By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Batman Arkham Asylum Nintendo Wii prototype, Unrelased

Do you think WB should have given the greenlight on this game?

Hell yeah! 44 62.86%

Ew, no 26 37.14%

Total:70

On Red Fly Studio’s website is an archive of demos and prototypes, and it has recently been updated with a treasure trove of old Wii prototype titles including Batman Arkham Asylum, Devil May Cry, Dig Dug, and Star Wars: X-Wing Vs. TIE Fighter.

Red Fly Studios notes on their site that they have “done dozens of prototypes over the years. Our archives are full of experiments to see what was possible or fun.”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6ThYLaECSE

'Video games are bad for you? That's what they said about rock-n-roll.'
-Shigeru Miyamoto

Around the Network

I hate seeing cancelled games. This game looks good.

That Batman game looks surprisingly decent. of course, the Wii's tech limits its capabilities, but nonetheless I probably would've given it a go.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

12/22/2016- Made a bet with Ganoncrotch that the first 6 months of 2017 will be worse than 2016. A poll will be made to determine the winner. Loser has to take a picture of them imitating their profile picture.

Yeah, it actually looked pretty good, especially considering the wiis tech, they shoulda just released it, I'm sure it would have been a million seller.

This is one of the reasons why I'm hopeful for the Switch - from the recent rumors that the Tegra x1 dev kit is old and outdated and that the october developer kit is comparable or is a pascal tegra chip, and that unreal engine runs at decent settings, i think what's more important is the cost of cartridges and the marketing.

This is a great example of a game that probably would have at least sold a million copies on the Wii, despite being of much lower quality graphically than the 360 version. It looks decent and obviously has decent optimization. Now imagine that the Switch isn't nearly as underpowered compared to the Xbox One as Wii was to the 360, and you get the idea.

But yea, this game SHOULD have released. At LEAST they'd make their money more than back.

Around the Network

Would have been interesting, but it didn't look very good based on that.

If anything maybe the Wii should have gotten its own Batman game that play like Arkham games.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Looks good for early development gameplay. Battle animations could have been better, but that could have been handled if the game was greenlit. The simpler art works for Batman.  They probably decided that the costs of developing the game on that engine were too high, which is a shame because it probably would have sold pretty well. I know I'd have bought it unless reviews were absolutely terrible.

So many cancelled Wii games. It seems like a number of developers wanted to make more games for the Wii, but publishers said no.  Rogue Squadron was even complete before those legal problems with Factor 5 got it cancelled.

I really think Nintendo blew it by gimping the Wii chipset so badly. It would've gotten tons and tons and tons of third party support had the chip even been half an XBox 360.

The N64 launched in 1996 for $199.99, and the GameCube launched in 2001 for $199.99 with a full generation upgrade for an affordable price, so don't give me the "well they couldn't have made the Wii any more powerful" ... by 2006, they should've been able to release a chip much better than what they put in there for $250.

GameCube launched for $50 less and offered a full generational leap.

With a better chip a lot more projects would've been greenlit and a lot of these canned projects would've made it to retail. 

Soundwave said:

I really think Nintendo blew it by gimping the Wii chipset so badly. It would've gotten tons and tons and tons of third party support had the chip even been half an XBox 360.

The N64 launched in 1996 for $199.99, and the GameCube launched in 2001 for $199.99 with a full generation upgrade for an affordable price, so don't give me the "well they couldn't have made the Wii any more powerful" ... by 2006, they should've been able to release a chip much better than what they put in there for $250.

With a better chip a lot more projects would've been greenlit and a lot of these canned projects would've made it to retail. 

Maybe motion control tech is still expensive at that time, and the Wii has a buit in Wifi adapter (IIRC the launch X360 didn't has). Plus there are inflation factor too. $199 at 2001 maybe isn't the same with $199 at 2006. Plus Plus Nintendo also want to make a profit so maybe they raise the price a bit.

A handheld gamer only (for now).

Vor said:
Soundwave said:

Maybe motion control tech is still expensive at that time, and the Wii has a buit in Wifi adapter (IIRC the launch X360 didn't has). Plus there are inflation factor too. $199 at 2001 maybe isn't the same with $199 at 2006. Plus Plus Nintendo also want to make a profit so maybe they raise the price a bit.

The motion control couldn't have been that expensive for one Nintendo even gimped the motion controller by not including the motion plus technology from the get go, and they sold them seperately for the same price as as any other controller, Nintendo's notoriously cheap they wouldn't take a loss on millions upon millions of controller. Accelerometers and motion sensors don't cost that much. 

The cost of the controller at a manufacturing level was probably $20-$25 tops. 

Inflation wasn't that huge either ... something purchased for $200 in 1996 would only be $225 in 2001. Lets say $25 out for inflation, and $25 out for the additional cost of the controller ... where was the other $200 going?