that literally everyone spoke english, when I was one of the minority that was actually from a native english country.

For Gamers english is the standard international language.

Barkley said:
Ka-pi96 said:

The majority of people in the world can`t read English though...

In the EU they can, According to a study in 2006, 51% of EU Population have suficient english skills to hold a conversation.

Among gamers I'd say that figure is probably higher, as it'll mainly be the elderly population that cannot speak english.

It's kind of a gigantic difference between "being able to hold a conversation" and being sufficient enough to enjoy a a game without running for the dictionary every 2 sentences.

My mom has had an english boyfriend for decades now and is able to communicate in english with him, but don't try to sit her in front of any kind of medium that's english.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

vivster said:
Barkley said:

It's kind of a gigantic difference between "being able to hold a conversation" and being sufficient enough to enjoy a a game without running for the dictionary every 2 sentences.

True, even if you are fluent in english a game will always be more enjoyable in your native tounge too... well... unless it has god awful dubbing.

Barkley said:
vivster said:

True, even if you are fluent in english a game will always be more enjoyable in your native tounge too... well... unless it has god awful dubbing.

I would not go that far. I'm at a point where I haven't consumed German media for over a decade and I am actively avoiding it because everything in German sounds like shit. I can't even stomach German subs to Japanese dubs.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network

Europe is always last with Nintendo, their weakest market.

Barkley said:
Ka-pi96 said:

The majority of people in the world can`t read English though...

Yeah, but even if we assume 75% of the gaming public can speak english correctly, you don't want to dismiss a whopping 25% of the gaming populance just because they can't read it (and more if they can but don't want to play in english anyway).

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

What is this 2003??

I never believed in a delay in europe and this doesn't shake my opinion. It will come out in march and I'm ready to take bets.

We'll find out in a couple more days Eurogamer! You too can also chill....... What am I saying! People love Switch news! Look at vgchartz! Keep them coming!

Pocky Lover Boy!