By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Different settings for docked / portable Switch modes spotted in Unreal Engine 4

potato_hamster said:
Wyrdness said:

Who said these are the only settings? Seems to me you're adding words in people's mouths just to argue.

Why woudln't we assume these are the only settings? You do realize the OP actually lists all of the settings in question, right? This is article is about discovering that there are two different preset profiles within Unreal 4.14 that contains seven settings to apparently differentiate between Switch and SwitchHandheld profiles. It doesn't say this is a snippet. It doesn't say this is a small portion of a larger profile. It says this is the profile.

You're the one that's extrapolating from that and assuming that these seven settings is a small representation of something that ensures  "the engine will do the scaling itself" and thus, this means the engine has the "coding for portable mode for your game saving developers any hassle, so developers only have to focus on getting it to run in docked mode."

Those are your words. That's what you took from the discovery that there are two profiles in UE4.14 that affects seven engine settings. Why are you assuming there is more to this? Why are you assuming that this means that developing Switch games on UE4 .14 is suddenly significantly easier than expected for developers as a result of this discovery?

Oh god you make my eyes get cancer hahahaha

34 years playing games.

Around the Network
potato_hamster said:

Why woudln't we assume these are the only settings? You do realize the OP actually lists all of the settings in question, right? This is article is about discovering that there are two different preset profiles within Unreal 4.14 that contains seven settings to apparently differentiate between Switch and SwitchHandheld profiles. It doesn't say this is a snippet. It doesn't say this is a small portion of a larger profile. It says this is the profile.

You're the one that's extrapolating from that and assuming that these seven settings is a small representation of something that ensures  "the engine will do the scaling itself" and thus, this means the engine has the "coding for portable mode for your game saving developers any hassle, so developers only have to focus on getting it to run in docked mode."

Those are your words. That's what you took from the discovery that there are two profiles in UE4.14 that affects seven engine settings. Why are you assuming there is more to this? Why are you assuming that this means that developing Switch games on UE4 .14 is suddenly significantly easier than expected for developers as a result of this discovery?

Do you not know how coding works? For a start you can add, disable, change and remove code in profiles modders have been doing this for decades and it seems to me you either struggled to understand context of a post giving a basic summary of what's being reported or just anxious to argue over anything. These profile settings may also just be the ones specific to the Switch and the rest of the engine outside of platform profiles may be universal across all platforms who knows but it's clear the are more settings to play around with as that's how engines goes, many have several text files with settings to adjust it depends on the engine set up tbh.

Finding a base starting point in coding makes things significantly easier I've done programing and also do programming when modding for Skyrim and Fallout, rather than spend added time testing for a basic set up then additional time calculating how to scale that for portable mode they have a base point to start from and aim at, it's not hard to fathom why this makes thing easier for development as they can work from the base template numbers rather than having to go to a blank drawing board.

I was talking about exactly this with Curl just 2 days ago, this should be possible, set one config for docked mode and another for handheld mode, many games are very scalable in PC, I don't see what they couldn't use that on Switch.

Of course that would require extra work, but I think is way less than what people believes.

-Double Post-

Wyrdness said:
potato_hamster said:

Do you not know how coding works? For a start you can add, disable, change and remove code in profiles modders have been doing this for decades and it seems to me you either struggled to understand context of a post giving a basic summary of what's being reported or just anxious to argue over anything. These profile settings may also just be the ones specific to the Switch and the rest of the engine outside of platform profiles may be universal across all platforms who knows but it's clear the are more settings to play around with as that's how engines goes, many have several text files with settings to adjust it depends on the engine set up tbh.

Finding a base starting point in coding makes things significantly easier I've done programing and also do programming when modding for Skyrim and Fallout, rather than spend added time testing for a basic set up then additional time calculating how to scale that for portable mode they have a base point to start from and aim at, it's not hard to fathom why this makes thing easier for development as they can work from the base template numbers rather than having to go to a blank drawing board.

I used to make console video games for a living, and did so for about a decade before I decided to join a less volitle industry, with stable hours, the ability to never worry about cancelling vacations last minute because of "unexpected crunch" and signifcantly higher salaries. So yes, I know how programming works, how game development works, and most importanly how various game development engines work.

Based on that experience, I also know that you're taking a rather innocuous part of this unreal engine update, and blowing it up to this making it meaningfully easier to make a video game on the Switch. This makes things minimally easier. As in, this might save a programmer a day's worth of work if they were to start from scratch without proper documentation, and if they don't have access to the wikis . Woopdedoo.

But thanks for asking if I know how coding works.

Around the Network
fatslob-:O said:
Games will still have to compensate for the platform regardless of middleware support ...

An engine will not automatically scale the assets for you ...

Funny how many people don't realize this.

potato_hamster said:

I used to make console video games for a living, and did so for about a decade before I decided to join a less volitle industry, with stable hours, the ability to never worry about cancelling vacations last minute because of "unexpected crunch" and signifcantly higher salaries. So yes, I know how programming works, how game development works, and most importanly how various game development engines work.

Based on that experience, I also know that you're taking a rather innocuous part of this unreal engine update, and blowing it up to this making it meaningfully easier to make a video game on the Switch. This makes things minimally easier. As in, this might save a programmer a day's worth of work if they were to start from scratch without proper documentation, and if they don't have access to the wikis . Woopdedoo.

You certainly don't come across as it because your post saying that you assume this is all the features in the engine to adjust isn't one someone who knows coding would ask which calls your claim into question. Note how you're agitated and have failed to debunk what I posted because it can't be argued that it helps developers so have to come from an angle to play down what was a summary of a reported article which highlights you're more upset at the news than anything. This is especially as the post you seem in a rage over simply points out how a higher and lower setting feature is implemented in the engine for convenience so two versions of one game don't need to be created rather the engine itself has a scaling feature with the profiles something someone else who replied to you even tried pointing, you on the other are the one blowing the issue up because you're arguing a context that isn't even there maybe just for the sake of it, maybe because you misunderstood the post or just to be negative who knows.

Wyrdness said:
potato_hamster said:

You certainly don't come across as it because your post saying that you assume this is all the features in the engine to adjust isn't one someone who knows coding would ask which calls your claim into question. Note how you're agitated and have failed to debunk what I posted because it can't be argued that it helps developers so have to come from an angle to play down what was a summary of a reported article which highlights you're more upset at the news than anything. This is especially as the post you seem in a rage over simply points out how a higher and lower setting feature is implemented in the engine for convenience so two versions of one game don't need to be created rather the engine itself has a scaling feature with the profiles something someone else who replied to you even tried pointing, you on the other are the one blowing the issue up because you're arguing a context that isn't even there maybe just for the sake of it or just to be negative who knows.

Nope. i didn't assume this was all the features of the engine. This isn't 1/10000th of the settings that could be adjusted in this engine. My original point, which i continue to state, the existance of a profile that sets values for 7 amongst the thousands upon thousands of settings that can be set isn't exactly going to make a huge difference, is it? Two versions of the game never needed to be created regardless of the engine being used, but rather, various checks have to be embedded into the engine to check the console's operation mode that otherwise would not have to be there for any other console, meaning that you have verify that all the branches your operation mode checks create.

Look, I'm sorry you don't seem to understand what this actually means. This is not a scaling feature. This isn't the big convenince you're making it out to be. It's nowhere close to that. This does not do the scaling for you. This is a barebones foundation that developers can use as a very very very basic template that they will have to build up immensely during the development process in order to ensure optimal performance. This is the first brick in a foundation made of thousands of bricks that developers still have to make themselves to develop an actual usable scaling feature. Understand?

twintail said:
Wyrdness said:
Basically for anyone who doesn't understand it means that the engine does the scaling itself, if you have a game using UE4 and it runs in docked mode the engine itself already has the coding for portable mode for your game saving developers any hassle, so developers only have to focus on getting it to run in docked mode.

If devs target the handheld mode, then yes.

If they target he console mode first, then no it is not that simple. 

^Boom. Truth bomb.

potato_hamster said:

Nope. i didn't assume this was all the features of the engine. This isn't 1/10000th of the settings that could be adjusted in this engine. My original point, which i continue to state, the existance of a profile that sets values for 7 amongst the thousands upon thousands of settings that can be set isn't exactly going to make a huge difference, is it? Two versions of the game never needed to be created regardless of the engine being used, but rather, various checks have to be embedded into the engine to check the console's operation mode that otherwise would not have to be there for any other console, meaning that you have verify that all the branches your operation mode checks create.

Look, I'm sorry you don't seem to understand what this actually means. This is not a scaling feature. This isn't the big convenince you're making it out to be. It's nowhere close to that. This does not do the scaling for you. This is a barebones foundation that developers can use as a very very very basic template that they will have to build up immensely during the development process in order to ensure optimal performance. This is the first brick in a foundation made of thousands of bricks that developers still have to make themselves to develop an actual usable scaling feature. Understand?

That's assuming these are the only values for the profiles and across all text files which remains to be seen right now you're arguing off that basis which I find unlikely to be the case given how engines are.

No shit it's what they use to make a usable scalable feature that was the whole point to begin with, people were unsure how development would work with to different performance levels so didn't whether it involves making two versions or creating a version based on the lowest setting, this just tells them they can still get games taking advatage of dock performance. What you just posted is basically what I said in that a developed game will scale for the two modes using this, you've been arguing a context that isn't there apart from in your head, maybe it's the wording.