By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Do you expect different Switch SKUs?

One with 1080p lcd screen specially for VR

Around the Network
Guitarguy said:
I sincerely doubt it. Nintendo have marched to the beat of their own drum for a long time now. They refused to un-bundle the gamepad from the Wii U despite the fact that they could have dropped the price of the console significantly. They didn't put out 'slim' and revised versions(more cost effective) of the N64, Gamecube and Wii U(the Wii got a revision after it was irrelevant). Hell the Wii U didn't even have an ethernet port and the Wii didn't output in HD despite have the internal capability to. I really don't see them splintering their userbase/console like that.

I don't see how releasing new SKU's with the same hardware but different peripherals is "splintering the userbase". If they sell more units by releasing a cheaper handheld only version they will do it.

There are like a gazillion different 3DS SKUs. Didn't seem to hurt them.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

vivster said:
Guitarguy said:
I sincerely doubt it. Nintendo have marched to the beat of their own drum for a long time now. They refused to un-bundle the gamepad from the Wii U despite the fact that they could have dropped the price of the console significantly. They didn't put out 'slim' and revised versions(more cost effective) of the N64, Gamecube and Wii U(the Wii got a revision after it was irrelevant). Hell the Wii U didn't even have an ethernet port and the Wii didn't output in HD despite have the internal capability to. I really don't see them splintering their userbase/console like that.

I don't see how releasing new SKU's with the same hardware but different peripherals is "splintering the userbase". If they sell more units by releasing a cheaper handheld only version they will do it.

Some people are throwing around the notion of a more powerful SKU, I was referring specifically to that really. We could see a dock-less Switch which would essentially be an exclusive handheld but I think the main seller would be the full unit.

Seems very likely. Just look at how many different 3DS SKU's Nintendo released (I think 5?).

Yup. I'm predicting a home console variant with better performance. Should happen after a year or so depending on Switch sales.

Around the Network
Guitarguy said:
vivster said:

Some people are throwing around the notion of a more powerful SKU, I was referring specifically to that really. We could see a dock-less Switch which would essentially be an exclusive handheld but I think the main seller would be the full unit.

That's just crazy people talking crazy. Though I'm pretty sure that the Switch will get a new SKU down the line with a shrinked SOC with higher clock speed and lower power consumption.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Stefan.De.Machtige said:
I expect a NS Lite with non-removable joycons, no dock and maybe not even a TV cable like others has suggested.

This is my guess as well, though I think you'll see it earlier, rather than later.

vivster said:
Guitarguy said:

That's just crazy people talking crazy. Though I'm pretty sure that the Switch will get a new SKU down the line with a shrinked SOC with higher clock speed and lower power consumption.

I don't think it's that crazy. We live in a world with New 3DS, PS$ Pro, and Project Scorpio. Welcome to the new age.

The problem I think with a separate home console with better performance, is I'm skeptical that devs will create new assets for it.

Basically what I think most devs are going to with Switch is make their games for undocked mode. Then docked mode will see a resolution jump/maybe an increase in anti-aliasing or something and that's it.

But those initial assets are going to be fairly low quality, so all you're going to get is mainly just resolution boosts, which is good for image quality, but I don't think you're going to see things like massively different graphics from docked and undocked modes and I think there would be even less motivation for devs to also add a third performance mode for a home only option released even later. 

I think a Switch Pro might happen in 2 to 3 years with a 1080P screen and VR support.