By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Ex-Ubisoft Dev: Direct ports from PS4/Xbox One to Nintendo Switch not possible

daredevil.shark said:
KLXVER said:
Fair enough. Hope we get some new third party games instead of ports then. If we could get a Wii situation minus the shovelware, that would be great.

You can expect indie ones but not AAA types.

You can expect all the third party support the 3DS got at least. That's not so bad, is it? I guess western support will be bad (besides a few developers who like working with Nintendo) but japanese support should be great, as the Switch will have the lowest development costs on the market due to being less powerful and both the 3DS and the Vita dying in Japan. 

Around the Network
daredevil.shark said:
KLXVER said:
Fair enough. Hope we get some new third party games instead of ports then. If we could get a Wii situation minus the shovelware, that would be great.

You can expect indie ones but not AAA types.

Indies and smaller games are fine. As long as they come in physical versions. Indies have become the new AA. Yooka-Laylee, Bloodstained, Shenmue 3, We Happy Few etc.

Darwinianevolution said:
The 3rd party games that will sell best on the Switch won't need that much power anyway. Monster Hunter, Youkai Watch, Bravely Default... even Skyrim can be adjusted to fit the Switch. And if a big PS4-XBOne title has a decent chance of selling well on the Switch, they will take the time to modify it.

Not if it costs too much (ei. too time consumeing to do so).

The PS4 & XB1 are very simular, and probably dont take all that much work, to get one version running on the other system.

With the switch, its going to be more costly to port.

So either the Switch sells like the Wii (100m+) and gets lots of support anyways, because of the user base size, or it doesnt get AAA ports.

When you have to redo too much, its almost like developeing another game. Sales have to justify that.

Its "easy" to port but not "directly"? There was a couple of rumors that said it was easy.

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Seems perfectly fair, compared to the xbox one the Switch has half the memory, half the cpu performance, third of the gpu performance and less than half of the memory bandwidth although saying that I still suspect the Switch SOC may have some frame buffer memory in there to assist performance. However the main reasons why the Switch won't get a lot of these games is commercial reasons and the cost of cartridges.

I forgot the Maxwell architecture had tile based rendering presumably licensed from Imagination technologies. That will certainly assist performance.

It's quite possible where a game exists across many formats the developer will take a pick and mix approach maybe basing the engine on an android version of the game but using some higher quality assets from pc, ps4 or xbone.

It's important that Nintendo ensure that versions of games on the Switch aren't just downgraded ps4 or xbone games. They need to make sure they have their own unique selling points be it VR or a different graphic style or other ways of making the game unique on Switch including motion controls and utilise unique features of the Switch. So that some may actual prefer the Switch package or even double dip if they are multiple console owners.

Around the Network
JRPGfan said:
Darwinianevolution said:
The 3rd party games that will sell best on the Switch won't need that much power anyway. Monster Hunter, Youkai Watch, Bravely Default... even Skyrim can be adjusted to fit the Switch. And if a big PS4-XBOne title has a decent chance of selling well on the Switch, they will take the time to modify it.

The PS4 & XB1 are very simular, and probably dont take all that much work, to get one version running on the other system.

So either the Switch sells like the Wii (100m+) and gets lots of support anyways, because of the user base size, or it doesnt get AAA ports.

When you have to redo too much, its almost like developeing another game. Sales have to justify that.

To be fair, there aren't that many big western AAA games that have the potential of selling well on the Switch. The only one I can think of is Skyrim, because it can catter to the Zelda userbase and it's the first portable TES game. This system will get tons of A-AA games (both western and eastern) and last gen remasters, which will be a big step from the WiiU's support.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Some says it easy to port others its hard... and as always the same people on vgchartz belive the bad .. so damn predictable.

If it isn't turnbased it isn't worth playing   (mostly)

And shepherds we shall be,

For Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritūs Sancti. -----The Boondock Saints

Darwinianevolution said:
JRPGfan said:

To be fair, there aren't that many big western AAA games that have the potential of selling well on the Switch. The only one I can think of is Skyrim, because it can catter to the Zelda userbase and it's the first portable TES game. This system will get tons of A-AA games (both western and eastern) and last gen remasters, which will be a big step from the WiiU's support.

I think GTA could do well. Its just a universally loved franchise.

Jranation said:
Its "easy" to port but not "directly"? There was a couple of rumors that said it was easy.

They where lieing or talking out of their arses.

If you have to redo the game from the ground up, to make a switch version..... yeah... no way is that easy.

KLXVER said:
Darwinianevolution said:

I think GTA could do well. Its just a universally loved franchise.

But T2 and Nintendo don't really collab with each other. At all. But to be fair, I used to think the same for Bethesda, and now they are releasing Skyrim. Maybe we can get the PS360 version of GTA V and advertise it as GTA Portable. But I doubt people will care that much about it at this point. GTA is a PC/Console series, and even in Japan handheld GTA sells really weak. Plus T2 always wants massive numbers for GTA games, so if this just reaches two million (being optimistic here) they will still see it as a failure.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.