By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Music Discussion - Top 5 Albums of 2016

Two mentions of Avantasia's Ghostlights. Good to see. Easily my album of the year too. Tobi's back on top form after a minor lull from 2010-2013. The best song from the album was sadly relegated to bonus track status though ("Wake Up to the Moon").

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uvr3IDStzhs

My other picks:

Miranda Lambert - The Weight of These Wings
Seems to be more stripped down and less hook laden than her previous efforts. Still a lot of quality, and not too much filler for a double album.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjG8siumtTs

Zakk Wylde - Book of Shadows II
The original is one of my all time favourite albums, and although this doesn't match up to it, it's still really good. Zakk really excels at the softer material. I really wish he'd quit the heavy stuff and focus on this sort of thing full time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8dG5fSsALI

Deftones - Gore
There's something so ethereal about Deftones' output since White Pony. Really beautiful music, even when it's hard and heavy. This is the latest in a long line of strong albums.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-loCuBm5q0

Epica - The Holographic Principle
Not their biggest fan, but I got this to review and was blown away. Just a massive, ambitious symphonic metal album.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhGgb1E3HpQ

Around the Network

no order

Deftones - Gore
Opeth - Sorceress
Noisia - Outer Edges
Radiohead - A moon shaped pool

Darashiva said:

I have to say, I haven't listened to all that many new albums this year. I did discover many older albums this year that I really liked, but of the ones released in 2016 only one really stood out to me.

Ghostlights by Avantasia

Indeed especially let the storm descent upon me was  a great song. Probably their best song since the scarecrow.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

I haven't really dug deep to try to find all of the things I missed yet, but here are my preliminary picks (in no order):

-Weezer - White Album: For a long time, I've said "Weezer made two good albums and then spent the next two decades trying to figure out what made those albums good". With Everything Will Be Alright In the End they were on the edge of figuring it out and White Album put them over that edge. If you are a fan of Weezer's old sound but have given up on them, give them one last chance and check out this album.

-Deftones - Gore: Deftones has never made a bad album and this is no exception, but admittedly they are going in a direction that I personally don't like as much as, say White Pony or Diamond Eyes. This album feels perhaps more artsy and less of that dirty kind of sexy which I've always loved. Still, I think it is an objectively fantastic album.

-Plini - Handmade Cities: Plini has long been my favorite instrumental guitarist and he finally released his first full length album. It is tremendous. There isn't much more to say. If a more modern sounding progressive virtuoso guitarist sounds like it would be up your alley, check it out.

-Radiohead - A Moon Shaped Pool: I never really got into Radiohead. I love most of what I've heard, but I'm a lazy bastard who just hasn't jumped into all of their music yet. So, I hopped into this album not knowing what to expect and got something unexpected. This is a tremendously quiet album and one of the most emotionally resonant I heard all year. Wonderful album for those slow days when you just want to lay in bed and stare at the ceiling (unfortunately I haven't had much of those days lately).

Honorable Mentions:
-TTNG - Disappointment Island: Math rock band which made a fantastic album in Animals years ago, then lost their vocalist and haven't matched that album yet. Solid album but doesn't quite reach "Wow" levels.
-Katatonia - The Fall of Hearts: This is the tenth studio album from Katatonia, a swedish melodic metal band. Personal tastes is the only thing that keeps this album from my top list, because it is a really good listen, just not the type of thing that makes me want to listen over and over again.
-Protest the Hero - Pacific Myth: Its an EP, not a full length album, but I'm a huge PTH fan so it makes the list by default.

Albums I haven't listened to that have a chance of making the list:
-Big Ups - Before a Million Universes
-clipping - Splendor and Misery
-Kendrick Lamar - untitled unmastered
-Conor Oberst - Ruminations

I am surprised to see Blink so high in the list. I definitely feel like this album was a lot better than their previous couple of albums. Matt Skiba seems to fit in nicely. I was worried because Alklaine Trios recent albums have also been kinda meh to me as well.

I really need to listen to the new Garbage album. They are definitely among my favorite bands (interestingly enough both blink and garbage announced tour dates close to me in the past week. But my friends opted for Muse...which was also announced this week).

Other good albums from last year were the Deftones, chance the rapper and I even enjoyed Green Days new album (in comparison to their recent music).
I'm also glad I am not the only person who was a bit disappointed with Joanne.

Around the Network

I think that Opeth's Sorceress and Chthe'ilist's Le dernier crépuscule are the only albums I've listened to from this year, so I guess that those two win by default?

The only 2016 album I listened to was Starboy and it was pretty good.

5. Young The Giant - Home of the Strange

4. Iggy Pop/Josh Homme - Post pop depression

3. Childish Gambino - Awaken my Love

2. Aesop Rock - The Impossible Kid

Undisputed best album of 2016, released completely free (like the previous 2 albums) for all fans...

1. Run the Jewels - Run the Jewels 3

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian

There is no order with these albums, but here are some of my favorites of 2016:

• Metallica - Hardwired to Self-Destruct
  • Disturbed - Immortalized
  • muse - Drones
  • Five Finger Death Punch - Got Your Six

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YoutubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Gap Charts | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

1. Rag N' Bone Man: Human
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3wKzyIN1yk

2. Justin Bieber: Purpose

3. Adele: 25

4. Ed Sheeran: Divide

5. Kanye West: The Life of Pablo