By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - I miss the early Wii U days... Those days were the brightest days of the Console's life.

The Nintendo consoles with the most excitement around their launches in my memory were NES, N64, and Wii. The other consoles were mildly exciting at best, if anything, the biggest day for SNES was Donkey Kong Country's release. GameCube was a little underwhelming, but also very negative around launch, being called a system for children and in the US people would call it "Gaycube" and make internet comments with things such as "PS2 here! Gay people go in that lineup" and have it point to the GameCube. Wii U was scary, because it had very little reaction at all compared to past Nintendo consoles.

On the N64 front, despite the hype, the thing launched and had only 7 or 8 games release during the first year. So it quickly became a console only for playing GE007 and Mario Kart and Mario 64 was on it from before along with some other RARE games, and didn't become much more than that until Ocarina of Time and Lylat Wars came out. Regardless, HUGE disappointment. Cartridges on N64 was, by far, the most damaging blow Nintendo ever inflicted on themselves.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Around the Network

We had a great time with it in my household. The was right before my life went to shit for a year. I still think about playing Mario Chase and feeling like a 12 year old, again.

My favorite time was playing Mario kart 8! Can't wait for the switch version !! And due to a online pricing glitch on sears website a couple years back, I was able to snag the Mario kart 8 Wii U bundle for $60 with a price match at Walmart. Lol

Really the only periods where it was halfway decent were the times Super Mario 3D World and Mario Kart 8 released, and it solely because of those games. Too lazy to look up when that was though. First year was attrocious, basically the same as this and last year. I think, after getting ZombiU (bundled) and NSMBU I didn't get a single game until Wind Waker HD and not an original one until 3D World. That was a long period of time.

i'm just glad it got a couple COD games. so much more fun playing multiplayer with a mate.

yer sure the gfx sucked it lacked shit. but beats split screen and leaning over looking to see were they are.

Around the Network

The Jan 13 direct was full of hope...

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Its brightest moment lasted between the E3 of 2014, when they showed that Digital Event with funny Robot Chicken sketches and an exciting lineup, and the E3 of 2015, when not much more else was announced. I genuinely thought we were going to have a decent 2016.

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

2014 was amazing

WiiU is such a great console, should have sold at least 25m :/

brightest moment was the launch of Mario 3D World, a truely stunning game

gamepad is fine but should have never been the basic controller (a redesigned "WiiUremote" would do the job) and secondly, Nintendo should have paid to get GTAV no matter what, then things would be different right now :(

don't mind my username, that was more than 10 years ago, I'm a different person now, amazing how people change ^_^

KLXVER said:
2014 was amazing

- DK Tropical Freeze
- Hyrule Warriors
- Nes Remix 2
- Guacamelee!
- Shantae And The Pirate Curse
- SteamWorld Dig
- Mario Kart 8
- Art Of Balance 
- Pushmo World
- Shovel Knight