By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Vr is coming to the Switch, according to OBE1plays (Rumor)

Virtual Reality on the Switch ?

Do a barrel .... *puke* 24 26.37%

It was my dream to play M... 9 9.89%

Meh ... 22 24.18%

How can you do good VR with a 720p screen ? 36 39.56%

Total:91

I liked his hype. subbed

Around the Network

I used to watch OBE1 but now every video is too loud, crazy, and kind of unprofessional. HE has the hype but everything else falls flat. If he gets this right though, his street cred is going through the roof.

Anyways, Nintendo did say there was a secret that we don't know about. Maybe it's VR.

Ljink96 said:
I used to watch OBE1 but now every video is too loud, crazy, and kind of unprofessional. HE has the hype but everything else falls flat. If he gets this right though, his street cred is going through the roof.

Anyways, Nintendo did say there was a secret that we don't know about. Maybe it's VR.

The amazing thing though is that whenever he's *not* on his YT channel (like part of a roundtable with other users) - he's way more chill.

I predict NX launches in 2017 - not 2016

Qwark said:
VR with what 400gflops the PS4 struggles with over four times that power. Hell the pro even struggles to provide a convincing picture with ten times the power.

People keep writing comments like this but surely no one expects the Switch to compete with PSVR. It's like criticising a bicycle because even a Kawasaki 1300cc motorbike can't get to 200mph when no one is expecting a bicycle to get to 200mph. This is going to be closer to the google cardboard VR experience than the Sony PSVR. These are 2 VR systems at different levels. If someone loves Switch VR they may want to upgrade to Sony PSVR to get more ambitious games, better immersion and a higher resolution VR experience. I don't know what price the Nintendo HMD will be but its going to be pretty basic because pretty much everything is in the tablet I'm sure.

I'm guessing the premium Switch pack includes the VR HMD and maybe a version of Splatoon that is also VR compatible.

Nope not believing this for a second! Probably just another desperate tactic for attention like the whole "I'M ALWAYS HYPED, ALL CAPS ALL DAY!!!" skit.

Around the Network

On that res and low GPU grunt. The apps certainly won't be anything special.

bonzobanana said:
thismeintiel said:

That screenshot doesn't tell the whole story, though, as most people would be looking at it on a 900p-1080p, and some above, screen on their PCs/laptops.  720p in an actual phone VR headset is freaking awful.  Being that close to the screen even on a 1080p is a little distracting seeing the pixels that make up the screen.  It's tolerable, but at 720p, it'll be god awful.  I imagine people won't be able to do it for more than a few minutes.

I don't agree with you overall but there may be some people where resolution is too low for them by personal choice. That image certainly doesn't tell the full story as it actual lacks the vivid colours of a real screen and shows some jpeg compression artifacts. Also a tablet screen and HMD purposely designed to work together with no compatibility with other devices may be able to optimise the screen a bit more. The  middle and side borders are a bit large on the image above they might be reduced and there may be some other inovations to improve it.

I don't think you get what I'm saying.  If that image you posted was actually what you saw on screen, people wouldn't care.  My point is with such a low res screen and being so close to the screen, the image is going to look more like this...

Yeah, you kind of come to that conclusion when he writes "The middle and side borders are a bit large on the image above they might be reduced"

thismeintiel said:
bonzobanana said:

I don't agree with you overall but there may be some people where resolution is too low for them by personal choice. That image certainly doesn't tell the full story as it actual lacks the vivid colours of a real screen and shows some jpeg compression artifacts. Also a tablet screen and HMD purposely designed to work together with no compatibility with other devices may be able to optimise the screen a bit more. The  middle and side borders are a bit large on the image above they might be reduced and there may be some other inovations to improve it.

I don't think you get what I'm saying.  If that image you posted was actually what you saw on screen, people wouldn't care.  My point is with such a low res screen and being so close to the screen, the image is going to look more like this...

I've already stated I've used a 720p android phone in a VR visor I know what the resolution will be like. I've also used the original Oculus Rift before the retail version which was also 720p. The contrast and gridline does not represent my experience above but yes the pixels are larger. You can still have great contrast, colour, fluid motion etc it certainly doesn't have to look washed out like your image above. Also remember its one image per eye and each image may not line up exactly the same. You can have a lense effect that slightly changes the image between the eyes to reduce or eliminate the screen door effect. Ultimately the point is could Nintendo release a 720p VR system commercially and I would say yes it still would be massive fun and desirable. Would it be better with an increase in resolution and the answer is yes but that doesn't mean 720p is unusable. Nintendo's HMD is going to be probably $70 or less  as an accessory making use of the tablets existing screen. It's not in the same price range or performance of PSVR.

Here's someone's experience using the Rift DK1 which was 720p.

Competition is very strong imo. It would definitely need a strong line-up (like a Pokemon VR game).