By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - I was assaulted and I got robbed while I was walking to the subway

buy a knife 2 1.18%

buy pepper spray 40 23.67%

buy a gun 20 11.83%

buy a katana 20 11.83%

taekwondo and karate classes 36 21.30%

all of the above 51 30.18%

Total:169
nanarchy said:

self defense lessons are good. But I am sure I am will get shot down for this BUT, unless they are actually assaulting you just give them the money/purse/wallet whatever. More than a few people have been killed defending what are essentially replaceable belongings and you never know whether the thief has better skills or better weapons or is just more desperate than you, it just isn't worth it. On the other side if they are physically assaulting you then basic self defense is better than a weapon. goin, throat, eyes, feet are easily targeted with a little training.

More with this guy. If he's got the drop on you it's usually too late to ~safely resist and best to do what will deescalate the situation and get out of there.  A knife is not a good self defense weapon, but some pepper spray could be useful under the right circumstances.

Around the Network
SkepticallyMinded said:
I'm not sure why you thought you were safe to walk alone at night. That's very naive or very stupid. This is a crippling experience for sure emotionally, but perhaps it's actually a blessing in disguise as in the future when you encounter someone looking for more than cash from you, you will be better prepared to handle the situation.

I hope this is your only interaction with such matters, but you need to make better decisions.

Always gonna be this guy.

If a person can't walk in the street without having someone robbing/raping/killing them, then you know it's fucked up.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

12/22/2016- Made a bet with Ganoncrotch that the first 6 months of 2017 will be worse than 2016. A poll will be made to determine the winner. Loser has to take a picture of them imitating their profile picture.

Knife is bad idea. Easily use it against you. As a person who has been sprayed in the face with Pepper Spray it barely did anything to me. Learn self defense. Stun gun be ok as well as even if that is used against you should not kill you.

onionberry said:

So yeah, I have my own car but sometimes I just like to walk and take the train, the motherfucker grabbed my hair like when you grab a cat by the scruff and took my purse with a bunch of shit... and then he ran... and there I was crying like a little bitch :(

I'm ok now, but it's the first time that I experience that kind of violence, or any kind of violence. But I also feel that I wanna cut his dick and put it inside his ass, full of bullet ants. The first time that I experience that kind of hate. Sadly I can't do that but just the feeling is satisfying. I have crazy thoughts and now I wanna buy a knife, pepper spray and take karate or taekwondo classes, and I'm not even joking.

It's sad not because of the material stuff, but because I like to walk alone and now I feel like that mf took that from me, so yeah, *sniff sniff*. Anyway, thankfully I'm ok and nothing happened to me physically, so I guess that he was a polite piece of shit.

Thank God  you are not getting any serious injuries. 

Have u block your ATM and credit card ? 

And also u need to buy a protection spray or if it's me i will conduct a martial art training.  a good defensive one are , Aikido, Jujutsu, judo, and etc that relying on grapling, and throwing. 

SegataSanshiro said:
Knife is bad idea. Easily use it against you. As a person who has been sprayed in the face with Pepper Spray it barely did anything to me. Learn self defense. Stun gun be ok as well as even if that is used against you should not kill you.

Did you cover your eyes? Or did you just withstand the pain?

When I got pepper sprayed for an experiment, I was unable to do much for about 30 seconds before getting it together

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

12/22/2016- Made a bet with Ganoncrotch that the first 6 months of 2017 will be worse than 2016. A poll will be made to determine the winner. Loser has to take a picture of them imitating their profile picture.

Around the Network

Damn, that sucks. Sorry to hear about that happening to you.

Did anybody else notice or say anything? Or was it the type of situation where it happened all so fast that nobody really had time to react.

Always sorry to hear this type of story. Disclaimer: I know you already feel like shit and violated, so I'm not going to rehash the consolations and advice on filing police reports, canceling your cards, doing ID protection, etc. etc.

Rather than arm yourself or spend the prerequisite months (potentially years) it would take to learn effective combatives (and I would recommend against relying upon martial arts classes as there is a difference), see if there isn't a group/class specifically geared towards women for practical street defense. That's long term.

You first mentioned that you usually drive, which I took to mean you rarely take the train, which means you probably haven't developed the sense of vigilance one would have if they regularly walked home at night alone.

Any self defense instructor will likely start with emphasizing the importance of situational awareness, or in plain language, being very aware of your surroundings and potential threats.

You got caught off guard, which is the instance virtually every time someone gets jumped/mugged, because you weren't really paying attention, either because you were lost in thought, looking at your phone, etc.

This is not any sort of judgement, but from the perspective of a mugger, they are specifically looking for victims that both represent a low potential threat, and appear to be unaware of their surroundings (wearing blinders) or distracted.

And I must point out that being armed, whether it was with a bottle of pepper spray, a small knife, or even a handgun wouldn't have made any more difference than if you were trained in combatives because your mugger got the drop on you. At BEST, if you had a handgun (and observed all the legal hoops required to legally carry, much less responsibly and legally use) you would have shot him in the back as he was running away, resulting in a far worse situation than losing your stuff. Plus, if you carry your self defense trinket in you bag and it's your bag that gets grabbed; you see the pointlessness of carrying a weapon.

I realize this doesn't help give you any sense of vindication, but take what you can from this experience the next time you choose to go at it alone on foot.

Pay attention to your surroundings, avoid potential threats and above all, be safe. Stay alert, stay alive.

As for where I'm personally coming from, I am an 8 year US Army veteran, training in patrolling, small unit tactics, etc. etc. in addition to having spent years doing traditional martial arts, combat ring sports in addition to USAR combatives. And I'm just going to point out if I was stumbling home drunk or even just walking home alone downtown with headphones on watching a video, oblivious to my surroundings, I would have been just as easily jumped as you were.

Sucks you had to go through that. Hope you're doing better now. I hate walking around Manhattan at night, and I'm a guy. Can't imagine how that must feel like as a girl, especially now.

hershel_layton said:
SegataSanshiro said:

Did you cover your eyes? Or did you just withstand the pain?

When I got pepper sprayed for an experiment, I was unable to do much for about 30 seconds before getting it together

Hit me straight in the face and eyes. Stung a little but not much else. My friend is like me in that regard for whatever reason pepper spray doesn't do much to us.

Damn! What country do you live? In my country everyone has been assaulted in the past 2 years.. Thankfully nothing happend to you D: